Exempt rivers and creeks Victoria - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All.
Very new to all this. Just to get my head around these issues. I have a question...
As an example....
Could I use a small sluice / pan and bucket in the Jordan River or Red jacket Creek (which is inside the Water Catchment Area of the Thompson River.)

Cheers

To answer your question on Jordon River & Red Jacket Creek, "no prospecting, its prohibited in the catchment area of the Thomson Dam. Sorry to disappoint but that is factual government regulation.

Flyfisher said:
To answer your question on Jordon River & Red Jacket Creek, "no prospecting is prohibited in the catchment area of the Thomson Dam. Sorry zero disappoint but that is factual government regulation.
No prospecting is prohibited? so that means all prospecting is allowed? If you want to make a point at least word it coherently.

its amazing that we live on one of the most productive gold areas in the world and can't access them. The big problem is people dont understand that modern day prospectors don't actually mine like the old timers. There isnt enough of us to force change, we our outnumbered to greenies by about 2000 of them to 1 of us. Something needs to change though, if you dont own a detector your getting discriminated against pretty strongly.

Unfortunately for us, there is also a bad minority that make a mess in their quest for easy money - they flout the prospecting guidelines and give us all a bad name. With restricted access, policing becomes easier, if largely unnecessary. Opening more areas, if and when it happens, will naturally come with increased costs to our Victorian Miner's Right to pay for increased policing of the prospecting areas. Given my distance from major gold producing areas, I am pretty happy with the licensing cost vs time spent ratio that I can personally manage at the moment; if costs went up I would have to seriously reconsider my interest in the hobby.

The problem is Marked is that 4x4ers, motorbikes go off the tracks and do damage too. yet we are banned and they still have free run. the problem is that people think prospecting is the same as mining. we dont dig 200 foot holes and leave a big mess, we wont shake it so i guess we just have to accept what is meant to be is meant to be. Its a shame some compromise cant be met half way and some rivers and creeks opened up to us.

onespecSteve said:
The problem is Marked is that 4x4ers, motorbikes go off the tracks and do damage too. yet we are banned and they still have free run...

Not quite a "free run" there's always rogues that will do their hobby/activity outside the law. Some bikes & 4x4s do go off the tracks but do so illegally - bit like some prospectors still go into national parks & dredge.
Either will attract a fine if caught.

In the interest of our hobby, best just to avoid waters on the list.

I'm sure there is not an active prospector in Australia that could have never stepped outside the boundaries of these laws. Damage one tree root and your no goody two shoes anymore.

Hare_Twigga said:
I'm sure there is not an active prospector in Australia that could have never stepped outside the boundaries of these laws. Damage one tree root and your no goody two shoes anymore.

i hope they dont include dead tree roots in their rules ?

I dont dig under living trees

a) coz i dont want to hurt the trees feelings , and i like oxygen

b) the very old trees that lived to be 60 years old then died 40 years ago gives us 100 years of gold under their roots . much more attractive proposition IMO

Hare_Twigga said:
Well is states: Remove or damage ANY tree or shrub on the land.

so it comes down to the definition of a tree

dead wood or dead tree is not a "tree" as it has no leaves , no sap and no feelings ;)

what a shame people are too scared to try and improve our currently ambiguous laws due to a fear that the resulting changes will be a worse stuff up than what we already have.

Next they will make a law to stop you from digging post holes with an excavator on private property. :eek:

Hare_Twigga said:
Next they will make a law to stop you from digging post holes with an excavator on private property. :eek:

true.... it might become as follows

Regulation NSW 104.666 , subrule 9564 , paragraph 12,255 :

All fence post holes must now be dug by approved wombats due to native title legislation and union regulations

and dont complain if your fence post holes are all at 45 degrees either.

Again no response still but have emailed Rita Bentley directly to see if she is able to follow up with MBC.
Energy and Resources have changed their referenced Gazette though on the list of exempted rivers and streams. A Gazette which is 33 years after the Gazette that was first referenced.
But the new referenced Gazette. Still says that this list is for lands excepted from occupation to be permanently reserved for the use of Public purposes

1395957937_lands_reserved_for_public_purposes.jpg

Latest posts