Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine it was one of three Australians who won at the 1904 Olympics. Unfortunately Wikipedia and numerous other sources have made a total mess of mixing up competitors and only mentioning two, one of whom actually competed for the USA while still Australian (Frank Gailey). Some sources show us as having won 2 medals at those games, others say none - it is all totally inaccurate. So Corrie Gardner (since the name of the third, the other Australian winner who competed for Australia not America, is not mentioned by mistake in any internet source). The official Olympic records of the games show no Australian medal winners.

The first time an Australian parliament gaoled someone under parliamentary privilege rules. He was the editor of a newspaper who wrote in a WA newspaper that the then minister for mines had "robbed the prospector to reward the capitalist" after a prospector tried to get the lease cancelled because it had been unworked by the company which owned it. The company was in liquidation at the time.

Good story, thanks.

John Drayton

edit; first time in WA - other states had applied the penalty.

Another job that went the same way as telephone exchange workers.

OK, I'll have another go lol. You might have given me a hint in which area to look with your printers' union affiliation.

How about the first Prime Minister of Australia from the Labor party - John Watson?

John Watson it is, not only the first Labor Prime Minister but more importantly the first Australian Prime Minister not to be born in a Commonwealth Nation, born in Chile

Over to you Macca

No worries Manpa - thks for the extra info.

I was born in Victoria but served with the British Army in WW1, rising to the rank of Captain. I was also involved in an Australian "first".

Not Lt Leslie Richmond.

After WW1 I practised successfully as a barrister in London. I married a woman I had known as a child. She was the daughter of a prominent squatter family in Victoria. Both of us were keen golfers.

I became best known - not for my military career, nor my law career, nor my diplomatic career - but for something only one person has ever achieved since.

My brother committed suicide in 1899. My father committed suicide two years later. My sister died after a long illness in 1908 and his mother in 2012. My other brother shot himself in 1919 after suffering from physical and mental injuries sustained in WW1.

I was once Chancellor of an Australian university and a residential college was named in my honour. I was on the board of the National Bank of Australasia and P&O. I was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by the Australian government.

Well done Manpa. He and John Howard the only two prime ministers to lose their own seats at an election.

I'll have another go tomorrow. Cheers