Gold Racer in the Field

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nenad, not sure if it's been asked yet but have you tried the 15.5 x 13.25 semi-elliptical coil yet and if so what are your thoughts on it?
Would the bigger coil make the Gold Racer more unstable in hot ground? Would the bigger coil gain much depth over the 10x5.5" ?

Pete.

PhaseTech said:
Mate the areas I'm running the GR are really overgrown and very hard to swing the big coil. I do have a couple places in mind where I think the big coil will be the right choice.
Fair enough, just curious to see how it would run.

One thing that I did find annoying on Tuesday was trying to get the Racer to stay upright when putting it on the ground to dig a target as the ground I was working was very uneven, with the small battery box footprint it seems to roll over easy making it a pain in the butt to sweep targets across the coil.

I think I've come up with a solution which doubles for another use, proof to how good it is will be out in the field next trip.

1477634822_dsc08932.jpg

1477634822_dsc08933.jpg

1477634822_dsc08934.jpg

1477634822_dsc08936.jpg

1477634822_dsc08937.jpg

If I want to film myself digging a target the tripod simply screws out and the camera can be tripod mounted a couple of meters away to capture the action.
I did have to cut a small section of hose to use as a sleeve between the shaft and tripod mount to get a good clamp but only took about 10 mins to make up/fit.

Ordered the Detekenix W6 Pro wireless headphones a few days ago and they arrived today, big thanks again Nenad.
The transmitter is simply stuck on the side of the arm cuff with velcro and should make detecting around scrubs and scrub a lot easier now.
It'll be a few weeks until I can get out detecting again but can't wait to get a free day and hit a couple of dry creek beds in Gippsland where there's plenty of bedrock and crevices to run the G19 coil over, also bought a 10" cold chisel to to pop in the crevicing kit bag and help gain access to and tight spots where the G19 coil finds a target.

1481786430_dsc08984.jpg

Lewy, did take the racer to Margaret area? If you did, I'd be interested in how it handled the ground, assuming you are talking about Margaret diggings....some of the hottest ground I've ever come across.

Last week I ordered the GR40 coil through Nenad and yesterday when I got home it was sitting inside waiting to be opened. I now have 11 days off work but can only squeeze a 2-3 day trip in due to other commitments so I'm really looking forward to getting some hours under the belt with the bigger coils on this next trip. Also found that the 3 coils fit nice n snug in the Pelican case I used to use for band stuff offering good protection.

I'll be sure to do a trip report when I get back but I just want to say a big thank you to Nenad again for delivering a great service, it's really made my day.

Happy Australia Day everyone :)

1485389485_dsc09015.jpg

1485389508_dsc09016.jpg

sorry davent just spotted your post.yes i took it to Margaret diggings.Seemed to handle the soil okay,much the same as bridge creek.They have heaps of sensitivity left to wind down if needed.No gold but was only a look around day,Just waiting for the dry now.

Hi Prospector Pete, looking forward to hearing a report on the big coil. I have one and haven't used it yet.
Jim

Hi Jim, hooked up the camper trailer this afternoon and heading off tomorrow morning coming back Sunday afternoon so should get enough hours on the new coil over the next 4 days to really compare to the standard 10 x 5.5dd.
I'm heading to a 'forgotten goldfield' in the hope it hasn't seen as many modern detectors, when I called through the place on my way home in December I pulled over and switched the Makro on with 7.5 x 4" coil for a 5 minute detect to see how hot the ground was and picked up a couple of .22 shell @ 3" deep within 5 meters of my ute, detector ran really smooth. The history of the gold on this field is pea sized nuggets in no particular pattern, just found at random depth and spread across the field, fingers crossed there's a few left behind with the Makro's name on it but I'll give a report on the trip regardless of any finds.

Hi Nenad (and everyone else contributing)

I think the racer gold might be the perfect machine for me based upon my activities. I mostly coin shoot but I love getting into the alluvial gold panning and high banking.

I think the gold will compliment my style by giving me a chance on finer jewelry and double checking tailings piles especially in the white pipeclay areas where I'm always concerned the sticky balls left over from classifying might be holding onto some decent pickers.

My main queries though are as follows.
In highly mineralised areas will it still find targets as small as birdshot within the first inch of soil? or would I be asking too much of it reasonably speaking. I have used an Sdc in the areas I've been in with good success but no longer own one.

Is it possible the gold could match or outperform an Sdc on white pipe clay mullock heaps and quieter less mineralised areas that have been surfaced?

Does anyone know if the gold actually finds consistant fine jewelry? It would be great to have something that narrowed earrings chains (I guess thin rings) down a little more than the other machines I've used.

Are you confident the machine "upscales" target id consistently ? Is anyone still digging some nasty flaky rusty trash with halos or can a user be confident of more consistant non ferrous finds that would "normally" fall on other machines I'd scale. Paired with my Fisher F75 this might be a great compliment to the arsenal, if the F75 (or deus imo) has one fault it's the sliding I'd of nonferrous ID at depth that always leaves you questioning to dig or not. If the gold could improve on dig/dont dig ratio would be great.

Lastly is any warranty transferable? If I buy new but sell does the new owner have warranty passed on to them inside the warranty period?

They might sound like silly questions but any help from any user would be appreciated.

Thanks .

Some great questions!

OldGT said:
Hi Nenad (and everyone else contributing)

I think the racer gold might be the perfect machine for me based upon my activities. I mostly coin shoot but I love getting into the alluvial gold panning and high banking.

I think the gold will compliment my style by giving me a chance on finer jewelry and double checking tailings piles especially in the white pipeclay areas where I'm always concerned the sticky balls left over from classifying might be holding onto some decent pickers.

My main queries though are as follows.
In highly mineralised areas will it still find targets as small as birdshot within the first inch of soil? or would I be asking too much of it reasonably speaking. I have used an Sdc in the areas I've been in with good success but no longer own one.

Nenad - Really depends on the actual mineralisation type. Every prospectors idea of what is highly mineralised might be different. If the ground is so hot that you are required to drop your Sensitivity below 40 and increase iSat to 9, then that is what I'd call pretty hot ground. In these spots the GRacer may struggle to pick up birdshot. In what I would class "moderate" mineralisation, the Gold Racer seems to handle it fine.

OldGT said:
Is it possible the gold could match or outperform an Sdc on white pipe clay mullock heaps and quieter less mineralised areas that have been surfaced?

Nenad - It depends what they surfaced down to - if it isn't very reactive, then the Gold Racer would be great for the job. In the surfaced areas I have come across in the golden triangle, 8/10 have been quite hot, so this is perfect SDC territory. White Pipe Clay heaps, no problem and yes I have found thin flakey pieces with the Gold Racer that the SDC struggles to see. In mild ground VLF's do stack up quite well, which is why in a lot of the US goldfields, for the Whites faithful a Goldmaster would be a better choice than a TDI for example; until a prospector experiences really hot ground, they have no desire for a PI.

OldGT said:
Does anyone know if the gold actually finds consistant fine jewelry? It would be great to have something that narrowed earrings chains (I guess thin rings) down a little more than the other machines I've used.

Nenad - It all comes down to how low in Target ID you are prepared to dig, as the lower you go the more foil and small bits of slaw you will pick up. I have picked up tiny bits of jewellery (mostly junkers) in playgrounds on a regular basis, so tend to dig anything over 40. I will even dig stuff it the 30's if trash levels are bearable. The clarity of signal makes you think you have something really good - the high freq bangs hard on stuff a lot of other coin machines don't even see.

OldGT said:
Are you confident the machine "upscales" target id consistently ? Is anyone still digging some nasty flaky rusty trash with halos or can a user be confident of more consistant non ferrous finds that would "normally" fall on other machines I'd scale. Paired with my Fisher F75 this might be a great compliment to the arsenal, if the F75 (or deus imo) has one fault it's the sliding I'd of nonferrous ID at depth that always leaves you questioning to dig or not. If the gold could improve on dig/dont dig ratio would be great.

This is a tough question as there are a lot of variables. How large is the target, how deep, how rusty/broken down is it, how is it laying in the ground, what is the soil mineralisation like etc etc. In simple terms, yes, you can get tricked on deep iron. The most I have been tricked is when running a high Sensitivity setting, and big flat iron targets. You tend to get a bit of a confused reading, but if it pings in the high range enough times to tell you you'd better investigate, then I usually do. After digging one or two of these, you will ignore the rest in that area. Go to a different spot, with different ground conditions and different type of targets and what you'll hear can be different. I only ever use the 7" elliptical coil when park hunting with the Gold Racer, as I want to maximise my separation, maximise my chances on jewellery, and the less depth the better as a: I don't want to dig deep, and b: that is usually where the big junk is.

The other variable is you have two Disc mode options. Disc 1 is the Fast recovery mode, and Disc 2 is the more aggressive "boost" mode, so you need to experiment and see which you prefer. I demo'd the differences in one of my videos.

OldGT said:
Lastly is any warranty transferable? If I buy new but sell does the new owner have warranty passed on to them inside the warranty period?

Nenad - Yes. I would just recommend any detector being sold to have the new owner details passed on to the dealer of original purchase.

Hope that helps, cheers.

Awesome Nenad I appreciate the time you've taken to offer answers as best as practical. I have a few areas I had some luck with a gmt I'd like to try at some point, and I think with transferable warranty this may be the next detector I buy to use in the highlighted ways above.

I will be sure to follow up on your videos, they are always informative and entertaining and simple to follow. I was unaware you had ones of the racer gold.

Thanks again.

I know I'm bumping old threads but I really like what this machine can do.

As budget constraints are limiting my enthusiasm with replacing an old Garrett, could I also use this machine to occasionally coin hunt parks when not looking for gold? I'm more interested in a gold machine that could hunt coins than a coin machine that may find gold if you get what I mean. I could set it up with the smaller coil for tight areas.
Are there better machines for this job in this price range? I may have a few spots, even though hard hit where this machine would find the small stuff others leave behind.

Thanks, Dave.

It's an excellent detector in this price range for both Gold and Coin hunting ..... original supplied 10x5" DD coil is on mine 90% of the time.

For a Gold Machine that can hunt coins, the Gold Racer is the best that comes to mind. That other one would be the Gold Kruzer, as that adds a 3-tone discriminate mode, and the 10x5" coil is a Concentric for even better target separation.

I have a kruzer and I am really impressed with it. Ive found quite a few pieces of gold and I would be confident with it as a relic machine as well. Great price too.

Thanks guys,

I will have a good look at both. Some of the videos finding small targets is amazing.