Fridge Behaviour ,

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering If any of you guys gals with 12v Fridges have ever noticed if the Compressor Rattles when you go over a bump when you are Driving on the Blacktop,

The Reason I ask is because I have owned 2 Snomasters, The 95L Expedition model and the 35L Leisure series and both of them do it

The ARB 47 and 78L don't do it and nor does my little Dometic CDF 18,

The little Dometic cycles similar to the 35L Snomaster where they will run for 3 or 4 minutes every half hour +/- but Boy does that little Snomaster Suck the power, I have seen it Draw 91 to 99+ watts while running, All of the Snomasters regardless of the size all use the Snomaster 66 watt Compressor which I call BS when it is sucking 99w while running on AC,

The Snomaste 66 watt compressor is just a bit smaller than the Danfos BD-50F Compressor which is the biggest one fitted in the ARB 78L, All the others have the BD-35F, Yet the BD-50F uses between 30 to 60w +/-,

But back to my maid concern is when you hit a bump in the road or move the fridge you can hear the compressor Rattle, So can anyone tell me if Any of the Engels or other brands rattle when your on the road or when you move them, ??

thanks in advance, J. :Y:

Rockhunter62 said:
Don't know John but my 2 Engels are fine. Don't have to buy any other fridges.

Cheers

Doug

Ya right there, If only I could get the Engel bloke on the phone I'd grab one in a heartbeat,

These Snomaster are really powerful when it comes to cooling but the power they use makes them no good in the bush unless you have a lot of solar power,

I think I want one of the Silver Engels for the Van, :Y:

I have an old Evercool, it must be 15+ years. The compressor rattle used to worry me for a while, but now don't seem to hear it. It has been an excellent fridge with plenty of use.

PS come to think of it now I think I did something to improve that? To long ago now.

Cheers
Peter

grubstake said:
Ridge Runner said:

Those Platinum-range models have recently been superseded here by the black MT-V range. Apart from the colour, differences appear to be very minor: the closure latch is bigger and the wire basket has some side reinforcements added:
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/engel-mt-v45f-fridge-freezer-40l/585382.html?cgid=BCF08246#start=2

Thanks for that,

That new one would match the Interior of the van because the Conversion is black and grey, I thought of the Silver one because the Van is Silver But the fridge is going inside so the new version would be better,

I am going to give the dealer one last try,

by the way, if they have a Rotary knob to set the Temp, What do the 2 buttons do ??

J.

Prooz said:
I have an old Evercool, it must be 15+ years. The compressor rattle used to worry me for a while, but now don't seem to hear it. It has been an excellent fridge with plenty of use.

PS come to think of it now I think I did something to improve that? To long ago now.

Cheers
Peter

I know Domestic fridges do it but all the 4x4 fridges don't except Snomasters and your old Evercool, I would of thought that would create a weakness,

That little Dometic is so Quiet I can sleep in the van and never hear it, so is the Snomaster, but ARB's are a bit louder and on the Blue ones the LCD is too bright at night, which makes it a target for someone to steal it at night when your not in the vehicle,

Ridge Runner said:
grubstake said:
Ridge Runner said:

Those Platinum-range models have recently been superseded here by the black MT-V range. Apart from the colour, differences appear to be very minor: the closure latch is bigger and the wire basket has some side reinforcements added:
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/engel-mt-v45f-fridge-freezer-40l/585382.html?cgid=BCF08246#start=2

That new one would match the Interior of the van because the Conversion is black and grey, I thought of the Silver one because the Van is Silver But the fridge is going inside so the new version would be better,

by the way, if they have a Rotary knob to set the Temp, What do the 2 buttons do ??

While retaining the familiar analogue temperature dial, modern Engels incorporate similar digital controls to those in Waeco and other brands:
  • temperature readings can be in Celcius or Fahrenheit;[/*]
  • monitoring of battery cut-in/cut-out voltages is adjustable to ensure batteries do not run flat;[/*]
  • error messages are displayed for various machine faults.[/*]

1584021598_engel_platinum1.jpg

No problem with my old Engel, don't hear anything from it when the engine is running. Sometimes I have to put my ear onto the cover to hear or feel the small vibration of it running, even engine off.

I reckon, at my tender age, that I rattle more, lol :)

condor22 said:
No problem with my old Engel, don't hear anything from it when the engine is running. Sometimes I have to put my ear onto the cover to hear or feel the small vibration of it running, even engine off.

I reckon, at my tender age, that I rattle more, lol :)

We're on the same page Condor! :p :lol:

Me too, I put my arms above my head and stretch and my Chest clunks where they sawed my rib cage in half,

I got that Snomaster 35L here and on AC it uses high watts when it is running but over a 24 hours it works out pretty much like any other fridge, In 2 hours I am going to re do the 12v DC test,

The Black 35L Snomaster is made from very cheap plastic and it marks very easily, It must be made of recycled plastic like the Plastic bumpers they put on cars in the 80's that had all swirls of different coloured plastics on the back of them I even saw a part of a shopping bag in the back of one Bumper and this fridge has Swirl patterns of different coloured black plastic in the Lid, and with the rattle in the Compressor when you hit a bump in the road of move the fridge unless you are very gentle with it, My brother had it for the past 6 months and didn't use it and it has a few scuff marks on it that won't come off, And he only had it in his car for a day when he took it home,

To be honest Snomasters are the most powerful fridges on the market and they get Cold faster than any other on the market bar non, but the build quality has to be worse than the cheapest budget fridge from China, The Stainless 95L version I had had a 6 inch gouge in the side of it when I unboxed it, And the power consumption was what you would expect from a large family domestic fridge freezer.

In the years I had my Engel, it had;

A few months in the boot of a TC Cortina (250cube)
3 yrs in the boot of an EB Falcon, when used.
8 yrs in the boot of a Ford Laser, tied down with a bit of rope
5 years in the back of an AU2 Falcon Wagon with tie down straps.
Occasionally over 4 years in the back of a Territory and in the house as a summer beer fridge/winter soup freezer
4 years fixed in the FJ Cruiser and I pushed it at Loveday 4x4 park among others
and 3 plus years in the Colly.

Has the original thermal cover I bought with it. No scratches or dents on the outside. Reasonable condition inside, but would wash n polish almost new. No rust. New switch late last year is all it's had done to it and it sounds (when I can hear it) the same as when it came out the box. :) Gotta luv that swing motor with only one moving part.

Hopefully (in many years, lol) "they" might take me off the bloody road before it gives up.......

condor22 said:
In the years I had my Engel, it had;

A few months in the boot of a TC Cortina (250cube)
3 yrs in the boot of an EB Falcon, when used.
8 yrs in the boot of a Ford Laser, tied down with a bit of rope
5 years in the back of an AU2 Falcon Wagon with tie down straps.
Occasionally over 4 years in the back of a Territory and in the house as a summer beer fridge/winter soup freezer
4 years fixed in the FJ Cruiser and I pushed it at Loveday 4x4 park among others
and 3 plus years in the Colly.

Has the original thermal cover I bought with it. No scratches or dents on the outside. Reasonable condition inside, but would wash n polish almost new. No rust. New switch late last year is all it's had done to it and it sounds (when I can hear it) the same as when it came out the box. :) Gotta luv that swing motor with only one moving part.

Hopefully (in many years, lol) "they" might take me off the bloody road before it gives up.......

You have to give Engel Credit when they make something that lasts that long, I have had my 47L ARB now for 4 years and 10 days and it has never skipped a beat, I haven't used the 78L yet because it is too big to lug around on my own, I tested it out and it was impressive considering it has the bigger BD 50F Compressor in it,

My next fridge will either be the New Black Engel if I can get that one over here Or one of the National Luna Twin Bins, If the Engel man doesn't Answer his phone then I will get the 60L N/L, They have an 8 year Warranty on their new Compressors, :inlove: :inlove:

Somewhere amongst all this lot, my old 1983 39Litre Engel (Old Yella) is purring away, freezing a 2 week supply of meat while camping remote.
The 60L Engel combo becomes a teenager next year, wouldn't dream of buying anything other than Engel. ****Have mention many times before on other posts; My mate has just bought his 6th fridge in this time, none of them Engels ****

1584143998_beprepared.jpg

condor22 said:
Tuna, that almost fits in to the "GBH" or "ABH" categories and it still loves you enough to keep going :)

Noooooo, That's was just a gentle Cuddle, He's big on fore play :inlove: :inlove:

Just out of a matter of interest Could someone measure the height of their Engel MT-45 from what it is sitting on with the Lid Up almost vertical cause I may have to do some mods to the Vehicle,, Thanks,

Latest posts