Replacing my GTP 1350.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Embers

Dave
Reaction score
Hey guys, first post from a long time lurker.

I have had a GTP 1350 that was a gift about 12 years ago. It has been a great companion, finding lots of decimals, old silver and chinese coins and some really cool relics. On a recent hunt it had a spasm, all the screen symbols lit up and the speaker would not stop growling. It would not respond to button pressing so had to be unplugged to stop it. I don't know if it is worth trying to have it fixed but the target profiling certainly stopped a lot of cans being dug and I will miss that feature.

I have been looking at the AT series for a while especially the gold as it would add a different type of detector to the stable and give me a bit more of a learning curve with ground balancing etc. I would use it when travelling to find more coins/relics and maybe a bit of gold that has eluded me. My wife uses an Ace 250 and I am finding it very basic after losing the GTP.

Any thoughts/ advice appreciated.

Thanks, Dave.

All of Garrett's AT series, including the AT Max, are a couple of generations behind truly modern metal detectors. I don't even recall hearing of the AT Gold succeeding on Australian nuggets - I don't think it can handle the mineralisation levels of Aussie goldfields dirt.

Do yourself a favour, check out the Euro single-frequency Nokta/Makro and XP brand detectors, or jump into the very latest multi-frequency Minelab Equinox or budget Vanquish models - they're all light years ahead of the tired old Yank designs, IMHO.

My choice was the AT Max instead of the AT Gold as it have more features, that is if you want to stay with Garrett.

There will be plenty that will attempt to steer you off your track, that will be for you to decide.

nesral said:
My choice was the AT Max instead of the AT Gold as it have more features, that is if you want to stay with Garrett.

There will be plenty that will attempt to steer you off your track, that will be for you to decide.

I'm not sure what that's meant to imply, but facts are facts, mate. Garrett's AT series are all single frequency VLF detectors, with the AT Max no more than a mish-mash of features from the two older models, even using the same old heavy coils. None of these detectors function well in wet sand at the beach or in highly-mineralised ground (typical of goldfields).

When I was dry sand beach detecting on a daily basis 4-5 years back, the AT Pro was my very successful weapon of choice, having tried various Fisher, Whites and Minelab alternatives, so I've got no particular brand loyalties - I just use the tool that works best for my needs.

Detecting for gold in Australia is a whole different ballgame - one that Garrett have consistently failed at since their glory days back in the late 1970's/early 1980's, when they were the only brand worth having, in my experience. Sadly, they just kept on pushing out variations on the same old designs and eventually Minelab came along and ate their lunch big-time.

For somebody like the OP, with a solid background of detecting experience, the alternatives I mentioned would all be a big step forward in features and capabilities, with the Minelab Equinox 800 probably taking pride of place with its proven abilities in both wet sand and gold-finding.

As said, since the question was with regards to Garrett's product.

nesral said:

I've used my AT anywhere from our gold fields to water hunting and wet beach hunting at full sensitivity, it's all about setting it up for the conditions.

AT Max have much more than the AT Pro, it do however rely on user input, which is good and preferable for we who know.

VLF is old technology and it's still used in the latest detectors, just because they add some fancy words/names it still do the same job as before and it still rely on the user to guide the coil over the targets.

To steer you of the Garrett track, perhaps have a look at a Nokta Simplex+ it is still available in Oz for $475.00, for the money it's heaps of fun/enjoyment to use.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Seems there are a lot of options, some I did not even know existed.
I received a reply to me inquiry to Garrett to find they no longer are able to support repairs to my old detector. I still have the 2 Pro-formance Elliptical coils that came with it, are they suitable for any other machines?

I think the only other detector that uses those coils is the GTAx 550, maybe worth trying to sell as a non-functioning spares package for another user.

There are so many players offering capable VLF detectors at the moment, I'd just start with several detectors within your budget and do some research to see what features are desirable. Unfortunately with the current unfavourable exchange rates, the AT range doesn't exactly offer value for money when compared to what your money could buy from other manufacturers - especially when you can purchase multi-frequency or selectable frequency detectors for much less money.

Embers said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

Seems there are a lot of options, some I did not even know existed.
I received a reply to me inquiry to Garrett to find they no longer are able to support repairs to my old detector. I still have the 2 Pro-formance Elliptical coils that came with it, are they suitable for any other machines?

Only GTP and GTAx series detectors uses the same coils.