today i went fishing and caught

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a spectacular fish. A 38cm Grunter or Spotted Javalinfish.
But very unusual, where I caught it.
Caught just North of Coffs Harbour in NSW at a place called Red Rock.
1583731050_1583666975485_fishbrain.jpg

LoneWolf said:
Ah Red Rock... Caught many Jew Fish there.... Since moving away from Woolgoolga, I haven't caught a decent fish since...

LW...
Funny that....this was at Jewfish point!
Should be called Mangrove Jack after dark, point.
My old man lives in the area, biggest flathead I have ever seen was near this spot.

Most of the Jewies are caught off the Beach on the Southern side of the 'Red Rock', but you do get the occasional one that ventures up the creek...

I have seen some very nice Flathead caught there as well as some big Mangrove Jacks...
Same in Moonee Creek as well...

Mrs Wolf keeps reminding Me 'Who caught the Biggest Flatty' at Red Rock... :argh: :)

LW...

davent said:
Brumble-Gum said:
Not a spectacular fish. A 38cm Grunter or Spotted Javalinfish.
But very unusual, where I caught it.
Caught just North of Coffs Harbour in NSW at a place called Red Rock.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s/1569/1583731050_1583666975485_fishbrain.jpg

Looks a bit different to the grunter / javelin fish we get in the north.did it "croak" looks more like a bream in body shape, but has the right spots and small head of a grunter.

Yes did make the typical grunting noise.

Yeah def a Javelin Grunter, Yellowfin Bream have a much more rounded head and the stepped dorsal fin is a give away.

Yellowfin Bream
1585186370_yellowfin-bream.jpg

Javelin Grunter
1585186381_javelingrunter.jpg

Either way, I'm tonguing for a feed of fresh saltwater fish! I miss spending almost every weekend out on the boat at SWR.

I have caught Jack's as far south as Korogoro Ck at Hat Head, after a few runs, you soon realise they are not lazy lizards.

goody2shoes said:
salt and vinegar chips as a crumb on fish yummy and in batter yummy and yummy

Plus it is good on Flathead

Goody

That's a great idea thanks goodie! I found out in recent years that I have a Gluten allergy. I'm even down to drinking gluten-free beer now as otherwise I end up feeling like crap. Next time I have fish fillets I'll give the salt and vinegar chip crumbs a go. :Y:

Latest posts