Another WW2 soldiers ID disc found last night, trench art coin!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well guys walking through the ww2 training bush last night and found where a soldier lost his wallet, few coins and this beauty! Now with help from lots in the know its now narrowed down to these 2 soldiers! WW2 nom roll are onto it for me but will take a couple weeks to find out who it belongs to as his number doesnt come up as they are currently updating records...
Untitled by Marc Russo, on Flickr

One of these 2 guys...

1582257778_img_5303.jpg

1582257792_img_5304.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but the regimental number on that dog tag is V245726, and A.J. McClure is a Presbyterian.

It doesn't look like a conventional dog tag, because it doesn't have a hole in it. They normally came as a pair, at least from later conflicts, not sure about this vintage.

And it's interesting, because the numbers allocated to the 2nd AIF, had an 'X' after the 'V'. No id tag would have left the 'X' from the number. I wonder if it's actually WW2? Could be earlier?

Another email i recieved...
Subject: RE: Solders Id we cant find V245726 "A J McClure" [TO BE CLASSIFIED] [SEC=OFFICIAL]

Marc

I believe that you have already spoken with Cristina.

This is your man

https://nominal-rolls.dva.gov.au/veteran?id=493154&c=WW2#R

I checked records yesterday and he enlisted at Kyneton Vic on 23 Dec 41 with V245726 then issued VX88426 , he transferred to the AIF in Geraldton in 1942.

He died in 1978.

Hope this helps.

RM Outback said:
Well done :clap: :clap: great results I hope you find their son it will be a great ending :Y: good luck.

Cheers mate, got a few leads as of just now so its looking good

Well guys we done it! We found the soldiers son and to say he is happy is an understatement . He is over the moon and i will be posting the coin Id tag and other coins i found in the same spot to him today!
He send me a photo of the soldier ( His dad) and picture of his medals and a personal email all about his dad. He also sent me photos of all his enlistment and war records to read. So happy its turned out so well!

Just one page of his records, the medals he recieved...

Great research and fantastic work, Marc! Loved this story!

Congratulations, and there's sure to be some good karma coming your way! :)

Cheers,
Megsy