Steel Phase Enhancer for QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I sent this email to Pat

I am interested in a Steel Phase for my QED. Been a lot of discussion on Gold Prospecting Forum about QED lack of volume. Has the Steel Phase been adapted to the QED yet. If so what do I need to purchase for a QED setup. I prefer earbuds are these compatible

I Got this reply

The sP01 won't be adapted as it stands to suit the QED, otherwise it won't suitable for any other detectors. Currently it will work with the QED but wont be driven to its full potential as the output level of the QED is low.

I am bringing out another unit (I'll be testing it on a QED at the Australian Gold Expo in March) that has a higher output, which may compensate the low QED output.

Hi Dave.

Phrunt (over on DP forum) has established that the SPO1 will work on the QED as long as you are using headphones or earbuds that will work when directly plugged into the QED. If they work directly plugged they will also work used through the SPO1.

At this point though, the QED/SPO1 will not work with
- external speakers.
- headphones/earbuds that do not have sufficient volume when plugged direct into the QED.

Hopefully that is what the unit to be tested in March will achieve.

Pat, if I've flupped up any of that please correct it.

:Y:

Yep thats all correct. The QED only has line level output which doesnt drive any enhancer/booster designed for detectors to its full potential. Nearly all other detectors have headphone level output.

The new model I am bringing out is not a sP01 replacement. It will be a slightly lower cost unit designed just to drive speakers. It will has a higher gain which may work than better than the sP01 with the QED

regards
Pat

steelPHASE said:
Yep thats all correct. The QED only has line level output which doesnt drive any enhancer/booster designed for detectors to its full potential. Nearly all other detectors have headphone level output.

The new model I am bringing out is not a sP01 replacement. It will be a slightly lower cost unit designed just to drive speakers. It will has a higher gain which may work than better than the sP01 with the QED

regards
Pat

Hi pat. Will you have a demo of the sp02 running on a qed at the bendigo gold expo? Im interested in seeing it run with the qed supplied logitech speaker to see how it goes with the threshold

hippyhunter said:
steelPHASE said:

regards
Pat

Hi pat. Will you have a demo of the sp02 running on a qed at the bendigo gold expo? Im interested in seeing it run with the qed supplied logitech speaker to see how it goes with the threshold

I'll have a demo sP02 at the Expo but I dont have a QED. Hopefully someone will bring one along.

It wont be suitable to use with the Logitech speaker as it will overdrive the Logitech input. It will be ideally suited to run a dual speaker system.

ronniecruisin said:
Does it work and are there any real benefits for Whites TDI Detectors????

Yes it will work on the Whites machine and provide similar benefits to what it does with the Minelab machines. I think it does require a different input cable though as do the Garrett and QED machines.

regards
Pat

Thanks for that Pat. Could the input cable problem just be a converter plug.ei Something from Jaycar?

steelPHASE said:
hippyhunter said:
steelPHASE said:

regards
Pat

I'll have a demo sP02 at the Expo but I dont have a QED. Hopefully someone will bring one along.

It wont be suitable to use with the Logitech speaker as it will overdrive the Logitech input. It will be ideally suited to run a dual speaker system.

Cool. I will bring mine along so can check it out

steelPHASE said:
It wont be suitable to use with the Logitech speaker as it will overdrive the Logitech input..

Is that just because the logitech speaker is an active speaker?

ronniecruisin said:
Thanks for that Pat. Could the input cable problem just be a converter plug.ei Something from Jaycar?

No its to do with how the headphone sockets are wired compared to that of the Minelab machines. Its not a huge issue. I can send the appropriate input cable on request.

regards
Pat

hippyhunter said:
steelPHASE said:
It wont be suitable to use with the Logitech speaker as it will overdrive the Logitech input..

Is that just because the logitech speaker is an active speaker?

Yes. The logitech only requires a line level input to drive it where as the sP02 puts out a high level capable of driving speakers.

It will be good if you can bring your QED. I will be interested to see if the QED will drive the sP02 to its full potential.

regards
Pat

steelPHASE said:
It will be good if you can bring your QED. I will be interested to see if the QED will drive the sP02 to its full potential.

regards
Pat
I will bring it at opening time on the saturday. Am keen to see/hear the results also. Being able to use a speaker with suitable audio is very appealing to me as an option.