Found padlock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI All.
First time posting.
We found this padlock. It was quite deep in the ground. Looks like iron and brass. Possibly handmade, as there's no inscription. Any ideas on identification and value etc?
Thanks in advance.
Kerry
1583359155_padlock.jpg

Nice find without a mark difficult to Id but i suggest do a search and try to find a similar lock plate as thats a bit different to Norm i suggests a date of 1850s-80s

thanks Indi. Will do a little investigation. However, when I put a magnet to the 'brass' looking area, it still magnetised so can't be brass?

The magnet is attracted to the steel underneath the brass, that is normal.
Completely cover it in neat molasses (Woolworths) and let it soak for a month or so, you may be able to get it working.

You obviously haven't been shown the old trick of moving an iron/steel object around on a table top without touching it using a magnet underneath table.?

Clearly, you have had your hands in Mrs Deepseekers undergarments, and I must ask you to cease and desist immediately!

The padlock is circa 2009, and was fitted to Mrs D's Chastity belt shortly after the birth of our second and youngest child. The key was hidden or destroyed apparently, and I take my hat off to you for figuring out how to remove it :Y:

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

I should show my very first find.,...and it wasn't in Mrs Deepseeker's undergarments, whatsoever. My first time out, the detector was beeping. We dug and dug, and uncovered a bottle. We were so very novice (still are - this was only six months ago) that we were saying 'why is a glass bottle beeping'. I kept scratching out the contents - hmmm. what's all these gold flecks?
1583376455_1.jpg

1583376455_2.jpg

1583376455_3.jpg

1583376455_4.jpg

1583376455_6.jpg

Completely cover it in neat molasses (Woolworths) and let it soak for a month or so, you may be able to get it working.

Do I need to dilate the molasses?

Dargo said:

Do I need to dilate the molasses?

No, mate - that's why Nightjar said "neat" (meaning straight, with nothing added. ie. undiluted).

And as for your jar of gold - wow, what a fantastic find! Congratulations. :rainbow:

G'day Dargo welcome to PA, did you find it around Dargo :) no don't give away your spot just kidding :Y: The Paddock is definitely antique :Y: but I doubt you will get it to working order just by bathing it in molasses. It will have to be restored to working order by a Locksmith who knows what their doing. Your best bet to find the right locksmith is to check who the antique dealers are using. I restored heaps of antique locks many years ago during my apprenticeship and a few years after, now days I'm to busy plus I don't have all the gear I'd need. The internal workings will be brass and steel and once opened might need a complete rebuild which will be expensive due to the labour requirements, making parts by hand. With just a clean up it will make a great ornamental piece and if you happen to find the maker print out the detail to include. Definitely looks to be 19th century but could be early 20th to, I'm thinking British manufacturer but could be early Australian or American.

And what a great surprise and find that bottle is :perfect: that is a ripper have you got a weight of the gold. Can you tell me what machine you are using and the depth it was found, I'd be concentrating on that spot and really working it who knows what other treasures might be there :beer:

Latest posts