Rotapan information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
calala said:
They are the rotapan they had a name change. Cheers :)

yes & no..... the Rotapan and the Cresswell MGC (aka Mini Gold Concentrator) are the same device from the same manufacturer. Why then the different name? it's because the Rotapan is intended for sale only to buyers outside of Australia and it is shipped minus the bucket. My MGC is on it's way to me and in time after a good field test I'll post my impressions.

casper

Iv moved a lot of dirt with a rotapan they do work quite well, there is a special technique in its operation that won't loose gold but it is useless in clay "forget it" but overall excellent for general creek gravels etc... Don't think it won't use much water it depends on the water level to be topped up to flush lighter meterial through, and you have to lower the sieve gently after you emptying otherwise you flush out your catch tray' nice gentle movements.

Mine had the newer deep catch tray and I added a circle of marine carpet in the bottom and a few washers to the shaft to lift the height just a touch, and I cleaned the catch tray out as soon as the dirt touched the base of the tray.

Best part about it all your tools (fold up spade) fit in the bucket with it so great for traveling or limited space.

There's also a plastic version called the "gold rush nugget bucket" that looks interesting.

Try gumtree, people sell them from time to time.

I bought one years ago but never took to it. Biggest problem was that it wasn't smooth, the central sieve part always caught when trying to throw the gravel out. It kind of worked and the idea was sound but just didn't quite seem to work well in practice. I'm sure others probably had more luck with them, but my own experience with one wasn't the best.

I've never used the nugget bucket, but if l were buying again now l think l would go for it over the rotapan. The nugget bucket is probably easier to operate and the rotapan rusts once the gravel scratches the coating. The nugget bucket would probably wear out with enough use, but guessing that would be quite a bit of use and no rust and far cheaper.

I love my Rotapan, it gets more use than my river sluices because there is no set-up and it classifies and concentrates your washdirt all in one operation, and as for not 'working well in practice' [Matt80] Well! all I can say about that is that "practice makes perfect" as my dear departed mum would say if she was here. And yes, you will get surface rust in between uses but the best way to control the rust is use it more often :D

I got mine here http://www.cresswellengineering.com.au/

It's perfect for 'testing' aka "prospecting" new areas and here is the 'pay' from 20 minutes of pumping in a Gippsland creek.

1526468590_img_6627.jpg

1526468591_img_6673.jpg

1526468591_img_6678.jpg

Philthy said:
I might sell mine Moe.

I haven't used it for awhile.
Drop me a line and I can sort some pics for you.
I was just wondering if you were still in the market to sell?

Latest posts