NQMA Making Detecting On Leases Illegal.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
madtuna said:
Not going to quote the whole thing but Cam wrote : " Respectfully peopel should avoid application areas, unfortunately the appearance of an application on the map seems to attract wrong-doers."

So you are saying it's unethical to detect on ground that a lease has been applied for but not yet granted?

Don't know much about QLD but in WA that is perfectly fine and perfectly legal.
The person(s) who've applied for the lease have every right to detect the ground just as much as the next bloke while the application is pending, which can be months to years in some cases.

*except if it's my pending lease in which case you can all eff off! :D

What some prospective lease holders chose to not understand is the meaning of the word "pending". It is just that, there is no lease in place until it's approved unless of course it is over an active lease. I have a 'new lease' here in Cue but it's not mine yet because it's Pending. Free for all until approved because it's on unallocated crown land. Of course it has native title but then I think everything has :awful:

Phil, it is noted here... that 'people' look for who has pegged what recently, by studying mines on line, and then targetted that area intently.. Not fair!!

I'm old school... :|

I am even older School.
Do not even think about posting shit like this.
You have been warned...

best stay out of WA then Simmo
It's no ones ground until it is granted and threatening to shoot someone doing what's perfectly legal is not real sensible.

Pending might not mean shite to you but it means a shite load legally.

Cam said:
boobook said:
Hi Claire.
In response to your missive, I would refer you to point (1) Where you state that " some States/Territories require you to provide written advice to the exploration licence holder prior to entry"

OK... this is pure crap... in WA for you to gain entry for prospecting on an EP (exploration permit) you need to apply for and be granted a section 40e permit at a cost of $90
You DO have to advise the PLH of your intended entry and you Do have to advise the EP holder of your prospecting results.

Please don't waste too much time on this topic, you are way out of your depth. ;)

Cheers
mike

Righto Mike. I am based in Qld, working in Qld. I don't work with WA legislation. This whole conversation began based upon a Queensland topic. So to clarify - you do not have to notify an exploration permit holder in Queensland of your intention to fossick in the area of their exploration permit. You do need consent of the land holder, unless it is unallocated state land. Better?
Is this the current QLD legislation?

Bloody bureaucracy, red tape, legalities, the whole lot is purposely made to be obfuscating to enable shiny bums to keep employed. Can't they just make a mud-map showing locations where people can pan, detect, etc. and put it on the web for anyone to download. How effing simple, but no.

A carton of beer over the table use to suffice but now it's just shy of the whole pub.

Only room for the big boys potentially soon.

Simmo said:
Cheers Love,
But I would have done exactly what you said.... let sleeping dogs lie.....

More shite going down? Ring me if you wish?

No worries.

:Y:
Cam said:
Hi all,

My attention has been drawn to this conversation twice in recent months and asked to provide an opinion/comment. I generally don't have an interest, or the time to participate in these conversations but there is a lot of mis-information being shared in this conversation. I am a Tenement Consultant, and a keen fossicker (not gold - gemstones and other dirty rocks are my thing).

Over the last 5 or so years, I have had cause to speak with the Mines Department to clarify fossicking rules with both hats on. A few key points are below. Being Friday afternoon, I'm not going to pull out sections of various Acts for reference but I dot point key facts.

1. An exploration permit, granted or otherwise does not provide exclusive grant of the area despite what exploration permit holders may desire. As far as I am aware, this holds true for every State in Australia, however some States/Territories require you to provide written advice to the exploration licence holder prior to entry.
2. An exploration permit grants you the right to explore and essentially first option to develop the resource into production tenure - a holder does not own the mineralisation. Minerals must not be won through exploration activities. IF an exploration permit holder permits a Metal Detector entry, they should be following the conditions of the Land Access Code (2016) as it relates to their tenure - notification to the Land Holder is required. This is pretty murky though, as the intention is to win minerals (see note above).
3. A mining lease application does not prohibit grazier or fossicking activities. If a land holder provides consent for that area, it is considered lawful. Don't blame me, I don't like it either. Respectfully peopel should avoid application areas, unfortunately the appearance of an application on the map seems to attract wrong-doers.
4. The NQMA HAS discussed the matter of mining lease applications becoming off limits for fossicking activities with the Mines Department. After again being pointed to this thread today, I phoned Townsville and spoke with a Manager today and was advised that although the matter had been explored and discussed with high levels of government and legal advice sought, no changes to the current Fossicking Act 1994 are proposed to be made at this time.
5. Someone mentioned EPM's being held and no exploration activities having ever being carried out. We are entering a new age where EPM holders are being held to account and they are being made to prove their activities, apply for variations and state their cases if they have failed to meet their obligations. in 2019 a significant area of land was opened up after companies were made to relinquish sub-blocks and surrender permits in their entirety due to failure to meet exploration and expenditure conditions. The landscape is changing.
6. The Palmer River Resource Reserve (formerly the R16) strictly prohibits fossicking/metal detecting activities. Consent by the Land Holder will not be given therefore you will be trespassing. It is disrespectful to the Cultural & Heritage values of the area and to the Miners who are conditioned heavily with their activities as they relate to those values.
7. I have been advised in two separate conversations, with two officers in the Field and Land Access team that the State of Queensland is not interested in pursuing prosecution against trespassers when it comes to fossicking activities. This appears to be the position of multiple agencies who have authority to pursue these matters (I will let you infer meaning, I won't elaborate). This is causing a lot of friction with Land Holders, I speak with multiple each week. Some of these guys may actually allow you to enter and detect if you approach them in the right manner rather than sneak in (not suggesting members of this forum do this, but many do).
8. Prospecting permits are not really issued any more with the exception of the purposes of pegging. You can make an application but native title must be addressed and a security payable to DNRME is payable. I spoke with (yet another) DNRME staff member today who advised that they do not issue them these days.
9. There has been a bit of mud-slinging on this public forum. Not real cool. In relation to the NQMA, if you have questions, attend a meeting. They are held 5 times a year in Mareeba and are generally open to any person wishing to attend. If you have concerns about industry, or your rights get involved and have your say. Emailing via the info email is okay, but I imagine pretty time consuming for a volunteer committee.
10. A lot of BS gets around about the Goldhounds, often by people with axes to grind for one reason or another. A lot of the information relating to the compliance action is mis-represented in the gossip. As Dave wrote earlier, a right to information application was sought and some things came to light. I do not want to get into it in an open forum. These are good men with families and the continued smearing of them over what amounts to malicious gossip is slanderous (in my opinion in any case). Let sleeping dogs lay (pun intended) and move on.

I am not allowed to post links due to my Newbie status but you can easily Google the fossicking (and prospecting) rules and responsibilities (Queensland Business Website), the Fossicking Act 1994 & the Fossicking Regulations 2019.

I don't want to commit a lot of time to this ongoing topic but if you have any questions, shoot them this way and I will try to clarify when I have time.

Cheers
Claire

Umm nothing???
Clare commented back then and I said let sleeping dogs lie....
We then spoke on the phone, and have heard nothing since??
All good in my neck of the woods??

Reading up, there have been many posts deleted it seems....

Simmo said:
Umm nothing???
Clare commented back then and I said let sleeping dogs lie....
We then spoke on the phone, and have heard nothing since??
All good in my neck of the woods??

Reading up, there have been many posts deleted it seems....

Righto Simmo, It just read to me that you had something new to share. Being a mate I would expect to hear from you first than on a prospecting site, you have my number buddy.

Nah Dave, nothing new mate.
We are bigger than that and we can yell and shout our opinions about Gold or Fish...
Without anger... coz we are mates!

Clair must have deleted some stuff....
I asked her to leave sleeping dogs lie.....
She rang me, (message) agreed that she should have.....

I have not pushed this agenda any more bud!!!
My opinions are well known...
The prospectors that have permission to be on my leases can still do so!!

Anyone else found trespassing on my leases, will be charged!!
Should I have an MLA in the future, I will defend that ground. Thats just my opinion!

Simmo said:
Nah Dave, nothing new mate.
We are bigger than that and we can yell and shout our opinions about Gold or Fish...
Without anger... coz we are mates!

Clair must have deleted some stuff....
I asked her to leave sleeping dogs lie.....
She rang me, (message) agreed that she should have.....

I have not pushed this agenda any more bud!!!
My opinions are well known...
The prospectors that have permission to be on my leases can still do so!!

Anyone else found trespassing on my leases, will be charged!!
Should I have an MLA in the future, I will defend that ground. Thats just my opinion!

Yeah all good then mate,Basically just over all the crap,Gold hounds were here and did this. Some of the stations we have never even heard of before.Anyhow I agree a 100% on your thoughts on ML and MLA 's, people do the hard yards to find and prove up ground then spend a small fortune and years of waiting for it to hopefully come to a MLA. But i disagree with any attempt for the same on EPM'S in Queensland they are not exclusive and just gives the miner the first right to peg. We have also had our previous MLA'S hammered by operators even our EPM'S. Cheers Dave.

There's a big push for some areas to open up on the R16 for locals to legally have a dig and swing a pick, prospecting is not only a hobby but a passion and way of life, true enthusiasts are not going to just give up their passion simply because they live too far away from a GPA, this forces people who are otherwise straight law abiding people to be sneaky, mainly referring to the R16 not leases, this is where the problem lays, due to the government restrictions the average joe blow is going to look for a nice quiet spot on the reserve and shoot off away from the roads to enjoy his passion and his entitlement as an Australian citizen, many of these people have not researched or planned out their areas they intend to work due to they fact they have to be opportunistic as they are breaking the law. Then these people wonder off into the bush not knowing where active leases are and end up stealing a leaseholders gold or trespassing on their lease. So effective prohibition on prospecting in the palmer if a negative for the every day metal detectorist and also the leaseholders as they are effectively forced into situations where walking across that invisible boundary is inevitable. Right or wrong what ever your beliefs about illegally prospecting on a "gold reserve" the R16 it's the only place for locals to go so it will continue to happen and is not something you can stop. It's in all party's interests to find a mutual ground and help eachother out, give the everyday prospectors an area to swing a pick and have a play in. Make it esay to understand where your allowed to be and where your not and it completely removes all the people who would love to do the right thing but accidentally cause a drama by crossing an invisible lease line, as for the other people they will still do the wrong thing these people will continue to enter leases and more than likely actively know and chose to do so, you can't stop these people with any laws you can only catch and prosecute.

It's daunting and difficult for many people to find or make contact with land owners or leaseholders, take the palmer for example, I have not meet or found a contact for the new parmerville station owner, but in past times the local stations basically had a generic answer of "piss off" as they have their own vested gold interests. Then you talk to friends, mates or people that know about the area and you hear the story's of it being the Wild West, people being killed, shot at, the talk about growing and making drugs and who uses them, it's rumour central out there, really paints a bad and dangerous image to a visitor or newbie. So you find out you can't get land permission, you find out it's a wild place but you go for a look anyway to try get permissions, when you get there every side road has sinage that indicates your very much not welcome to leave the main track, you want to ask the leaseholder if your ok for a look but your worried you'll get shot, the signs look like they'll shoot you, and your also trying to be respectful and not just show up un announced on their lease as a stranger. While I'm very against prospecting on somebody's lease and I would never do it I can understand people sneaking onto the R16 for a swing or a pan as it's their only option and they have been intimidated to prospect there, this area is not well set up as a public access and not signed and mapped for them so they will end up walking into somebody's lease without knowing. Simmo I see you brought up the possibility of a "pay to play" area opening up outside of the R16 this should help solve some headache for lease owners and serve as a good place to send the tourists. I hope this comes true, also if your allowed to say anything more about it I'd love to hear from you.

Hi CooktownGold,
I very much doubt that any land will be opened up for a GPA in the R16.
Too many court battles have been fought by miners, in relation to access/Ilua/histrical sgnificance etc.
(I think I was in land court 3 times last year?)

I agree, that in the past, the Owner of Palmerville was not welcoming at all to prospectors or miners.
Therefore for years, people have incorrectly thought that they could venture on to a relatively 'safe' area being the R16.

The rumoured land that I have heard opening up is actually on Palmerville. There is a meeting to discuss this in coming days I believe.
This is because the new owners of Palmerville are a tad more approachable than the last.

How can I find out who the owner of an EPM is so that I can ask their permission to enter? I'm looking at QLD Globe, which shows the EPM's, but not any contact details..

Latest posts