You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Ark
02 February 2019 10:10 am

Hello everyone, I've recently become interested in prospecting and was wondering what brand of metal detector I should buy? (Preferably under $1000)

Northeast
02 February 2019 10:43 am

Hi Ark,

Welcome to the forum.

Some threads below asking similar questions. The search function with different versions of "which first detector" will bring up lots more answers.

Big thing is "what are you looking" for? Coins Vs gold nuggets will mean a different answer.

Other questions are what type of mineralisation will you be dealing with, have you ever tried detecting before (most people find it dead boring), maybe hire a detector first, how often are you going to detect, etc, etc.

Minelab are great and cover the whole range. Garrett, Deus, White's, Nokta, Fisher, QED - they all have their own models and their own pros and cons.

Happy hunting.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … p?id=27379

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … p?id=25975

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … p?id=13059

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … hp?id=5330

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … hp?id=4233

3 users like this post: Ramjet, roy cobb, mbasko

roy cobb
02 February 2019 11:13 am

Hi Ark like NE said we need more information as there is a wide range of gpod detectors out there and the more drtail the better wr can help .
Roy

GPX 4000 with coils Eureka Gold 15" coilteck coil 6" coiltek Minelab pinpointer X terra dual pack plus 6" 3 khz coil Grey Ghost Headphones Tyger digging tools and a NAPFA member and now a Equinox 800

silver
02 February 2019 12:03 pm

I see Ridge Runner is selling his right at this moment thumbsup
link to thread. big_smile
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 62#p468562

What a great day ! ,... " I'll see you in the field ".

1 user likes this post: ProspectorPete

Ark
02 February 2019 01:28 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies. to answer your questions @northeast I'll be looking for coins since my area doesn't really have any precious minerals / gemstones that I'm aware of. I'm located in Mildura so the area ill be detecting will be in the bush / next to the river. i haven't tried detecting before so I'll definitely hire a detector if its possible in my rural area to see if I enjoy it or not. lastly I got interested in this because I'm looking for a hobby to get me outside of the house more often so I'd like to go one - two times every time two weeks. thank you for all of your help

3 users like this post: silver, Northeast, goldtruck59

mbasko
02 February 2019 02:09 pm

If you're just looking for coins then the MXT All Pro Ridge Runner has for $680 would be a great buy. Do a deal for a few of the coils & you'll be set. The MXT All Pro retails for over $1400aud at the moment on its own so a lightly used one with some coils at Johns price is terrific value.

If you want to buy new an Equinox 600 for around $800 is hard to go past.

Both the above would give you good all round versatility for the price & capable of covering coins/relics plus gold detecting in the right areas.

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

8 users like this post: silver, grubstake, Eldorado, ProspectorPete, roy cobb, cabwoody, Ded Driver, Thomo

Northeast
02 February 2019 02:38 pm

Mbasko’s advice is spot on thumbsup

3 users like this post: Eldorado, roy cobb, Thomo

backerl1
02 March 2020 06:09 am

Thank you so much for sharing this! For me, as a user of different metal detectors, this video was very interesting and useful. I'm an archaeologist, and due to my job, I am using the metal detectors pretty often. Recently, I have bought a very nice metal detector, called Garrett ACE 400, click here to read more about it, and I am really satisfied with it, as it has a lot of functions. However, I was always curious about how is a metal detector made and how does it work. Now I know more about it. Thank you for sharing this cool video, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by backerl1 (02 March 2020 06:10 am)

GLOBE
29 March 2020 12:40 pm

Yes,interested too..plus best place in NSW to look for gold?

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
31 March 2020 10:45 am

Ark, I'd say Makro Kruzer or Nox 600 would suit you well.

Agent for Minelab, Nugget Finder, Nokta & Makro, Quest, Detech, SteelPhase - Phase Technical Website

Scottyc
19 May 2020 10:27 pm

Evening All,
I too am interested in doing some prospecting, mainly for gold in the bendigo and surrounding areas. although id say every bit of ground has been searched but it gets me out of the house.
i have the opportunity to buy an E-trac but i dont think its they way to go for my first detector.
There is so much to learn. looking to spend approx $1000

1 user likes this post: Northeast

Northeast
19 May 2020 11:00 pm

Hi Scotty.

The second post in this thread has some good links to threads about the same question - choosing a first detector.

The fact you know you want to prospect for gold is a good start.

This is also a great link but it is US $ so just need to convert to Aus.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/maga … detectors/

Being around Bendigo a PI would be an advantage due to mineralisation but a VLF will do a job and also give you the versatility of doing a bit of coin/jewellery/park/beach/lake hunting.

Good luck.

Moneybox
20 May 2020 11:35 am

We spend a fair bit of time using a metal detector, usually searching for gold but we're interested in relics as well and have separate detectors for that. For those times when we don't have the energy to swing the detector or just want a reason to get out and about we spend a bit of time Geocaching.

I'm not trying to distract you from this fabulous hobby but some simply don't enjoy it and Geocaching is a great incentive to get you out and about, is more of a shared experience and can be suitable to all ages and ranges of physical ability.

Often we're heading off to some distant (secret) location in the search of gold or treasure when we need a spot to stop for lunch or an overnight stay. Mrs M will just log in to our geocaching app and find a geocache somewhere not too far ahead but usually off the beaten path. It adds another dimension to the journey smile

Phil, Sandra & Taz - GPX4500's, SDC2300's, White's Goldmaster GMT, Equinox 800, pans, sieves and more in a 4WD motorhome.

Scottyc
20 May 2020 03:24 pm

Thanks for the replies,
i think i have made my mind up on what direction i will go.
just need to decide between the Equinox 800 and the Gold monster 1000.
So many decisions and i haven't even left the house yet, i will be a nerves wreck by the time i get to hit the field.
my theory is a bad day detecting should be better than my best day at work.

Scott

Pete E
20 May 2020 05:15 pm

Scottyc wrote:

Thanks for the replies,
i think i have made my mind up on what direction i will go.
just need to decide between the Equinox 800 and the Gold monster 1000.
So many decisions and i haven't even left the house yet, i will be a nerves wreck by the time i get to hit the field.
my theory is a bad day detecting should be better than my best day at work.

Scott

If you want to search for relics and gold, the Nox800 is the better machine...if you want to search for gold only, I think the GM1000 is probably going to be better suited but not by much..

If you go for a new Nox800 from a dealer, try to get a 6" coil thrown in the deal as that seems to be the preferred coil on mineralized or trashy soil.

I think if I were in your shoes, I would get a Nox800 first and if the bug took hold of me, I would then save for a used version of Minelabs dedicated upper end gold machines as that would be a very useful combo....

1 user likes this post: Northeast

Northeast
20 May 2020 05:27 pm

Hi Scott - I agree 100% with what Pete E said just above.

Nox is far more versatile and I think will also have better retail if you choose to sell it in the future.

Scottyc
20 May 2020 07:49 pm

Thanks Everyone,
I think the Nox it will be. i have noticed that the resale value is quiet high and very easy to move on.

Appreciate the help, there are alot of forums out there that don't seem to give information to beginners.

Scott

OldGT
20 May 2020 07:55 pm

Could take the weekend (or 2 consecutive days) and try hiring a machine from Coiltek in Maryborough, only a short drive further down the road.

One or two days swinging around will give you a good feel for the gold detecting then you can consider your PI options.

The Nox is hard work on gold (less so with the 6 inch), same for GM, never mind the sales hype. Neither are bad detectors, just hard to use in hot ground and are only good on shallow targets. Ive owned both and tested their mettle. Both machines require a lot of mental patience.

The Nox is pretty darn good on coins though, and has more settings than youll ever need. If you spend time with it on the ground regularly you would recoup your outlay. I kept my 600 for that reason.

Im not trying to go against the grain on the above advice only to say that gold is hard to find, and so Id advise giving yourself the best chance.

I got my GM second hand for the same price I sold it for, plenty for sale if you are curious, a lot with warranty still. perfect

Edit I just read the above reply, good luck mate thumbsup

Last edited by OldGT (20 May 2020 07:56 pm)

Scottyc
20 May 2020 08:17 pm

Thanks OLD GT,

I think i will hunt around for one and try my luck, not expecting to get rich just get out and have some fun.

If anyone sees a Nox800 for sale please let me know.

1 user likes this post: OldGT

Scottyc
22 May 2020 06:41 pm

Thanks for everyone's help, i just purchased my first detector an minelab equinox 800.
Now just need the virus ban lifted so i can go for a drive.

Scott

2 users like this post: Thomo, goldtruck59

Scottyc
25 May 2020 10:57 am

Spoke too soon, you know the old saying if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
Back to the drawing board to look for a detector.

Dont really see too many entry level detectors 2nd hand for sale.

The prospecting dream might be on hold for a while.

scott

Ded Driver
25 May 2020 11:18 am

What happened to the Nox you bought??
Gold Monsters come up for sale occasionally. Keep an eye on the 'For Sale' thread as well

Last edited by Ded Driver (25 May 2020 11:20 am)

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

Manpa
25 May 2020 11:19 am

Scotty not sure if this is of any interest, I’m happy to let it go for $650 plus postage, complete package.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … p?id=32989

Cheers

One of these days Ma!

Scottyc
26 May 2020 02:23 pm

Hey DD Long story short, was getting a mate to pick it up as it was in Brisbane, 1 hour before the guy messaged and said he had been sent to NZ for work and item wasn't for sale anymore.
my guess is he took another offer, tried to contact him to re negotiate with no luck.
it happens i guess just disappointed.

Scotty

JD3
26 May 2020 09:28 pm

I had a Equinox 800 and damn it was good. But had a dilema come up and needed some instant cash. So it was my 5000 or 800. No contest as I like the 5000 almost as much as my misses lol
But seriously, have had Terras, Sovs and an MXT but that EQ was pretty special. Never had a disc macine separate trash from treasure like it did once I got to know it. Very very good at it. Got gold with it too, but in quiet ground. Yep it was little stuff but it did find it when I didbt expect it too. But also wont lie, my 5000 in the same ground using an Evo on high sens settings after finding stuff with the EQX found things, gold, the Nox obviously couldn't, but still the Nox really impressed me. If right now I needed another machine to complement my 5000 id get another Nox 800 in the blink of an eye.
Now though I detect as a fun hobby and have no inclination to get anything else.
Hope that helps.

1 user likes this post: markfromnsw

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site