Highsluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok no more sitting around so i am going to try and make an attachment for the Highbanker and turn it into a Highsluice

1: Trip to bunnings $34.00 later and have all the bits
2: Put it together (later today)
3: Find some rapids (Oallen here i come in the next few days)

First photo is the water feed pipe i used with the Highbanker if its not big enough i can always increase the hose size until i get enough water

1583026859_100_81491.jpg

1583026886_100_81501.jpg

1583026911_100_81511.jpg

1583026938_100_81521.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4872/1583034004_fossicking-a-guide-to-fossicking-in-nsw_copy.pdf

I have seen this in old pics and stories of sluicing with a monitor in the US during their gold rush. They had the advantage of plenty of water coming off the Rockies with the summer melt. The system works but, as others have said, you need rigid piping and a large inlet. The straighter your feed, the faster the water flows and the higher the pressure you attain at the sluice. I think that NSW still doesnt allow the highbanker, regardless of the manner in which you feed the water. (Assuming youre in NSW.) I regularly sluice in NSW and asked a Ranger if I could use what you are thinking of and he told me I couldnt because the highbanker still sullied the water and I was limited by the amount of dirt that I could move anyway. And, regardless of how it was powered, highbankers are illegal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_mining

i see what you are saying but by their own writing the only time they become illegal is when a power sourse is connected to them to pump water and thats in their own words
all i am doing is turning it into an above water sluice
i am in NSW and a sluice silts the water more then i have ever done with a highbanker
if they were set up properly then no silt would make it back into the river

Fnx50 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4872/1583034004_fossicking-a-guide-to-fossicking-in-nsw_copy.pdf

I have seen this in old pics and stories of sluicing with a monitor in the US during their gold rush. They had the advantage of plenty of water coming off the Rockies with the summer melt. The system works but, as others have said, you need rigid piping and a large inlet. The straighter your feed, the faster the water flows and the higher the pressure you attain at the sluice. I think that NSW still doesnt allow the highbanker, regardless of the manner in which you feed the water. (Assuming youre in NSW.) I regularly sluice in NSW and asked a Ranger if I could use what you are thinking of and he told me I couldnt because the highbanker still sullied the water and I was limited by the amount of dirt that I could move anyway. And, regardless of how it was powered, highbankers are illegal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_mining

Its the little red star in the Highbanker pic which tells the story. They arent illegal. You could syphon or hand feed one with water, bilging by hand might be a bit grey but in my eyes ok.

If it were me I would be all set up with my pump, highbanker and at least a 1000l litre ibc and feed by opening the valve at the bottom. When the IBC was empty i would use the pump to top the ibc up again. Legally Id argue the IBC was a basin, and the pump was used for filling the basin. Stupid restrictions imo.

Love the idea marksman ,but static loss will kill it with a river/gravity feed flow ,keep the pipe the same size from start to finish to keep the volume of water at the sluice, if you want a bit of pressure, reduce your pipe at the sluice,and remember the further the water travels the less you get at the sluice,(static loss) good luck

Notice i did not say highbanker :)

Those vids on fb of that Asian fella digging wells,fishponds and stuff with a stick, he uses split bamboo setup as sluices to run water where he needs it..

I hear what has been said above. The Ranger I spoke to interpreted using the method of utilising reduction piping to increase water pressure as hydraulic mining and referred to the guide. Ive attached the section below:

1583046270_5fbc3a06-9101-4791-9d51-07d929b51c3c.jpg

Fnx50 i see where you are coming from and i can tell you now every ranger has different opions i doubt you will ever get two with the same way of thinking

hydraulic
operated by, moved by, or employing water or other liquids in motion. operated by the pressure created by forcing water, oil, or another liquid through a comparatively narrow pipe or orifice.

the differance is i am not forcing the water it is running in its natural flow through a pipe to the hopper so to speak

Fair point Fnx.

I think it would be an over-reach but it depends on which side of the fence you're standing on I guess.

Dont get me wrong, Im not knocking the idea. I have considered it, too. Thats why I asked the Ranger for his opinion.

no worries mate
and yes everything comes with a "but"
but every person/ranger has their way of understanding the law
here we go again "but"
and my way of thinking he was wrong so thats my view
just because you have some higher education or uni degree dosent make you and expert
or just because you have a patch on your shoulder dosent make you the law (which some think that it does)
maybe you should have asked more then one ranger and see what the differance was
if i get done then so be it i will fight for what i think is right

Here is one for you
same office ONE DESK APART
I was building a mobile food van for the Salvation Army so we could feed people affected by flood, fire of road being closed due to fires
First call to the council "what do i need to do to the caravan to turn it into an emergency services food van"
Quote "are you selling the food answer no ok then the walls must be covered in stainless steal and floor with floor covering with no joins and be 6"up the wall to allow it to be hosed out"
Got quotes which came in at lowest $6k highest $11k
NOW REMEMBER I AM RINGING THE SAME OFFICE NUMBER
i RING BACK AND TALK TO A OH'S OFFICE BUT NOT THE SAME ONE AS BEFORE
same question as before and the answer was if i was not selling the food they did not want to know about it. NO need for stainless steal
so with the help of a few people we built that van and with a crew of 6 we were putting out between 200 to 300 meals an hour feeding Police, firies, homeless and everyone stuck by fires and floods and used that van for 10 years before it was retired

moral of the story if you ask only one person then you do not have the full story you only have one persons opinion