Action Thread about HighBanking in NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I know Im new and all but wanna have my two cents worth lol. Why cant government just be simple charge us a bond once a year make us have our high bankers registered. Give us a log book where we have to log our co ords in it and if caught without log book filled in give a massive fine. Make us show registration to anyone that asks to c it egfisheries or a member of the public. If cant show get reported. They just need to make simple rules and people will obey them cause we know we wouldnt want to lose it. Sorry bout the ramble lol

I can understand the anger and frustration shown by members and that is part of the game created by the powers to be. As with any type of lobbing it is a very long drawn out game. And NAPFA are doing their best, as was stated, all of us are not lobbyist so therefor we must learn as we go along. As GaryO stated in post #80 and again by Gilly, OldGT then mbasko who also have hit the nail on the head.

But when some one turns their back on NAPFA and then are prepared to reap the rewards at days end that dose tick me off.

Mike I did post youre your suggestions {post #69} elsewhere for consideration and I am sure they will be looked at asap. But keep in mind the committee are just fossickers like you and I that put their hand up to try protect this hobby. Snowy we use to have that it was call a miners right and it was taken from us.

Sometimes you have to probe to find an opening and accept failures along the way and regroup. Great post from Retirement Stone #55 which says it all really and you gotta wonder why this is not obvious to decision makers. It's not time to throw in the towel.

Jon

Jemba, I'm sorry, but I think Bob has a valid complaint, if what he said happened is true.

An association's committee is meant to represent the members, and if they voted in favour of a certain action, then it should have been acted upon. He had every right to question why it didn't happen, and the excuse given to him sounded vague and somewhat suspect to me... Secret information? What does that mean exactly? Was someone being blackmailed with it? That was my initial thought, after reading that excuse he was given. And if I was a member, I'd want that explained in full detail - not be brushed off, saying they were handling it, and basically shut up and don't say anything to the government. Sorry - but that's not how a members association works!

And Bob was also right in saying that an alternative action should have been put to the members' vote. The committee does not make the decisions without the members' being informed, and their approval sought as a majority vote before going ahead - especially if the action is overturning the members previous majority vote. Why have a members vote, if it just gets ignored and overturned? If I were in Bob's position, I would have been disillusioned and wondering why I joined the association if my vote didn't count and was overturned, without being informed of the alternative action and had it put a vote, too.

You say the committee are just prospectors and volunteers and aren't perfect - but if someone's a committee member on an association with paying members, they should be well versed on an associations' charter, and it's proper procedures to work on behalf of the members - and that they get to vote on any actions taken by that association. The committee does not act alone - you are not a secret association working in the dark behind closed doors - you have paying members and the committee is meant to be working on their behalf. Did they agree to use this "secret information" plot? You said, "I can understand the anger and frustration shown by members and that is part of the game created by the powers to be". It sounds like you're talking about the committee there. You also say a lobby group is only as strong as it's members - but in this case, it seems it's only as strong as it's committee, if the members' votes are being overruled and their opinions ignored...

This comment you posted, "But when some one turns their back on NAPFA and then are prepared to reap the rewards at days end that dose (sic) tick me off."
But what about the committee not following the charter of an association to work on behalf of it's members? Don't the members have a right to be ticked off then?
You accuse him of selling out, and paying out on him on this thread, when I believe he had a valid complaint and a right to be ticked off with the treatment he received. I wouldn't be paying a membership fee to an association who's committee ignores and discounts my vote, and works in secret, either.

I believe you have some explaining to do, as to why this happened, and should reassure your members that it won't happen again, or you could find you lose even more of them, if this secretive behaviour continues.

Having said that, I believe MikeB should be heading that association - his post made more sense than anything else I've read so far. And again, your answer was vague and secretive, saying you'd posted it "elsewhere" for consideration. I'd say your committee needs to look up "transparency" and be a lot more transparent and forthcoming with information for your members of the actions being taken by the committee - and get their approval on it!

And the first person who asks if I'm a member of an association - no, I'm not, and don't care to be - especially if my vote means nothing to them! I lobby in my own way, by making submissions to government proposals, and have joined in protests too. At least I know my opinions are read, and my voice is heard then! You may not think that's important, but I'd rather do that, than have someone else working in secret, supposedly on my behalf, that I know nothing about whatsoever!

Right, now I've had my say - which I believe is absolutely true and correct - let the arguments begin anyway!

I'm off to do some panning now! :)

Cheers,
Megsy

That is your right to believe in what you see is right, same as I have the right to believe in what I think is right. So what I believe in is this, if a person who takes benefit of anothers effort without input should have no right to that benefit. That just my view on the whole matter, and in regards to Bob well I was only replying to his Quote {Anyone who is stupid enough to pay money the this group might like to buy shares in a harbour bridge that I am selling.} end quote. I must also state that I am not part of NAPFAs committee but just a member trying to look after his intrest. There is no secretive behaviour in regards to NAPFA if you were a member you would know this, we are constantley keep upto date via e-mail.

"So what I believe in is this, if a person who takes benefit of anothers effort without input should have no right to that benefit."

Bugger! No Penicillin for you or me then :D

Jemba said:
That is your right to believe in what you see is right, same as I have the right to believe in what I think is right. So what I believe in is this, if a person who takes benefit of anothers effort without input should have no right to that benefit. That just my view on the whole matter, and in regards to Bob well I was only replying to his Quote {Anyone who is stupid enough to pay money the this group might like to buy shares in a harbour bridge that I am selling.} end quote. I must also state that I am not part of NAPFAs committee but just a member trying to look after his intrest. There is no secretive behaviour in regards to NAPFA if you were a member you would know this, we are constantley keep upto date via e-mail.

Struth Jemba, these comments remind me of the left wing militant unions that I had to put up with in the coal mines and I wouldn't join them either. :N:

Cheers

Doug

I'm not a left wing militant unionists, just stating my personal view on the matter. In saying that I will bid you all farewell.
Jemba

Jeff Goldblum knows where this thread is headed.
1582965188_6f7b210d-c38f-4482-99d8-6c5cbfbb444a.jpg

Balmain Bob said:
Totally agree with you CreviceSucker

NAPFA lost me 2 years ago after the AGM at Stuart Town when the majority of the members present voted for NAPFA to take the campaign to the media immediately before the State election. We were guaranteed at the meeting that the media packages were ready to be sent out within a week so that every member would be able to contact their local members about the issue as well as the minister .

GUESS WHAT , NOTHING HAPPENED.

When the pressed about why nothing is happening I was informed that " As NAPFA has secret information about the gov dept involved they have decided not to proceed with the action that we, as members, had voted for the organisation to proceed with.

They did this without consultation with the general members which is totally against the how an organisation like this should be run. There should have been an extraordinary meeting called so that the executive could try to explain why the hell they were going against the members wishes and another vote taken to see it the members agreed with their proposal. THIS DID NOT HAPPEN.

Now 2 years latter, nothing has happened, and we have the situation that we are now faced with.

Anyone who is stupid enough to pay money the this group might like to buy shares in a harbour bridge that I am selling.

On a passing note, Bob that harbor bridge your been talking about, has taken millions of $$$ to maintain due to rust.
The reason was set about in a News Letter and the last AGM...
You got no idea of what your talking about.

With the new Guide, The Bridges Have Been Burnt!

Yeah, I beleive the shooters, fishing , parties need to combine.
Too many hobbies are being taken away.
Many hobbies of which have been around for centuries!
Yet I do beleive in "common sense" regulations.
Sorry for using those words.....

Ease up you 2!
I respect you both, as well as lot of other members do...
We are all frustrated trying to make common sense of utter crap dealt to us.
Hypocrisy etc ....
It takes more than just us to change foolish decisions.
Highbanker users are now labeled the same as dredge users of years ago......
Put in the same basket!
If anyone was around back then, they would know the average hobbyist dredge user was a small time operation.
2" was average.
Yes there was bigger....
Can you now see where damage was a result from that......
F.A!
some think it's cheating.........
Some are very misinformed!

Some think it leaves nothing for them.....
Most have never seen one used....

they have caused division amongst us all.
Playing into their games....

Common sense is no longer an option.
Or a given...
Education seems to be filtered and fudged.

We disassociated ourselves from small dredges years ago, to appeal the early greens....
Our first mistake...

Now it's the highbanker....
Next it is your sluice......

Don't argue amongst eachother, like they want...
Unite...

Unite with the other hobbyist groups, who are also loosing their freedom of freedom!

Perhaps if a bit of research was put into the money generated by fossickers and then use this to lobby not just the government but the public. Did anyone contact companies like Minelab, Miner's Den etc to get some figures? Was a professional lobbyist approached? Were there any interviews attempted (radio and tv)? Was anything done via a petition or change.org? No use telling politicians, most of whom are lawyers, that there laws are wrong. You have to hit them where it hurts - at the election booth.

mudgee hunter said:
Yeah, I beleive the shooters, fishing , parties need to combine.
Too many hobbies are being taken away.
Many hobbies of which have been around for centuries!
Yet I do beleive in "common sense" regulations.
Sorry for using those words.....

They are (slowly) making headway. Especially in NSW.
Im not a representative or even a current member of Nafpa but appealing to their members and the public to vote that way would seem logical, unless they could give a valid reason why not.

After some further thinking about this it would definitely be prudent to raise the profile of the change to those that stand to lose the most, the regional towns that profit from gold tourism, as well as the local councils involved.

At least then a whole influx of new numbers can go banging on the doors of the local members to lobby the tourism and regional minister.

If Nafpa cant get in the front door from the resources side, perhaps an alternative can be found in a side door from another Govt member? I can see how easy it is to slam the door shut on prospectors, tourism might be far more of an Achilles heel especially in the current state of things up there.

Just a thought.

My Reason for NEVER BECOMING A NAPFA Member...

1583058748_o.jpg

An 'Organisation' that keeps its 'Members' un-informed will only loose Members... Too little, too late for Me... Should have taken the Hi-bank issue to the Streets Months ago..

I think there would have been a different Outcome....

LW...

Latest posts