I know what one is but the other has me stumped

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found a couple that of things today
I recognised the little glass object as soon as it appeared out of the dirt as I've collected stone artifacts for years.
It's an aboriginal blade obviously made after colonisation of Australia as it is glass.
I picked up another blade many years ago near Miles in Queensland.
It was made from a stone stout bottle.

I'm hoping someone may recognise the metal disc from the scant design on it.
It has a tiny BC stamped on one side but the other has hardly anything recognisable.
It appears to have P with something else before it and a large L or E under it
It's just under an inch in diameter and very thin.

1582605867_img_9389.jpg

1582605867_img_9390.jpg

Just an idea Thomo. Are the dimensions the same as an army dogtag? They often had the religion of the soldier stamped on them RC= Roman Catholic.

Deepseeker said:
Just an idea Thomo. Are the dimensions the same as an army dogtag? They often had the religion of the soldier stamped on them RC= Roman Catholic.

Gday Deepseeker

Just had another look at it under a loupe, it is BC, the bottom bar is faint.
It's non magnetic.
I was hoping someone could recognise it from the scant detail left on it.
Many years ago I used to dig for bottles and could recognise a bottle from a small shard.

Is it silver? The BC looks like a maker's mark. There are a few websites that you can use to track down old silversmith maker's marks.

1582705481_img_9394.jpg

Looking at this side shot l don't know if I'm imagining it but is that the remains of an ear in the centre.
And if l tilt the image the shading and shiney parts appear to be the remnants of a bust which coincides with the ear.
If that's so what are the straight lines under or behind the ear.

If it's an ear at all :|

Looks to me like an old silver coin with a counterstamp/mark where the bust should be. The lines on the front look to be part of a shield, so possibly early 1800's or even earlier if reale size???

Goldpick said:
Looks to me like an old silver coin with a counterstamp/mark where the bust should be. The lines on the front look to be part of a shield, so possibly early 1800's or even earlier if reale size???

1582750162_img_9404.jpg

Just under an inch in diameter

It may remain one of those mystery objects unless l find a comparable photo

Clodmaster said:
Is it the size of a sixpence?

Half a smidgen bigger than a shilling.( it's an under utilised form of measurement ?)
The edge is very thin

Thomo said:
Goldpick said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/17391/1582750162_img_9404.jpg

Where was it found? plenty of known and unknown Dutch East India Company vessels came to grief on the West Australian coast ....
1586608514_screen_shot_2020-04-11_at_10.26.36_pm.jpg

casper said:
Thomo said:
Goldpick said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/17391/1582750162_img_9404.jpg

Where was it found? plenty of known and unknown Dutch East India Company vessels came to grief on the West Australian coast ....
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...514_screen_shot_2020-04-11_at_10.26.36_pm.jpg

...... this one is 100 years older, and is counter stamped.
1586609574_screen_shot_2020-04-11_at_10.49.36_pm.jpg

casper said:
Thomo said:
Goldpick said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...514_screen_shot_2020-04-11_at_10.26.36_pm.jpg

Found at Windsor NSW not far from an old church.
I found an 1826 shilling a year or so before this one not far away (30 meters)

With your mention of the East India company bought back a memory when l was kid in primary school.
The kids in our class went on a camp at Portsea near Melbourne.
There was a shop where we could buy lollies and stuff.
I remember buying a Choo Choo bar and in my change l got an East India coin from the 1800's.
I eventually lost it on the camp 8.( and if l went back with a metal detector l have an idea of where.
That may have been the inspiration to buy a metal detector later in life