Basic QED airtest of 5, 20 and 50 cent piece.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hippyhunter said:
Yeah i am right in metropolitan area so emi makes lots of sense. I have even managed to pick up emi with the sadie coil here on rare occasions.

If you test with Gain at 1 and THS-A at 30 using the 20" coil than EMI may not be an issue.

hippyhunter said:
It was also interesting to see the 20c coin catch right up in depth to the 50c on the 20" coil. And as to be expected the 5c lessened distance.

I feel the 20c coin is producing less distance more so than the other coins due to it falling more so within a detection hole and changing Modes reduces or increases that hole.

Im not too concerned with th emi thing as i know at my house is the next best things to being in a microwave oven. And i almost forget theres that emi adjustment setting which could help also
I will definately try giving the 20c a wave on different coils trying several modes then. it will be good to see the differences. Thanks rush

hippyhunter said:
I will definately try giving the 20c a wave on different coils trying several modes then. it will be good to see the differences. Thanks rush

Also I believe what occurs with the 20c coin can happen with certain type of nuggets as well.

Btw if using Gain at 1 and if able to raise THS-A above 30 as far as possible without EMI then of course further detection distance is possible while leaving THS-B at Null.

Rush said:
hippyhunter said:
It was also interesting to see the 20c coin catch right up in depth to the 50c on the 20" coil. And as to be expected the 5c lessened distance.

I feel the 20c coin is producing less distance more so than the other coins due to it falling more so within a detection hole and changing Modes reduces or increases that hole.

Apparantly mode 11 (beach) is best at reducing that effect, but may be unsuitable mode in mineralised ground of course. A guy in new zealand detects on his goldfield with the qed in mode 11 seemingly no problem. I would think it might be possible in some places in gippsland also.. i dont think it would be any good in the triangle, but havent tried. ill give mode 11 a shot in wedderburn this weekend if i remember.

pinfire opals said:
I sold my QED last week, too many differences between the machines, after talking to dozens of owners not one machine works similar, even if not faulty. Maybe when the PL5 comes out it may have similar working machines. Your mate could be using one next to you and hes getting an extra few centimetres with exact same settings, plus no auto ground balance is a huge PIA even after the new dsm thingy last year. Ive had mine for years so im no newbie either.Just my opinion anyway. :Y:

So no different to a minelab. How often did we here about the freak. How often did we here about the batch that didnt perform equal to previous batches. Unfortunately thats electronics. Keep in mind there can be a difference in coils also.

Another point that i forget to mention and the most important.

Take the figure Threshold B at Null as an example. Now this figure can be different between units. It doesnt mean one works better than the other at all. The figure is a number only. To make a comparison between units, the units should have been set to their own specific null. One maybe 49-50, the other 50-51. So if you were to make comparisons between units, they shouldnt be set to the same numbers but set to whatever the units are happy at for any comparisons to be made. No different with the ground balance. Coils can have an effect on settings.

So sorry Pinfire, to make and state your findings were inconsistencies between the two different detectors set the same insinuates that maybe you didnt know what you are doing.

Auto ground balance? Its not a total necessity. Either is cruise control!

I found the manual gb very good at wedderburn. I only needed to adjust the gb twice in an 8 hour day. Once when i got over a patch of rocky ground from 125 to 121. Then again back to 125 when back onto the original type dirt.. i know its just one location but i was happy with that side of things for the day for sure.

Pre august 2020 update:
hippyhunter said:
I did the test this morning with the sadie.
With the sadie null was 51. The 5c got 15cm, the 20c got 12cm

Post august update:
At null 51 also: 5c 11cm, 20c 8cm

I didnt think to replicate that test after the august update, until all the recent forum talk. It seems like the update has lost my machine some depth. Brian says on his sadie air test yoitube vid the new pl4 update should fix this issue. Definately seems software related anyway as thats the only difference since january 2020 test

Yes HH, the so called 'update' has made your QED more 'user friendly' apparently but you have lost some depth in that process. There have been so many changes to the DSM on a whim from the builder that no one knows how their detector performs any more. They are all over the place.
The new PL4 has had the gain altered to the stage that it cannot be dialled up any where near the earlier version before becoming noisy and unstable. ( A bit like the builder)

Hi reg. On this firmware i can only put the gain to 6 anyway. 7 or more has been noisy in the limited few tries i have had the chance of.
Would you suggest getting the update to have the distance increased from null, but possibly loosing some gain ability? It seems logical to me that i should still be in front with depth/sensitivity if i go that way, having a much deeper starting point at null.
For me the update prior to the pre august 2020 update has had the best depth/sensitivity on my machine.. i wish i had that firmware mixed with my current gb update (probably not possible if some components where upgraded last firmware. Cant quite remember if was or not

Bury a 20 cent piece at a foot and do some basic tests. Try it with various mode, gain, and above and below null. You will soon see what settings are best, but one thing you will see is that setting below null for either is not the go, with the never set below go the rule. I never set below null, especially when using X coils.
On my test bed I see all manner of detectors and get to play with ones from many years of detector development.

Latest posts