Running a threshold with QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. So a few things have become clear to me after my last trip out with the qed. The barely audible threshold on the qed is always there when the detector is set correctly or withon the parameters of being noisy. It cant be heard on my bluetooth earbuds because of the lower volume level of bluetooth. It also cannot be heard via external speaker (unsure if its just thay the speaker doesnt run appropriate hertz or volume).
Via my wired skull candy earbuds the faint threshold was present, and not annoying at all.
There was nothing to gain really having a faint threshold on a larger object but obviously the more subtle signals can be noticed with the threshold running softly.
I will still try to borrow an spo1 to see if that boosts volume enough to hear the faint threshold with my bluetooth buds, but with that extra bulk i may have to reconsider my earbuds choice.
On the positive side i did get the 11" detech coil ground balanced and running smoothly for the whole day in the mineralised ground at garabaldi lead.

pinfire opals said:
Sp01 dont work well on Qed, $20 ebay one works great

The ebay one i tried was not really loud enough. Only a slight increase. There where a few different ones in the cheapie price range though

hippyhunter said:
pinfire opals said:
Sp01 dont work well on Qed, $20 ebay one works great

The ebay one i tried was not really loud enough. Only a slight increase. There where a few different ones in the cheapie price range though
I will try find a link to the one i had same as the one Allan uses

I tried to find the exact oneused by someone on here i think, but the link had expired and was no more available of same make.
But yeah, if you have a healthy link i will check it out
Thanks

I prefer a "Mossie" hum that is just audible.
I also mainly wear head phones as I find speakers
not to have that edge.

I will go speaker to give my ears a rest and in doing that,
I bump the thresh hold up a bit and listen for when it "Blanks".

I found that an Sp01 is a very good match with a QED.
With head phones it is deadly on small targets.
And does not blank on small targets.

Been a bit slack on getting out and about lately. Family and the
crisis with fires and floods has kept me office bound. :awful:
I intend to change that very shortly. O:)

Tathradj said:
I prefer a "Mossie" hum that is just audible.
I also mainly wear head phones as I find speakers
not to have that edge.

I will go speaker to give my ears a rest and in doing that,
I bump the thresh hold up a bit and listen for when it "Blanks".

I found that an Sp01 is a very good match with a QED.
With head phones it is deadly on small targets.
And does not blank on small targets.

Been a bit slack on getting out and about lately. Family and the
crisis with fires and floods has kept me office bound. :awful:
I intend to change that very shortly. O:)

Im looking for the mozzie hum too. But on earbuds. Its strange. My wired medium quality buds produce that threshold well. All btooth earbuds ive tried havent had it (even though the signal response sounds similar (maybee a little less volume).
Still not sure if its an amplification thing or an earbud/or blurtooth audio specs issue.
Im almost feeling trying the sp01 or future sp02 is my last chance for wireless earbuds having the threshold

hippyhunter said:
Aussiedigs said:

That is the exact same one as i got from ebay al. I found it only gave a very small increase in volume and i still couldnt hear the faint threshold using this one. Dunno if mine was faulty in that regard or just not up to the job.
At fully volume it was like turning a volume knob from 9 up to 10. (Or maybee even only 9.5)

Even with the earbuds? Mine are wired.

I use this amp with earbuds and the Quest Wireless Mate. Awesome setup.

Threshold? A slight hum. It shouldnt be so difficult to get mate.

Aussiedigs said:
hippyhunter said:
Aussiedigs said:

That is the exact same one as i got from ebay al. I found it only gave a very small increase in volume and i still couldnt hear the faint threshold using this one. Dunno if mine was faulty in that regard or just not up to the job.
At fully volume it was like turning a volume knob from 9 up to 10. (Or maybee even only 9.5)

Even with the earbuds? Mine are wired.

I use this amp with earbuds and the Quest Wireless Mate. Awesome setup.

Threshold? A slight hum. It shouldnt be so difficult to get mate.
I hadent until then. I just tried it on the wired earbuds and it worked really well. So i figure you cant amplify bluetooth pre tx. Only post rx to wired earbuds, which isnt really wireless earbuds at that point. Only benefit is detachment from the detector.
Bluetooth low latency may work at adequate volume needed for the hum threshold, but only if the earphones/buds have built in amplification . As well as low latency. As far as i can tell no such product exists so will have to reconsider my options for audio. Not really happy with any of the known options so far so might keep using wired buds and live in hope

Might take the detector down to jb hifi and get some demos of the more expensive ones like senheisser and bose. Just have to plug in quickly to hear if the threshold is there. The volume issue is definately in the sender unit. I paired the earbuds to the mobile phone bluetooth and it was super loud at full volume

Yeah its all comnecting a sending a signal. Its just the threshold not being audible. Looks like i will end up having to use the quest wireless for now. Cant use the wireless headphones options as wearing headphones give me a headache.

Just wondering; does running the THS-B a few notches lower than null still pick up the bigger targets easily?
Only asking because i watched this video and here he lowers it and it picks up the small nugget a lot better, but wondering if it would cancel out any of the bigger deeper targets?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-napzvhMhLU

kicksome said:
Just wondering; does running the THS-B a few notches lower than null still pick up the bigger targets easily?
Only asking because i watched this video and here he lowers it and it picks up the small nugget a lot better, but wondering if it would cancel out any of the bigger deeper targets?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-napzvhMhLU

As i understand it lowering thsb a few notches below null will as you say increase sensitivity to the smaller targets. And you will i assume loose some depth on bigger targets. Bigger targets will still be detectable, but just at lesser depth. Increasing thsb a couple over null will increase some depth on larger tagets, but give less sensitivity to small targets. I guess you try to set thsb in relation to what size gold you think is most likely to be in the area you are detecting. Or if you want to be thorough, detect the area once with thsb a few notches below null, the detect the same area with thsb a couple above null. Then you should have covered both smaller and larger size nuggets at maximum depth (with a particular coil).
Someone correct me if i got it wrong at all please :Y:

Personally i run in null mostly. The QED is quite sensitive and matched with the likes of the Sadie as a sensitive coil, how small of gold do you want to deal with? With the 11 Minelab mono i found some species that had gold that was hard to see unless it was in bright sunlight. QED set at null. The metal splinter i found with the 20 Nugget Finder Advantage, also in null.

Id concentrate more on getting mode, gain and GB maximised.

1583713599_3f9904d4-67da-4739-98c1-00238c22260e.jpg

Lol. Ill take any size gold at the moment aussiedigs. :argh:
My next trip will be my first time with running the threshold, so will be focusing around null i would say to get the smoothest threshold possible. Im not really at the stage of pushing for depth just yet.
Pretty impressive getting something so small with the 20" coil. I didnt think that would be possible. That will probably give me a push to use it more often when possible.

Latest posts