Coil Repairs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An Introduction to Detector Coils.
Common Problems. Faults. DIY Improvements. Technical Data. Repairs.
Please :
Feel Free to add any information relating to Detector Coils.
Copy / Paste / Quote previous misplaced Post information relating to Topic.
Youtube videos , Pics ect Anything Relevant is Welcome. :cool:

1.Ded Driver
hey Bush, you've learnt something & taught us that a repair can be done.
Im sure a few will be keen to see the results in the field if it's successful or not.
Im curious.
Keep posting, you have nothing to lose .

2.Retirement Stone
I'm curious as well as my original coil is falsing with the slightest downward pressure on it.

Minelab inspected it and was told I would need a new one. $550 or $700 installed.

I took option C. Bought two Coiltek coils for SDC.

Cheers

RS

3.Retirement Stone
Hey Nenad,

We are coil scrapers and as you know the closer the SDC is to the ground the more feignt signals come to light.

Any small downward pressure gives a signal that would normally pull you up for a did. Very frustrating and impossible to detect with.

Maybe something loose inside the coil.

Cheers

RS.

4. Syndyne

Same issue in our SDC for the last two years also RS. Even sent it back to Minelab last year for a service (despite being out of warranty two years ago), but they couldn't get the coil to false for whatever reason even with a couple hours of testing. Took it out again and it was falsing after the first days use. Even a slight hand touch around the coil edge throws a signal.
I'd be happy to find an easy repair solution also.
My only suggestion would be if you can do a short video demo'ing the problem, this can really help Minelab sometimes.
If you are only slightly touching the coil, not physically knocking it, and it is sounding off, then possibly a coil shielding issue??

Not sure if Woody does coil repairs or not? In the few coils I have repaired for myself over the years, I said I'd never do it again as it's just too time consuming.

5.StayyerAU

G'day

Usually the issue with a coil that is touch sensitive or sounds off when put close to the ground is that either one of the connections at the plug has a dry solder joint, has a broken wire in the cable or that inside the coil the wires that connect to the outer skin of the faraday shielding inside the coil has broken loose, (this is usually more common with older coils mono and dd) the shielding is coated with a carbon paint and the wires are very thin and mostly just taped across the shield surface, the wires can oxidize and lose contact with the surface, I have repaired several coils with this issue, cleaning the oxidation off the wire and bonding it back to the shielding with some electrically conductive epoxy that does the trick.( can be purchased at jaycar or on ebay )

The hardest part is taking the coil apart without doing too much damage, mostly heating the coil case joint with a heat gun to soften the glue and then use a sharp knife to open the joint around the coil, when the inside has been repaired I make a glue from old skid plate pieces melted down with acetone to re bond the coil back together, job done, the only time it didn't work was when someone else had been at it and later I discovered that they had soldered the wires ass about in the plug, mono and dd plugs are wired differently so have a good look at the connections and how they are bridged before de soldering them, also check the plug solder joints first before pulling the coil body apart.

I have not done an sdc coil but I would say that internally they would be the same as any other mono coil and the shielding etc would be the same, if the coil cable has damage internally that might be another story as those issues are hard to isolate, and if you locate the break you can cut and re join the cable but have to be careful to seal it very well to keep any moisture out of it.

cheers

stayyerAU

6.Bush
G`day StayyerAu,
Nice input ``Good Stuff.
If your replacing The shielding Wires top & bottom over the carbon discs referred to ` The Drain Wire s they need tobe ( Non-Magnetic.)
I used Jaycars Duratec ww4040 wire Nicrome 0.32mm matches up nice to the sdc 2300 original specs.
i`d hate to hear that someone took P/A members advice only to receive a disgruntled failed message.

~ What to Expect. ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OwrkEOpPiQ&list=PLP0Eh4V-0K6Fdj_W4dOlyMgV3XDxCSM1T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaHeqIXDKaM&list=PLP0Eh4V-0K6Fdj_W4dOlyMgV3XDxCSM1T&index=6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT4EhYBVW1s

SDC2300. Mono Coil 8``.

1582501411_sdc2300_coil_3.jpg

1582501452_sdc2300_coil_4.jpg

1582501539_sdc2300_coil_6.jpg

1582501691_sdc2300_coil_5.jpg

Just wondering if any knows the difference between a VLF coil and a Pulse Induction coil.
I was in the process of changing the VLF female unit exit plug on the GoldSeeker Detector to the 5 pin GPX Chassis Plug so i could experiment with different coils.
A tweety bird said that the coils are not inter-changeable or that VLF coils are quit different to a GPX Coil.

vlf coils very different from PI .. different parameters of impedance inductance and capacitance ..

Latest posts