Wearing Your Watch Or Wedding Ring Whilst Detecting?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frankybotic said:
Would screws in my ankle set off the detector.

Depending on how many screws and where in your ankle also the size of the coil and settings for the attached coil, the larger the coil the higher the probability of the screws interfering. Some people don't have any issue others do. Your best bet would be to hire a detector or two (at different times) and check it out. If you haven't used a detector before maybe investing in a one on one tuition with the tutor supplying the machine/s and see how you go, meeting up with other members when a meet up is organised. Others I'm sure will add comment, hopefully your question doesn't high jack this thread.

Frankybotic said:
Would screws in my ankle set off the detector.
Yep it will.
You just be conscious of it and adjust your step....no problem.

G'day

Everything metal is best kept away from the front of your body while detecting, this is the reason the fibreglass otto type top shafts were introduced as when using large coils the detector could see the top shaft and same goes for any metal objects on the body and boot metals, its believed that because the detector can see these things even at the fringes of the detection field even from the top of the coil, it can de-sensitize the coil and that means some targets will be lost, its also the reason for interference and not being able to get the detector to run as quietly as it should, don't carry your pick on your belt, best to sling it over your shoulder, my 4500 with a 16" nf coil can see my mid sized pick at about chest level not loudly of course but enough to cause some light signal fluctuation, if it can do this then I don't doubt that it would have an effect on the coils sensitivity.

Wearing watches and other jewelry will just cause confusion when trying the locate a target, I don't wear any jewelry at all and often get questioned by the missus why I don't wear my wedding ring, simple answer is I would either lose it or break it, and have not worn a watch for many years as they usually end up broken or left somewhere, so everything like that stays in the car along with the phone as I would not answer it while detecting anyway and you can guarantee the thing will ring if you do carry it about with you and then I would have to stop and remember which pouch or pocket I put the thing in?.

cheers

stayyerAU

1st post so hello, I dont wear any jewelry so cant comment on this but what about the control box does it give a signal if you run another detector over it, if yes it would be closer to the coil than most metalic objects carried on the body.

Hi Darren,

I was thinking more about target retrieval. Where someone's watch or ring give the detector a signal.

Having the detector/coil near the dig hole whilst digging drives me nuts and I see both issues on YouTube videos all the time.

Maybe I'm just getting old and angry!!

RS

It's only a problem if you can detect it. Theoretical depth of detection should give you an idea so large coils will be the main issue.

Make your detector perfectly stationary (e.g. against a tree) and wave your stuff at the distance you carry them from the coil. If you don't hear it then no problem.

Jon

I leave my wedding ring at home and I have a spare old watch in the car if I need it but I never wear either while detecting. I can't take the wedding ring out because it is made of river gold and is too soft.

I left my boots at home one day and had to wear my RM Williams boots and they have their soles nailed on. I had to keep the coil away from them all day.

My lucky item when out in the goldfields is my detector, any detector actually. If I don't have a detector I rarely find any gold. I say rarely because on the odd occasion I have sighted gold before detecting it, but I still had my detector with me.

So I never go detecting without my detector and as luck would have it I usually find gold, go figure.

Regards Axtyr.

Latest posts