Should I do it?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Here in the UK there's a Australian tv program called Gold Hunters, which iv'e become slightly addicted to! This program has got me watching metal detecting, You Tube clips, thinking about it constantly, joining this forum and end result got me thinking about going to WA to try this gold hunting out. I'm an adventurous kinda bloke, surf, wild camping etc.. Iv'e held a metal detector once before when I lost a gold ring while camping in Wales on a surf trip many years ago.
I'm under no illusions that finding gold is no easy task, especially for someone like me with zero experience. But I can't get rid of this niggling feeling that this is something I need to do, for two reasons... Excitement of finding gold and an adventure of a life time that could become a regular annual trip.
Im a 52 year old, married man with two kids. Wife's a nurse and I'm a builder. We don't earn lots of money between us but are happy so long as the kids are healthy and happy.
So Is guess what I'm asking is, should I go ahead and book a flight to WA in Sept (have a good friend lives in Perth) and hire some good equipment and head out into the outback?
Your experience, knowledge and advice is greatly appreciated and I apologies for this long winded hello to you all..
Many thank Mike

goodaye Mike & welcome to the PA Forum.
If you are thinking about it, then you know you want to, BUT, please be very well prepared. The WA goldfields are not a walk in the park, & we don't want you to become one of these
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28424
Even in September the temp inland can go well above 30c, & its a very dry heat that saps moisture out of your body.
Very good idea to go along with an Aussie, but make sure they also know what they're doing.
some other very useful info on this forum such as
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=590
have a good read & do lots of research.
If your friends are experienced/done it before, they will (hopefully) know how to go about access
by the way, don't believe everything you see on tv :lol:

DED

Hey DED. Thank you for your great advice, it's much appreciated. The time when I come out is still up in the air to be honest so this may change. I do know for sure though that I don't want to be outback when the temps are going through the roof. Maybe August might be better?
I don't think my mate in Perth has done it before but I have been quizzing him about doing it and his response was "It's tough" :lol: I can handle tough but I don't want to die doing it!! Research and being well prepared is the key, I can well understand the importance of this.
Many thanks DED for your advise
Mike

Welcome to PA Mike.
Remember:
1581888638_australian_deadly_animals_1a.jpg

:lol: saw a video recommending wearing gloves due to little tiny scorpions getting your fingers but I haven't seen much else other than flies and mozzies :lol: I'm sure there are plenty spiders and snakes hiding around..

G'day Mike welcome to PA :Y: as your title suggests just do it :Y: :beer: if you and your mate (I suspect he's from your neck of the woods) don't have experience I'd suggest doing a tag along tour. All the best when you get out amongst it.

As long as you treat it like a holiday with no expectation of riches and have all your paperwork in order for where you want to go (or do the tag along).
Because you may find a big nugget (or a little one) or just a hole bunch of fuggets with no value except for the memories .
Be aware and careful though, as even the locals can come to a hot and thirsty perishing end to it all out there with just one wrong choice causing it all.

Thank you all for your helpful advice.
I think you are right Silver, I may tag along on a tour for a few days to get the hang of it. As a complete notive, i think it will be worth it's weight in gold (pardon the pun). There's a couple guys iv'e started following on You Tube called WestOzAdventures who are professional prospectors. They seem like a couple of good blokes and their channel is very informative and helpful. Tagging along with these two would be ideal for me....
My mates a South African, RM outback, who works for a mining company in WA, he's an old surfing buddy from years ago. I have been trying to get him to come along with me but don't think he's that keen lol!
Silver, I agree about treating it as a holiday rather than finding lots of gold to begin with. I do think it's more about the adventure and being in the outback with a couple of mates that draws me to doing this in the first place. Finding gold will be a bonus on top of a great experience in the outback. Finding gold during the day and drinking a few cold golds at night sounds perfect to me :beer: :Y:
Again thank you all for your time and advise :fistpump:

Gday Mikiesoffsurfing
You've discovered the secret to life mate ="We don't earn lots of money between us but are happy so long as the kids are healthy and happy."
You'll love Australia,its big and lots to see, PS and there's gold to find !
mondo198

Latest posts