New Online Map WA - Showing Old Workings, Townsites etc

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just created a brand new website called FossickingPlaces.com that shows old mine working, townsites, dumps etc.

The website is entirely WA focused at the moment (coz I live in WA), but I hope to soon add data for other states as soon as I can get my hands on some decent data.

The website starts by showing all features as black dots
1581755591_website1.min.jpg

Once you start zooming in, the black dots change to symbols reflecting the different data types.
This images is of the Widgiemooltha area.
1581755978_website2.min.jpg

You can click on a feature to get more details
1581756140_website3.min.jpg

Pretty soon I'll be putting the current and pending mining leases onto the map as well.

I'd love to hear what you think and if this is of any value.

Happy prospecting

Bruce

As someone who has never been to WA but plans to spend some time there prospecting when we retire in a couple of years, I see this as being incredibly useful and something I would be happy to pay for.

This sort of info at ones finger tips would potentially be invaluable as the time it can save a visitor is hard to quantify.

Looking at the descriptions that are in your overlays, you would need to have a more descriptive pop-up or page to explain further. Things like: 'Visual Impact: Low' what does that mean as a comparison to medium of high.

Very interesting Bruce, keep going mate. :Y: :Y:

Thanks for the feedback.. @Nightjar that is something I'm working on right now!
Also planning on making it mobile friendly later tonight. Current version is desktop only!

Works just fine on my puter Windoze 8.1. No shake , screen image is rock steady and zooms and pans as one would hope. Well done that man. Bravo Zulu.

My sister lives in WA and has recently acquired a Minelab 2300 magic wand so she will possibly benefit from this.

Considering the time that's passed since you suggested putting this website together it's looking great.

Will we see a search facility in the future?

Will it be possible to download and use it offline?

Will the mines and map features be named?

:Y:

Planned improvements.. (read as coming v.soon)

1. WA mining leases - Live and Pending, with plans to update the dataset every time DMP updates their database!
This will include most of the contact details that are in TENGRAPH.

2.I'm trying to make this work offline, but that may be little ways away! Few technology hoops to jump through first!

3. Currently I am pulling data from the DMP site and combining this with other publicly available datasets.
If you know of any other datasets that would be good to have here, please let me know

Happy prospecting

Bruce

Can you try visiting the website using Google Chrome? This might work for you whilst I try and fix the IE 11 issues.

Latest posts