Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moneybox, & everyone, a tip for your crash problem .... I have an older laptop (that I like) but it crashes occasionally.
When typing a long winded email or similar, I open Windows Notepad & type it into there first (do a 'save-as' & give it a temporary filename). Hit 'Save' regularly, like every few lines, & that way when your computer crashes you will only lose the last few lines you wrote after your last save. Once you have your full write-up, simply 'copy & paste' it into the forum, or email, or wherever.

DED

Thanks Condor22 and Moneybox. You guys were either up late or are in WA! Whichever it is, I thank you both for your responses. Sorry that your computer crashed Moneybox. Ded Driver's suggestion sounds like a good option! I have been operating on Special - Fine Gold so think I will change that to Enhance so see if it rectifies the issue. I was astounded at how much more sensitive the gpx is to metal and have already changed boots and placement of some gear as it was definitely impacting on the machine. The sdc is way less sensitive! I have been running the Rx gain on 11-12 so am assuming that should not be causing too much of an issue. When I bought the gpx, I was advised that I could run it on 14-16 so guess I will just keep playing around with that as I go. Am enjoying the challenges of the gpx though and thankful for this forum that enables people like me to get advice from those of you who have been doing this for years.

Moneybox said:
The pick can be a problem as well. I've seen people with a magnet screwed into the end of the handle and then then hang it from their belt. It'll upset the detector with every step.

My god Moneybox, I was reading this thinking it was good advice for a newb and I've got it sussed, When- I forgot I've got a bloody strong magnet on the end of my long pick handle that hangs down the back near the heels of my feet, not far from my super sensitive NF 25" DD X coil as I walk!! AAARGHHH!!!! 8.( 8.(

I forgot about that bloody thing!! I'm Taking it off right now!
1581901842_suicideemoji.jpg

Thanks Mate! :Y:

Mungomeg,

I would stick with Fine Gold, (I know that EVERYONE has their favourite settings with the GPX) rather than Enhanced. I've found that, with Enhanced, there is a lot of attenuation of the signal, and I've experimented with targets. In Fine Gold, the target is quite clear, with Enhanced, sometimes you hear nothing. I found that you can't really run the 5000 in Normal, within the GT.

For me,(coming from the SDC), with the 5000, I found a need to continually ground balance the thing. Running in Fixed, of course. And when you get a repeatable target, scrape the top layer off, and ground balance on the scrapings. If you still have a repeatable signal, it's worth digging. But a lot of the time, it's just ground noise. The SDC seems to cope with ground noise a little better.

Cheers,

Chris

Latest posts