Indi 2020 Equinox 800 finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
indi said:
had 30 minutes today sadly no pre decimal the shell casing is a very odd find from the spot i was in anychance it could be ww2?https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14416/1581229010_shell.jpg

Looks like a modern day 303 mate..

golddiggerart said:
indi said:
had 30 minutes today sadly no pre decimal the shell casing is a very odd find from the spot i was in anychance it could be ww2?https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14416/1581229010_shell.jpg

Looks like a modern day 303 mate..

Thanks this was literally in a park in the middle of the city so a bit odd beach is near by

Not 303, could be Italian Carcano WW2 or swedish mauser, but most likely 243.
Cn you clean the base and post a picture of the headstamp? This will help a lot.

I'm always surprised by how many high powered firearm casings I find in suburban areas in Tassie. Even the 1800's sites turn up Henry Martini rounds mixed in with bits of pottery and domestic relics.

Cleaning the case at the moment will post pics in morning
Today was one of my more successful day with 7 coins including a 1951 half penny and my first bit of jewelry a medal with nice machining anyone seen anything similar not sure if its silver or plated

1581410252_1951_half_penny.jpg

1581410272_medal.jpg

Hi Guys another outing another couple of firsts. These are my first English penny 1902 and my first Australian threepence really quite happy. Also just wondering what number do other equinox users dig, I go 10 and 13 if firm and above 17 and above should i be digging more numbers?
1581581371_1902_penny.jpg

All depends on where I'm detecting and how much energy I have on the day. I like old buttons so if I'm in an old area without too much non ferrous junk I'll dig up 5s and sixes but in a park full of mowed up can slaw I'll usually stick to 18 and up and ignore anything that jumps around from 18-24. Some beaches are full of crap and the 18+ rule comes out again but if it's reasonably clean dig anything over 9.

I agree with Dave. Depends where you are and what you're hoping to find. Sometimes I notch out everything below 18 if I'm just looking for predecs. Other times, especially at a beach I'll dig most things. But then again if the beach is high in junk I'll be more discerning. Don't forget, gold can ring up really low on the Nox!

indi said:
hi guys
the bottom of the bullet case any idea of possible datehttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14416/1581581081_243_wincester.jpg

243 Winchester have been around for quite a few years now.
Could have been dropped yesterday or 40 years ago

indi said:
Hi Guys another outing another couple of firsts. These are my first English penny 1902 and my first Australian threepence really quite happy. Also just wondering what number do other equinox users dig, I go 10 and 13 if firm and above 17 and above should i be digging more numbers?https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14416/1581581371_1902_penny.jpg

Sounds like a good strategy, I tend to dig anything 16 and above as where I hunt many brass relics like buckles etc tend to ring up as a solid 16. There are three common items here however that dead set keep me up at night:

Aluminium can tabs - sit on about 14, right where the 50% silver threepences tend to be, I'm sure I've left many coins in the ground just so I didn't have to dig another tab
Leather rivets - make an awesome sound up about 24-26 and you can tell that they are small, so you start thinking .925 threepence. They always seem to give an inconsistent ID though but you still gotta dig...
Perforated copper mesh fragments - This stuff is just satanic. High 20's and sounds perfect in pinpoint, although maybe a little too perfect like aluminium does.

I'm also guided by depth at some sites. If a 14 is buried deep I'm more likely to dig it than if it's near the surface as there's a better chance it's something old like a button.

thanks for that yes this site high trash was used as a picnic area from about 1900 and still very popular today this week i found a half penny and a dollar coin laying next to each other but there is a lot of pull tabs was worried i was missing too much but i think i so need the six inch coil

indi said:
hi guys
the bottom of the bullet case any idea of possible datehttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14416/1581581081_243_wincester.jpg

I cannot tell you that but it looks pretty new to me,the writing is mint condition.

Still nice find.

Some mixed results last couple days the pre decimals are a nice bonus, tried a new spot today a park near a river picked up a 2 dollar and 5c and then the copper ring is very thin so not sure if its a finger ring or not after the ring met another detectorist who also had some success in the park could explain why the limited success there

1582094945_1939_half_penny.jpg

1582094981_ring.jpg

Very lean times at the moment, 3 coins the 2c, 1c amd penny came from a site ive been getting a few pieces gridded it off to make sure i got everything, will try again after i get the 6 inch coil, The other 1c came from a site i thought was going have great potential but after 3 hours only got the one coin

1582669186_roo_penny.jpg

Latest posts