Minelab SDC 2300. 8 inch Originals.
Any Condition.
Price Negotiable.

1 user likes this post: Retirement Stone

Retirement Stone
12 February 2020 09:34 am

What about a repair service?

Mine is useless the way it is.

Wouldn't matter to me if you couldn't pimp it and the repair didn't work. I would be no worse off.

Price for said repair/pimp would be the decider.

Cheers

RS

GPZ 7000, SDC 2300, Walbanker, Garrett pans, Determination and a touch of insanity mixed with Gold Fever!

2 users like this post: RM Outback, goody2shoes

Bush
13 February 2020 06:45 am

Hey RS ; You could try Goanna Detectors at Greta their in the Hunter Area if you have trouble.
From what i gathered Big Bob sold the business it to Grechie or Grecky or Gecko something like that.
Coiltec take over i think.
If that is him he probably knows about Coils as much as Woody @ Phasetec & that could be an option.
~ Australia ~ Land of The Big Lizards. lol.

Last edited by Bush (13 February 2020 06:51 am)

Retirement Stone
13 February 2020 08:47 am

Hey mate, I might have a go at it myself. Got nothing to lose.

I'm good at pulling stuff apart but there's always screws, washers and bolts left over. I would not let my near an aeroplane!!!!

RS

GPZ 7000, SDC 2300, Walbanker, Garrett pans, Determination and a touch of insanity mixed with Gold Fever!

1 user likes this post: GreenRiver

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
13 February 2020 10:02 am

Bush wrote:

Hey RS ; You could try Goanna Detectors at Greta their in the Hunter Area if you have trouble.
From what i gathered Big Bob sold the business it to Grechie or Grecky or Gecko something like that.
If that is him he probably knows about Coils as much as Woody @ Phasetec & that could be an option.

Bob's and Grecky's shops were two separate businesses.

Jack Lange sold his business to Bob Buss, which became Goanna Gold. They have since closed down.

Grecky bought the Mudgee shop from Kim. They shut the doors in December.

Good luck RS. What is the actual problem with your coil?

Agent for Minelab, Nugget Finder, Nokta & Makro, Quest, Detech, SteelPhase - Phase Technical Website

1 user likes this post: Bush

Retirement Stone
13 February 2020 10:19 am

Hey Nenad,

We are coil scrapers and as you know the closer the SDC is to the ground the more feignt signals come to light.

Any small downward pressure gives a signal that would normally pull you up for a did. Very frustrating and impossible to detect with.

Maybe something loose inside the coil.

Cheers

RS

Last edited by Retirement Stone (13 February 2020 10:19 am)

1 user likes this post: Bush

Bush
13 February 2020 10:26 am

Hey Woody,'
Thanks for the update on the business reports.
A bit sad really Jack Lange was one of the elites in this field to my understanding.
There goes the back up-plan and now there`s not many around that could or would do repair works outside of Minelab ( if your lucky.)

My thought was Grecky that was involved in the New Coiltec Coils. Well there you go ``what was thought. Thought was Wrong.

Sounds like Retirement Stone should check out some of your YouTube Vids would give him a better idea of what is going on..
The vids certainly gave me some indication of where `i` was heading.
He`ll probably slash his fingers getting it apart like `i` did.
Cheers Bush.
Too much rain now from one extreme to another.

grubstake
13 February 2020 11:58 am

Bush wrote:

Hey Woody,'
Thanks for the update on the business reports.
A bit sad really Jack Lange was one of the elites in this field to my understanding.
There goes the back up-plan and now there`s not many around that could or would do repair works outside of Minelab ( if your lucky.)

My thought was Grecky that was involved in the New Coiltec Coils. Well there you go ``what was thought. Thought was Wrong.

Sounds like Retirement Stone should check out some of your YouTube Vids would give him a better idea of what is going on..
The vids certainly gave me some indication of where `i` was heading.
He`ll probably slash his fingers getting it apart like `i` did.
Cheers Bush.
Too much rain now from one extreme to another.

Bush wrote:

Mate, you're spreading confusion with every post you make! Phase Technical is Nenad Lonic, NOT "Woody". They are two separate and totally unaffiliated people/businesses.

I suspect you're wrong in your comments on Jack Lange too, if you're referring to performing detector mods. My understanding is that Jack had an electronics technician in Brisbane who did that work for him, but I could be wrong.

Please don't be offended by the above correction/s and keep up the good work on reporting your own mods - it's fascinating stuff. thumbsup

Where it is, there it is.

2 users like this post: RM Outback, Retirement Stone

Syndyne
14 February 2020 12:33 pm

Retirement Stone wrote:

Hey Nenad,

We are coil scrapers and as you know the closer the SDC is to the ground the more feignt signals come to light.

Any small downward pressure gives a signal that would normally pull you up for a did. Very frustrating and impossible to detect with.

Maybe something loose inside the coil.

Cheers

RS

Same issue in our SDC for the last two years also RS. Even sent it back to Minelab last year for a service (despite being out of warranty two years ago), but they couldn't get the coil to false for whatever reason even with a couple hours of testing. Took it out again and it was falsing after the first days use. Even a slight hand touch around the coil edge throws a signal.

I'd be happy to find an easy repair solution also. thumbsup

Opal Miner & Gold Detecting Addict. GPZ7000, GPX5000, SDC2300.

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
14 February 2020 01:14 pm

My only suggestion would be if you can do a short video demo'ing the problem, this can really help Minelab sometimes.

Syndyne, if you are only slightly touching the coil, not physically knocking it, and it is sounding off, then possibly a coil shielding issue??

Not sure if Woody does coil repairs or not? In the few coils I have repaired for myself over the years, I said I'd never do it again as it's just too time consuming.

Agent for Minelab, Nugget Finder, Nokta & Makro, Quest, Detech, SteelPhase - Phase Technical Website

Bush
14 February 2020 06:09 pm

~Mate~ Thanks for The Corrective Services ~ Grub Stake.
I`m glad you filled me in on that.
So really `i` owe the apology to Nenad and the Gratitude & Helpful hints most thankful for .
Thanks Nenad.
Now `i` need to go into my Archives & see if Woody did actually reply & i`m now not shore what Woody`s Christian name is. ?

On the Jack Lange note ; All that `i` was informed that my Sdc did attend the QLD business for some rectification or inspection of such.
This sdc has been a bit of a mystery from the start.
The seller was jaded so to speak. Coffed up a bit later on. He could be Woody`s Nephew F***-nose.
I`ve heard a few people / tecno`s of such had a probe around in it.
Even had a suspicions that Ismael may have had some interests or involvement in it.
So it`s really been a Story not So Well Told.
Also rumor had it that there was another sdc in it`s modded experiment stages that turned out tobe a dud.
I got the better one so The Big Goanna told me.
Someone knows the full story ??? at least i`ve placed my cards on the table.'
Other than that `im happy with it & enjoy experimenting with it.'
It should & will be a good partner with my gpx 4500 when i set off around Oz.

Now has anyone got any second hand 8`` sdc coils ?
I think we got off track. perfect

3 users like this post: grubstake, PhaseTech, sand surfer

StayyerAU
Yesterday 04:48 am

G'day

Usually the issue with a coil that is touch sensitive or sounds off when put close to the ground is that either one of the connections at the plug has a dry solder joint, has a broken wire in the cable or that inside the coil the wires that connect to the outer skin of the faraday shielding inside the coil has broken loose, (this is usually more common with older coils mono and dd) the shielding is coated with a carbon paint and the wires are very thin and mostly just taped across the shield surface, the wires can oxidize and lose contact with the surface, I have repaired several coils with this issue, cleaning the oxidation off the wire and bonding it back to the shielding with some electrically conductive epoxy that does the trick.( can be purchased at jaycar or on ebay )

The hardest part is taking the coil apart without doing too much damage, mostly heating the coil case joint with a heat gun to soften the glue and then use a sharp knife to open the joint around the coil, when the inside has been repaired I make a glue from old skid plate pieces melted down with acetone to re bond the coil back together, job done, the only time it didn't work was when someone else had been at it and later I discovered that they had soldered the wires ass about in the plug, mono and dd plugs are wired differently so have a good look at the connections and how they are bridged before de soldering them, also check the plug solder joints first before pulling the coil body apart.

I have not done an sdc coil but I would say that internally they would be the same as any other mono coil and the shielding etc would be the same, if the coil cable has damage internally that might be another story as those issues are hard to isolate, and if you locate the break you can cut and re join the cable but have to be careful to seal it very well to keep any moisture out of it.

cheers

stayyerAU

3 users like this post: grubstake, Retirement Stone, Bush

Bush
Today 05:50 am

G`day StayyerAu,
Nice input ``Good Stuff.
If your replacing The shielding Wires top & bottom over the carbon discs referred to ` The Drain Wire s they need tobe ( Non-Magnetic.)
I used Jaycars Duratec ww4040 wire Nicrome 0.32mm matches up nice to the sdc 2300 original specs.
i`d hate to hear that someone took P/A members advice only to receive a disgruntled failed message. angel

Last edited by Bush (Today 05:54 am)

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site