Noise Cancelling Headphones For Detecting?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LORD

Jay
Reaction score
I am looking at getting some noise cancelling headphones, specifically the Sony WH-1000XM3and was thinking if these would work while detecting.
I would plug directly into my SP01 so guess delays in the latency would not be an issue.

Lord.

Before purchasing any noise cancelling headphones check out exactly how they work.

You will probably find them useless out in the bush. They work better with a constant noise such as on an aeroplane or train. Intermittent noise such as out in the bush, and especially the low levels of noise encountered out there probably wouldn't be loud enough to activate the noise cancelling.

Regards Axtyr.

Never used noise cancelling headphones, but out bush i would be thinking of my safety also. Need to hear what is around you too.

Ive got some and use them but I prefer not to turn on the noise canceling on them I find just using them in normal mode is better I have tried both ways but prefer normal mode cheers Muk.

Cheers, guess my "good" idea isn't that great lol
I'm probably getting a set anyway for personal use and travelling so I'll report if I end up trying them

i have tried good quality noise cancelling earphones on my sdc2300 and they don't work as well as the $10 junk shop ones. i think they might cancel out some of the signal. A bit tinny but much clearer on the cheap headphones

There are many choices in noise cancelling headphones and ear buds. The Sony are inferior to some of the cheaper ones, with the Aldi Bauhn being really good at giving a real 'hush', and the Bose ear buds are just brilliant.
axtyr, if you have never used NC phones or buds then you will not know how good they are. They do not cancel out faint signals, but in fact enhance them as they only cancel out 'white' noise. Many have a slight amplification when switched on while some do not. Most have their own built in rechargeable battery while others require the battery to be replaced or recharged externally.
Most varieties do not remove outside noises such as cars or voices, although the Bose ear buds shut out almost everything, which could present the odd problem, although I use them a lot, as in summer I like to wear a broad brimmed hat. Some head phones can also be hot and sweaty, especially the Koss.
I have been using NC phones for years, the first brand being Jabra. These are quite good, although they require the batteries (one per side) to be charged externally. I believe that they are now superseded and replaced by the brand 'Black Box' which from what I can see are identical. If you can pick up either of these they are an effective product. There is no latency or lag on the ones I have used, but the Bluetooth versions may have. I use mine in conjunction with the Quest cordless system, a combination that works just great.

Have a look at isolating headphones also if the NC ones are too much of an issue.

I exclusively use pro audio/studio isolating Sennheisers on all my detectors and they work a treat (simply after trying them as an experiment many years ago), but as Reg mentioned above the Summer temps can and will definitely be a factor, so the earbud units can be a wise investment.

Cheers,
Shauno.

Latest posts