Mount Mulligan QLD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all just wondering if anyone knows anything about Mount Mulligan QLD I have googled it and found a small amount of information on the station and camping they do mention metal detecting, and fossicking.

What I'm looking for is has there been any luck up there with a detector?
And because its in the table lands if it is suitable weather around the Christmas time? that's if the monsoons don't come in.
I'm at Yeppoon so I know the humidity and monsoon weather

Last year we were at Glendons and had a few days that hit 40 wasn't a bother as the heat was dry, just wondering would it be the same up Mulligan?.
Kim-margaret

KIM-MARGARET said:
Hi all just wondering if anyone knows anything about Mount Mulligan QLD I have googled it and found a small amount of information on the station and camping they do mention metal detecting, and fossicking.

The info that you found online is from the old owners of "Mount Mulligan" station and is no longer current. The current owner of "Mount Mulligan" station doesn't allow detecting or fossicking. That being said the old owners still own a small section which consists of the old town site and the weir where they run a camp ground.

What I'm looking for is has there been any luck up there with a detector?

Yes in the past there has been great success in detecting there.

And because its in the table lands if it is suitable weather around the Christmas time? that's if the monsoons don't come in.

Not really a good time of year to be out there unless your prepared for the heat and major humidity and you may have to wait for a river or two to drop enough to be crossed.

I'm at Yeppoon so I know the humidity and monsoon weather

Last year we were at Glendons and had a few days that hit 40 wasn't a bother as the heat was dry, just wondering would it be the same up Mulligan?.
Kim-margaret

Thanks blind_freddie
Some are saying its up for auction at the moment and if it sells new owners wont let people on just need a break and not sure what way to head.
Im busting I just got a new 4800 and I cant wait until winter to try it out.
k-m

Hi guys thanks for that, we will head out to Clermont this long week end coming up.

Might be a bit of a challenge with the long grass, but who knows what could happen.
Cheers K=M

No worries and good luck. I wish we had a general permission area up here for gold detecting, it would certainly make it a lot easier for the majority of us far north QUEENSLANDER's regarding having access to land for detecting.

Hi KM,
Give the guys at Tyrconnell a ring, they arent always able to answer but leave them a message and a number. They will get back to you.
They allow fossicking on their property for a small fee of $10 a head and run the place as a part museum part b&b.
As for mt mulligan station its unclear yet who will buy it, thers is an auction at the end of October I believe, there has been talk about it going into the hands of aboriginal owners who may or may not allow prospecting bearing in mind that it contains a protected site on mt mulligan itself.
So its a wait and see time right now.
If I hear anymore news ill post it up here.
Cheers TGW

North Queensland Detecting Options-

Western Creek Station.
Dells Hole Station
Flat Creek Station.
Gilberton Station.
Mt Talbot Station.

All of these properties are "Pay to Detect" locations in the Georgetown to Forsayth district & are all worth a look around.

You may need to pay a bit to get access but remember these guy's are doing it tough due to "Failed" wet seasons, personally I don't think anyone in North Queensland can complain about limited access, there is plenty of country out there.
cheers
Lee

rc62burke said:
personally I don't think anyone in North Queensland can complain about limited access, there is plenty of country out there.
cheers
Lee

Please don't think that I'm complaining, far from it. I have have access to some of the Hodgekinson Gold fields with in an hours drive from my house. I was merely stating that it would be good if we had some general permission areas up here and believe me I don't mind paying my way for anything, I'm all for supporting the graziers also after all I worked in that industry for many years.

Blind_Freddie said:
rc62burke said:
personally I don't think anyone in North Queensland can complain about limited access, there is plenty of country out there.
cheers
Lee

Please don't think that I'm complaining, far from it. I have have access to some of the Hodgekinson Gold fields with in an hours drive from my house. I was merely stating that it would be good if we had some general permission areas up here and believe me I don't mind paying my way for anything, I'm all for supporting the graziers also after all I worked in that industry for many years.

Mate my comment is just an in general statement & not aimed at anyone in particular, I am just pointing out that there are plenty of options out there, obviously not as close as we would all like but great spots to visit.

I am on the fence with GPA's as I have never been to one, they do cost a bit for your permit too don't they? & as far as I know you can't camp on them, so you have to pay out to camp in a Van park or other area?
Also there is no local knowledge available like there is with Stations, most that I have been to are helpful with info on their area & can save you a bit of work.

Yes a GPA that allowed Camping in your area & the Palmer would be Magic.
cheers
Lee

Hi guys

TGW thanks for that will give them a try everything rest on the monsoon going up, googled and it looks great.

Thanks RC been up to those places June just gone, done well at Talbot and Western creek, weather there already hitting 37c was told the summer days land on 45-46 everyday, those areas are defiantly our winter spots. Really thought heading to the table lands days would be cooler can bear like a 40-41 if need be but 46 I would give it a miss.

Blind-Freddie You are right about the permission areas, makes life/hobby easier when you know where to head and the information is at hand.

Clermont having such a great range of permission areas make our hobby/life easy we know where we are detecting before we get there again pretty hot in the summer.

Cheers Guys thank for that :) K-M

Hey guys I'm 22, I'm the grandson of Charles James archer (Jim) who is one of the speakers for the Gugu Djungan tribe from mt Mulligan I've have been trying to get contact with the new owners and talked to them about what areas people can come out and prospects. There's a far bit of county out there and a lot of it isn't even near Mt Mulligan or the resort, a lot of the country has fences and Gates part of this area called condapringa witch it traditional land, but there are some Ares you can go and prospect

The Federal Court of Australia has recognised the Djungan Peoples exclusive rights to possession, occupation, use and enjoyment over approximately 149,915 ha of land, Mr Cripps said.

The Djungan People also have non-exclusive rights over approximately 33,058 ha of land to be present on, move about, travel, camp, hunt, gather, conduct ceremonies, maintain places of importance and significance and teach in accordance with traditional laws and customs

I used to go to Mt Mulligan years ago before it closed, and was getting to know all the tracks. I didn't find any gold but I think it was just a matter of time.
When it closed I didn't bother anymore, I like the place and would like to go back if there were areas open, with out looking over my shoulder. as it's not far to go from Cairns.

Cheers Prooz

Yeah mate it's a little bit hard with the new owners and all the laws that's have been involved in the land title, the stretch of land from Mulligan to carbine have some gold thought it you just have to find the spots they aren't on traditional land just so you don't get in trouble which is very annoying
I'm trying to talk with my nudge (Grandad) to get more information about everything out there so people can go have some fun
I know some of my family and friend that's have got gold from there years ago and some recent gold from around that area,
Just wondering if you have tried closhey river I live on the an I have found some fine gold no honey holes or anything be trying to get information on the old mine sight,

I'm happy to try my best in answering questions you may have about Mt Mulligan and get more information for the prospectors I have read a couple of forums online but not much has been said

With Palmer River gold field now closed due to road blocks (Covid) I'm considering Mulligan areas & areas/creeks to the south of road blocks. I'm Cairns based so considering alternative sites. Mulligan sure is a pretty location, especially at sunrise. Good luck all.

Gusto said:
With Palmer River gold field now closed due to road blocks (Covid) I'm considering Mulligan areas & areas/creeks to the south of road blocks. I'm Cairns based so considering alternative sites. Mulligan sure is a pretty location, especially at sunrise. Good luck all.

Sadly Mulligan is closed. I'm Cairns based as well, it's very disappointing. The nearest place we are allowed to detect/pan is Georgetown 6 hours away.

Latest posts