You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

beaul
06 February 2020 07:03 pm

I can't believe the comments about going on to farmers land without their permission, it is a wonder you don't get shot, all farmers have guns.
Have a business card made up showing your personal details, be polite and abide by their rules, it is their land, get over it.
i just read jack lange's book, it would seem all of his finds were on farmers land. farmer are not psycho just trying to protect what they believe is theirs

1 user likes this post: mudgee hunter

Martin
06 February 2020 07:48 pm

beaul wrote:

I can't believe the comments about going on to farmers land without their permission, it is a wonder you don't get shot, all farmers have guns.
Have a business card made up showing your personal details, be polite and abide by their rules, it is their land, get over it.

Yep I agree. No harm in asking and being honest about it.

You might end up like this bloke, going back onto private property and it looks like the owners finally had enough:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-31/ … n/11834344

Mystery still surrounds gold prospector's murder

Schuler, a retired builder, had been gold prospecting in a dry gully on Palmerville Station with three friends when he disappeared.

In July 2015 at the Supreme Court in Cairns, the station's owners, Stephen Struber and Dianne Wilson-Struber, were found guilty of his murder and with interfering with a corpse.

It was a murder case without a body or any direct forensic evidence linking the couple to Schuler's death.

The trial heard police found drops of Schuler's blood, burnt patches of grass, and tyre marks matching the Strubers' car in a gully about two kilometres from the homestead.

The Crown's case rested on the evidence of Schuler's fellow prospectors who reported hearing two gunshots several minutes apart after a vehicle matching the Struber's pulled up in the area where they were searching for gold.

The prospectors were on the Struber's land without permission, and one of them had been confronted by Stephen Struber about a week prior and was told him to get off his land.

Last edited by Martin (06 February 2020 07:50 pm)

Gear: Minelab CTX 3030 and PRO-FIND 25 Pinpointer
www.mineralcollectiononline.com - My Minerals, Fossils and Collectables website

Banjo68
06 February 2020 08:05 pm

On one of my first prospecting outings , after weeks of research I drove out blindly to where I knew there were some old mines. I new they were on leased land. But some were not. So I thought I would check out the area. Never know until ya go. I was driving past a a property that I knew there was old workings in the hill behind it. But leased land. I noticed a bloke planting some trees out near the front gate. So I stopped and introduced myself,asked if he new anything about the old mines. He said he had the lease on the SF land and told me that the old mines were just up behind his place. He gave me access through his place. I found the old mines and had a great day in the bush. All my research paid off. No gold cry But that wasn't the purpose of the day.
Anyway just saying have some respect and if you don't ask you won't get.
Old mate didn't have to let me on his land but I think he saw I was not a d@#khead a new I had done some research to find the place. And made a friend thumbsup big_smile
I'll be going back not done with that area yet playful

Equinox 800 , Gold Rat sluice , Minelab pans ,pair of worn out boots

4 users like this post: mudgee hunter, goody2shoes, sand surfer, Ben Digo

mudgee hunter
06 February 2020 08:30 pm

Once you earn good respect with one owner, it opens up gates of neighbors. And will advise you of his gold knowledge and of who else is approachable.

6 users like this post: Banjo68, goody2shoes, savage bitter, Martin, LoneWolf, sand surfer

Banjo68
06 February 2020 09:02 pm

Could not agree more MH 100 thumbsup

Equinox 800 , Gold Rat sluice , Minelab pans ,pair of worn out boots

TroopyLove
11 February 2020 04:57 pm

I didnt think anyone was allowed to own part of a river, stream, ocean, etc. Thought everyone had right of access to all water.

Smoky bandit
11 February 2020 05:43 pm

In Qld you have the right if it's navigatable by boat.Other than that it can be private property. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong or the laws changed. thumbsup

No pain No gain..

mudgee hunter
11 February 2020 05:49 pm

Here we go again! Ha.
NSW rivers you are generally ok to navigate (boat, canoe etc) through them, as long as enter the water way via public property, or consent of the land owner.
Even if the river is a stone's throw from the road, and there is a fence...... You can't jump it.
Creeks are creeks.... next thing to a gully.
Even if they have a name or not.
If they go through a private property.... it's exactly that.
The property owner dose not "own" the water. But he owns the creek bed. He is also bound to follow rules of water acts.
He can't make a weir or dams unless permitted.
If you where to lawfully launch your boat and head upstream and find a gravel bar in the river bed exposed.
And farmer Brown owns both sides say..
I'm sure you would be fine having a fossik their.
But I would stay off the bank where normally dry.
I have only ever a couple of properties dived as a boundary of a creek. A fence on either side.
Very rare.
Farmer Brown might fence along the rivers edge above normal flood level, but chances are it is only a perimeter of a paddock, NOT his true boundary.
Some private property is not fenced "un-fenced" / open, off the side of the road, generally you can't get hit straight off the bat for trespassing, unless clearly sign posted.
Decline to leave asap, your now trespassing.
" Enclosed land", jump that fence, your toast without a word being exchanged.

Last edited by mudgee hunter (11 February 2020 05:50 pm)

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site