Fluorescent Torches & Lamps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks GR - I've searched the net for UV lamps and have bought a few, then decided to build my own.
I'm building one powered by 240Vac, as I want to use it on a display case.
It therefore has to be a much higher wattage and not running on batteries.
It'll cost around $130 in parts and I'm having fun building it (when I find time).

Here is the torch LW
1581380388_thumbnail_2.jpg
1581380407_thumbnail.jpg

white light
1581380440_thumbnail_1.jpg

yellow light
1581380468_thumbnail_3.jpg

uv light
1581380504_thumbnail_4.jpg

white and yellow light pictures taken outside in the sunlight rector burners they are that bright, uv in the shed could not see the uv outside

BigWave said:
Thanks GR - I've searched the net for UV lamps and have bought a few, then decided to build my own.
I'm building one powered by 240Vac, as I want to use it on a display case.
It therefore has to be a much higher wattage and not running on batteries.
It'll cost around $130 in parts and I'm having fun building it (when I find time).
Mains is good for display but not for use in the field - horses for courses I guess.

Completed and powered on.
Very little UVC light output.
Stupidly, I ordered a ZWB1 filter, whereas this UVC lamp requires a ZWB3 filter :(
So, another few weeks wait until the correct filter arrives.

Ooops BW...

That's a bright torch Sand Surfer... I think you will find the 'UV' is a 'Black Light'..... Ok on some minerals but not in the UV Spectrum...

That would be good in the bush at night tho. Lots of Fun.. :D

We plan to build a 'Home use' UV light first... then move into the Field Lights... They will take a bit more to get up and going... But they won't be as expensive as most that are out there...

You could always use a generator to power a home light in the Field... That would work in most areas that I know where these minerals hide... :pickshovel:

LW...

Thanks for that lone wolf,what have i done 8.(
yes it is a bright light you can see the blue light on the kitchen floor in the middle of the day :)
looks like i have got a expensive scorpion hunting torch :lol:
Ok i will have to wait and see what you and big wave come up with in the near future :)

Guessologist said:
It would be interesting to see if performance was changed at all in a meaningful way later on with the use of a fan regardless of heat issues. Some/many bulbs create ozone which strongly absorbs UV-C so it's best to vent it out if it's in there. I guess a sniff test would tell you if a lot of ozone being made.

You were quite correct Guessologist and I thank you for your input.

The lamp that I bought does have a 10% 185nm spectral omission, which creates a lot of Ozone.

These 254nm germicidal lamps come in Ozone and non-Ozone variants (the non-Ozone variants use a Chemical doping of the Quartz to suppress the 185nm emissions).

I'll start looking for a non-Ozone emitting lamp such as the Philips TUV PL-S series.

Good to see BigWave discussing uv lamps. There has been some previous discussion of uv lamps - it is good to get the right lamp as some are pretty useless.
1604701185_fluorescent.jpg

There seems to be quite a few AA battery powered LED UV long and Short Wave torches on ebay.. 254 nM & 395 nM
I have one of each and they seem to be ok but not much range.

Also have Gemmologist type LW & SW light boxes. The above torches perform quite well.
The uranium glass on the "Interesting Stuff Under UV" topic was illuminated by this from 2 foot dist:

1615448438_rscn1960.jpg