WHITES GMT Goldmaster information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the nokia md-11 booster speakers and fitted them to the GMT as Mbasko suggested. They work a treat, i can run on 4-5 gain and hear targets as if i was in gain of 7. The volume they put out with such a low threshold setting is amazing. The lower gain stops a lot of those hot rock effects and still gives good sensitivity to targets. You can really hear the chatter of the threshold better which was caused by EMI. If i tried to run over a gain of 4 on the weekend the chatter could be heard.Unfortunately no gold this trip, but i highly recommend these speakers. They cost $24.00 from OZ and free postage, a bargain i thought...roscoe

Roscoe said:
I bought the nokia md-11 booster speakers and fitted them to the GMT as Mbasko suggested. They work a treat, i can run on 4-5 gain and hear targets as if i was in gain of 7. The volume they put out with such a low threshold setting is amazing. The lower gain stops a lot of those hot rock effects and still gives good sensitivity to targets. You can really hear the chatter of the threshold better which was caused by EMI. If i tried to run over a gain of 4 on the weekend the chatter could be heard.Unfortunately no gold this trip, but i highly recommend these speakers. They cost $24.00 from OZ and free postage, a bargain i thought...roscoe

Thats handy to know. I might try this over the summer as I dont like wearing headphones in the heat. The only downside im guessing would be the battery life.
How do you reckon the batteries hold up running a speaker?
Regards greg

I have run the booster speakers for one full day and the batteries are still going strong.

1-AUTO TRACKING (fast auto trac)
I use this Mode for everything it works amazing in all ground conditions.
What it does when selected it automatically tunes the detector when the ground changes mineralization "some say" it tunes out small targets and refuse to use it, but it has proven its self many times over. With practice you too can learn what's a hot rock or ground noise as a metal target will give the same sound both ways but a hot rock or ground noise after a few sweeps will get distorted some cases will disappear. (Using manual mode you can't do this successful) also using auto trac allows you to concentrate on what's important not on what the display thinks. I hope someone can add tips and tricks with auto trac as this resource
can and will be handy even for the experienced .

Went out to the white swan near ballarat today. I bought the gold atlas of Victoria which indicated that 2 large nuggets where found near there. Unfortunately it's fenced off and was unable to get near to where the nuggets where found. Also the atlas didn't give me an idea of the depth they where found at. So I kept driving till I found what seemed to be a good area. Lots of old digs and one shaft that was so deep I couldn't see the bottom. Down side was that there was a lot of shell casings and garbage. Found a horse shoe and some nails. Dug out a twisted god knows what. It was a great chance to try out my Xmas present to myself - the Garrett pin pointer. Saved so much time digging. Found the garbage straight up lol.
So any words of wisdom for a frustrated newbie??? I'm going to try and do some beach prospecting to get my confidence back up. I just find digging up all this crap a little demoralising. But I guess you've got to do your time. 8)

GMT Bandit, Sounds like the area is not going to be right for the machine. If there are holes that are too deep it means the old timers were looking for reef gold to deep for our machines. On the Atlas look for areas of surfacing and shallow diggings this is going to be your best chance mate. Work the tailing piles also you might get lucky on what the old timers missed.

GMT Bandit said:
Went out to the white swan near ballarat today. I bought the gold atlas of Victoria which indicated that 2 large nuggets where found near there. Unfortunately it's fenced off and was unable to get near to where the nuggets where found. Also the atlas didn't give me an idea of the depth they where found at. So I kept driving till I found what seemed to be a good area. Lots of old digs and one shaft that was so deep I couldn't see the bottom. Down side was that there was a lot of shell casings and garbage. Found a horse shoe and some nails. Dug out a twisted god knows what. It was a great chance to try out my Xmas present to myself - the Garrett pin pointer. Saved so much time digging. Found the garbage straight up lol.
So any words of wisdom for a frustrated newbie??? I'm going to try and do some beach prospecting to get my confidence back up. I just find digging up all this crap a little demoralising. But I guess you've got to do your time. 8)

Hey GMTBandit

You were on the right track mate, I'm assuming you kept driving until you came top a bend and hit a left to a dirt road? if you stay right and continue down towards drakes road you will cross three reefs. ON the left side of the road there are lots of deep pits however to the right there is alot more bedrock and shallow ground there is lots of small gold around here and its probably a good place to cut your teeth on with a GMT. THis area has heaps of shallow workings you will not find on any maps. good luck

Have patience on the GMT, a lot of new owners dismissed it too quickly when they hadn't found a thing with it other than bullets etc. Takes a bit of time to master regarding using the SAT function and the right sensitivy settings for the ground worked on. Best thing to do is to carry a small nugget so you can tune it for the ground mineralisation in that area. One owner on here got frustrated with it and went out and bought GPX5000, but has since found gold with the GMT, so don't give up. :)

Anyone keen for a swing on Wednesday new years day?Only going to be around 30 We can have a GMT users Christmas party....

Hey everyone iv been out in the heat of tibooburra the last few days we have come up here for New Years' so far iv got 9 tiny gold nuggets with the GMT for about 4-5 hrs work on old tailing piles you couldn't buy a better machine for small gold!
My avatar photo is from our last trip 17 over 8hrs

Good work, can't wait to see some photos. Just in time for the pub to open to...

Thanks for the tip!!!! I found a spot that had recently been burnt out and I thought it might hold some virgin ground. But with all the trash it was just too frustrating. Some poor buggar had dug up this massive "T" shaped piece of iron and left it under a tree. My heart went out to him. I've never realised what a massive effect humans have had on the environment.

G0lddigg@ said:
GMT Bandit said:

Hey GMTBandit

You were on the right track mate, I'm assuming you kept driving until you came top a bend and hit a left to a dirt road? if you stay right and continue down towards drakes road you will cross three reefs. ON the left side of the road there are lots of deep pits however to the right there is alot more bedrock and shallow ground there is lots of small gold around here and its probably a good place to cut your teeth on with a GMT. THis area has heaps of shallow workings you will not find on any maps. good luck

G0lddigg@ I can't tell you how much I appreciate the tip. I feel the GMT is an awesome machine...I just need to get it over the top of gold. Then I can prove to the ball and chain that I'm not crazy. I feel like going down the gold shop and buying a small nugget and tell her that I found it to prove there's gold still out there. Lol. To be totally honest I'd just love to find some old relics or coins. So thank you the tip!!!!!!!! I'll let you know how I go.

Well home from tibooburra' such a great holiday even in the summer! Total find was 9 tiny gold nuggets for about 10hrs work hard to gasp if you saw how tiny they are.
Anyway the GMT has once proven its self again! I'll post a pic up in a few days.

GMT Bandit said:
Finally found gold!!!!!!

It was on a beach and it was a gold ring along with $8 in coins.

I love my GMT!!!!!!

:)

Hey bandit. How well did the gmt go on the beach? Did you have to stick to the dry sand?
Greg

Mate the GMT is a dream on the beach. I used the standard DD coil on it. Didn't go near the water, but stayed higher up the beach where people drop the coin. I couldn't believe it when I found the ring. Finally I found gold. Well not a nugget...but it was gold!!!!

Plus the GMT is paying it self off. Ok so it'll take about 20 years at this rate LOL. I had the kids out with the Garrett pin pointer. I found the hits and they bagged them. Shame it wasn't a bigger catch. But it was fun.

Only thing is be careful getting sand and salt water on the controls. I gave mine a good cleaning when I got back to camp. Nothing worst than a rusty old GMT.

Definitely worth a crack!!!! :lol:

I am a believer!

Last weekend I went out with my 6x4. I've always been a bit reluctant due to it's size but I thought I'd give it a go.
Wow...I literally walked across the road and found an old chinese coin. It must have fallen out of an old timer as he
sat beside a tree. Then after finding a heap of junk I found a half penny. This little beauty found stuff in area's I'd already gone over.

I just have to say the garret pin pointer is the best investment I've made. No more deep holes, this little baby helps me find stuff quick.

fantastic!!!!!

If you're thinking of getting a whites GMT...go for it. What a great machine, especially for a noob like me!

Latest posts