Bushfire charities

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if the families of deceased firefighters get compo from govt or are the private donations the only payment they will get ?

Just curious..

CreviceSucker said:
Does anyone know if the families of deceased firefighters get compo from govt or are the private donations the only payment they will get ?

Just curious..
$250,000 here in S.A. as it came up the other night in conversation, my mates mrs new the exact amount instantly.

That is why i will only donate to charities like the one my sister volunteers for ,there is not one person on wage's ,they work on a roster and the volunteers that have a ute get fuel vouchers and they use their own ute to deliver the care package's, my sister delivers to the same family's each week,they found that it is good for morale for the package receivers to see a familiar face each week,they open up more on what they need, each package is packed to suit each family,if you donate to the local groups then the money stays in the area O:)

I AM NOT OPPOSED TO CHARITIES....however....I NO LONGER DONATE TO MOST OF THEM.

Looking at the 2019 Annual Report for Red Cross, their commitment of charitable funds within Australia was 47% or less than half of their revenue.
They spend about 24% of all their income on operating costs (salaries, cost of fund raising, admin).
They send 10% of their income to overseas initiatives(not all of which are detailed in their annual report)

In 2019 Red Cross spent about the same $ on 'inclusion programs"( whatever they are) as they sent to farmers for drought relief.

The bulk of charities in Australia spend high percentage of income on their operations...so no real surprise that Red Cross has been hammered for how little it wanted to send to fire relief.

In 2011, The Australian published a table of charities and how much of their income was used to actually raise that income. Surf Life Saving came out on top with 62% of its income being spent on raising that income. That means 38% of their income from all sources would go to Life Saving.

1580683818_charities_table.jpg

Jackthehound said:
While some figures might be debatable the bottom line is this is so wrong. The Government should step in & make these charities more accountable.
Plumping up their costs in relation to the amount of donations isn't on. Their running costs shouldn't increase to the degree some of them are claiming (see below).
Some are claiming they want to ensure help over the next few years so they're holding money back. The affected people need help now, right now, not next week/month/year - if more help is needed going forward then Australians will continue to put their hands in their pockets to help out going forward.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/bushfire-relief-charity-donations-delay-explainer-2020-1
"The Red Cross denied however the remainder was only going to marketing, with Brown revealing a maximum of 10%, or roughly $11.5 million of the money, would be spent on administrative items like fuel for cars and computers."
And likely to fatten CEO salaries ]:D
The big question for me is why does it suddenly costs these charities more in marketing & administration costs when a large amount of donation money comes in? Shouldn't thier running costs already be largely considered/managed beforehand - to me it's just a cash grab while the cash is there. I can understand some increase in costs but $11.5M is ludicrous! More donation money doesn't equal $11.5M in extraordinary running costs. :mad:

Some of the fine print on some of these Relief packages says to be 'eligible for this Grant, you must NOT have received any other Financial Support'...

I know people who have only got $2000, since their house burnt down.... And not a charitable organisation has ben seen in their Town... Not even 'Councillors' have visited... These services have been requested, but no sign of them yet...

And it has been over 2 months since their fire.... Not good enough...

After the Indo Tsunami, I made up my mind that if I can help personally I will (donate Goods instead of Cash)... No more money to so called Charities who commit Fraud just to boost up their Bank Accounts...

LW....

mbasko said:
Jackthehound said:
While some figures might be debatable the bottom line is this is so wrong. The Government should step in & make these charities more accountable.
Plumping up their costs in relation to the amount of donations isn't on. Their running costs shouldn't increase to the degree some of them are claiming (see below).
Some are claiming they want to ensure help over the next few years so they're holding money back. The affected people need help now, right now, not next week/month/year - if more help is needed going forward then Australians will continue to put their hands in their pockets to help out going forward.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/bushfire-relief-charity-donations-delay-explainer-2020-1
"The Red Cross denied however the remainder was only going to marketing, with Brown revealing a maximum of 10%, or roughly $11.5 million of the money, would be spent on administrative items like fuel for cars and computers."
And likely to fatten CEO salaries ]:D
The big question for me is why does it suddenly costs these charities more in marketing & administration costs when a large amount of donation money comes in? Shouldn't thier running costs already be largely considered/managed beforehand - to me it's just a cash grab while the cash is there. I can understand some increase in costs but $11.5M is ludicrous! More donation money doesn't equal $11.5M in extraordinary running costs. :mad:

Do you reckon we need to contact Federal Police and lodge a complaint of suspicion of fraud ?

I am hoping they would be doing it already without needing an official complaint.

I hope that process involves at least a few detectives climbing up their ass and turning every transaction upside down , including looking for the sophisticated skimming software used by criminal networks to defraud accounting software and banking processes with hidden transactions or to disguise transactions by camouflaging fraud among approved transaction types.

They the governments want people who have lost their houses to remain in their towns and not leave.
How about these charities combine and buy second hand caravans for these people.
Say 1500 hundreds home lost x $30000 caravans equals 45.000,000.
Then on completion when their homes are rebuilt give them back to the charities for resale so they can recoup their some of their monies.
Unfortunately as usual it'll get sucked up into admin fees or put into their investment portfolio's .

For the two people who lost their lives in Cobargo,

From Channel 7's web site,

If youd like to help Renee Salway and her family, here are the details.

Salway Family Donations

Commonwealth Bank, Bega

BSB: 062 505

ACCOUNT: 103 203 557

All donations go directly to them.

RM Outback said:
Here's what Kate and I are up to today building a part order of 300 padlocks for Blazeaid trailers (3 on each trailer) I've got 90 to do today while I wait for the balance of stock to come in. Kate's slowing me down she's not a very good apprentice :| :lol: she gets on a roll and says how well she's doing them stuffs up and slows the whole process :argh: I'm already busy enough 8.(
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7093/1580619376_img_20200202_154551.jpg

If anyone knows of people looking for a project to help out those affected by the fires Blazeaid is seeking as many volunteers as possible. Blazeaid is starting up 100 new bases from Kangaroo Island and other part's of SA through Victoria NSW and QLD so if you or anyone else can help Blazeaid will welcome you/ everyone with open arms.
https://blazeaid.com.au/

Interesting. I am currently volunteering with BlazeAid (will be for several more weeks at least) and as most of the trailers holding gear to use on disasters went to NSW, as their fires and recovery needs started earlier. Therefore there have also been a few delays in getting the gear/tools to do the work and also access to the areas mainly impacted in Victoria, due to road closures Some of the places where we are working, still have restricted access. New camps will be starting soon and NO experience is needed, although experience is welcomed.
Can be dirty work, but it is very rewarding to see a new section of boundary fence go up and the people are extremely appreciative of the help. So don't hestitate to contact one of the BlazeAid camps if you have a couple of days or weeks to give a hand.

Rob P.

Good job Pablo. I helped after Black Saturday and those couple of days made me feel like I really did some good in a time when there was much loss, frustration and grief. It seemed so much more real than dollars and trusting what we were doing would make a direct difference.

There was a guy who worked with who asked for my name and contact details who worked as a Construction Supervisor, he arranged a number of metro tradies to return a few weeks later, I did some TA and painting work with the other volunteers who also donated materials and labour to help in reconstruction efforts.

I had the good fortune the year before last to return to a contract job in Kinglake where I got to stop in the nearby areas and speak to a few people who we helped, their memories were astounding, I guess when you go through such a difficult time you remember the help you recieve with more clarity.

Anyone who has the capicity to have helped, or to help, thank you for your efforts. The effect it has on others, often strangers, is profound and elevating. :fistpump: :Y:

The government will create some never heard of body of mates with a great publicity BS exercise to convince us mugs that all is good, and that the money will go where it is needed, when in actual fact all that loot will be pilfered away in administration, making already fat cats even fatter.
They have already done such a snow job in regard to the 'Great Barrier Reef.

PabloP said:
RM Outback said:
Here's what Kate and I are up to today building a part order of 300 padlocks for Blazeaid trailers (3 on each trailer) I've got 90 to do today while I wait for the balance of stock to come in. Kate's slowing me down she's not a very good apprentice :| :lol: she gets on a roll and says how well she's doing them stuffs up and slows the whole process :argh: I'm already busy enough 8.(
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7093/1580619376_img_20200202_154551.jpg

If anyone knows of people looking for a project to help out those affected by the fires Blazeaid is seeking as many volunteers as possible. Blazeaid is starting up 100 new bases from Kangaroo Island and other part's of SA through Victoria NSW and QLD so if you or anyone else can help Blazeaid will welcome you/ everyone with open arms.
https://blazeaid.com.au/

Interesting. I am currently volunteering with BlazeAid (will be for several more weeks at least) and as most of the trailers holding gear to use on disasters went to NSW, as their fires and recovery needs started earlier. Therefore there have also been a few delays in getting the gear/tools to do the work and also access to the areas mainly impacted in Victoria, due to road closures Some of the places where we are working, still have restricted access. New camps will be starting soon and NO experience is needed, although experience is welcomed.
Can be dirty work, but it is very rewarding to see a new section of boundary fence go up and the people are extremely appreciative of the help. So don't hestitate to contact one of the BlazeAid camps if you have a couple of days or weeks to give a hand.

Rob P.

Just dropped off 300 padlocks and keys to Kevin Butler today he's heading down to Gippsland tomorrow morning with some/most of the locks. Kev is one busy bloke honestly I have never met anyone who fields 10 phone calls in 15 minutes on a regular basis, from all over the country just amazing. I was with him for half an hour yet we only spoke for 5 or so minutes, in the half hour apart from intermittent chatting he hooked up his van ready for tomorrow's departure and never stopped talking mostly to Blazeaid camps or property owners requesting assistance. The other day when I was on the phone to him he was fielding phone calls on multiple phones so if you ever find yourself in the presence of Kevin Butler you will see what a great leader he is and his commitment to those who are in a desperate situation.

Latest posts