You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Uncle Buck
10 March 2014 10:28 pm

DWT, I do this every Friday night when I leave the Club, never thought of closing my eyes to help adjust my line of sight and when I take two steps the opposite way I usually achieve the fall down bit you talk about!

Uncle Buck, "Riding the crest of a slump"

Zuke_Lynzy
10 March 2014 11:11 pm

Know where you are at all times that means lots of research.
Make sure someone else knows where you should be at all times because when your not that's who you depend on.

Roscoe
12 March 2014 04:15 pm

Always take a pen and piece of paper with you, so when you get bit by a taipan you can write your love ones a message before you kiss your butt good bye.  smile

4 users like this post: loamer, gedanate, LoneWolf, Ben Digo

Detectist
12 March 2014 09:22 pm

Good topic. A whistle was mentioned earlier - also take a mirror.  They pack in hardly any space and can be effective over quite a distance and do not run out of power.

truckietrainer
03 April 2014 01:12 pm

http://www.vks737.on.net/pdfs/survival.pdf

Hi everyone, found this link, it's a survival guide put together by a W.A. Cop ,he's a trainer/survival expert with the W.A police ,  some great info in the guide, regards

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

3 users like this post: HeadsUp, Monty, Goldandsand

Digger Danny
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
29 May 2014 08:18 pm

If lost/broken down spread things out on the ground (blankets,clothing,tarps,mirrors, any bright objects) this makes you more visible from the air.

Cheers,

Rob

X-TERRA 705, MINELAB pin pointer,

rgmhot
29 May 2014 09:38 pm

I read a lot of these post and see a lot taking about walking out.
NO need to temp fate.
Get a EPIRB, strap it to your body never move without it. You fall down cant move, you have it on you.

no need to walk out. Soooo many die this way.

Xterra 705

gavfromoz
29 May 2014 09:47 pm

rgmhot wrote:

I read a lot of these post and see a lot taking about walking out.
NO need to temp fate.
Get a EPIRB, strap it to your body never move without it. You fall down cant move, you have it on you.

no need to walk out. Soooo many die this way.

You're spot on, golden rule in MOST cases is to stay with your vehicle. I've got a ResQ personal beacon and won't go anywhere without it while on a trip. Best investment ever!

The best way to predict the future is to create it and because of this, the floggings will continue until morale improves

The Green Wanderer
31 May 2014 09:24 am

One more thing to add, if you make camp and are unable find a bull ant or termite nest to spread around go and take a leak around your tent or if there are others with you around the camp perimeter. The smell of urine will deter most predators that may come snooping in the wee hours.
Note this only works for blokes as females lack the high levels of testosterone that marks ones territory.

Wandering the north wherever the trail leads.

Diggerman60
20 June 2014 11:14 pm

Very good topic guys! I travel and camp a lot on my own so Safety is No 1 on my list. You just never know what will go wrong!! I have a back pack with all my safety equipment in it, Hand held GPS, Personal GPS Epirb, a small first aid kit, sat phone, mirror, boat flares, v sheet, duct tape, zip ties, knife, lighters, compass, map which does take up much space. I take it everywhere I go. In my 4x4, on the boat and on my Quad when I am out prospecting. Everyone that goes bush should take Safety Equipment. You never know !!!! DUCT TAPE & ZIP TIES are very handy!! Better safe than sorry!!

Mine Lease - The Golden Spear Mine, 20tph wet plant, Excavator, ML GPZ 7000, ML GPX 4500, Highbanker, River Sluice, Pans, Yamaha 450 4x4 Quad Bike.

Paulmarr
21 June 2014 02:51 am

Get First Aid Training (from St. John's in South Australia) - all well and good to go prepared with every gizmo under the sun and a truck full of water... But guys and gals half the time our bodies are the issue - not the car or the flies. We are not all spring chickens or Olympians so you should always have someone in your group trained in dealing with serious injury/sickness - it might just save your life or the lives of others you are traveling with! Help could be hours away ...

Team Bogan member - GOLD BABY!

peterau
05 July 2014 12:55 am

My detecting set up cost me plenty, my wellbeing is worth more to me, so I forked out for a handheld GPS, personal EPIRB ( carry these with me at all times when detecting) Sat phone and UHF in my reliable well serviced 4x4. Got in the habit of this when I went out on my own looking for rocks on my day off when I worked in the N.T. at the top of the Tanami Cheers peterau

Love searching for GOLD and also GOLD and at other times GOLD

Gpx5000
25 July 2018 09:40 pm

We'll be fine in the bush, we've watched every episode of Russell Coights All Aussie Adventures. big_smile
PS. There's a new series starting on Sunday August 5 for those wanting to top up their outback bush 'knowledge'. thumbsup

7 users like this post: 7.62marksman, nucopia, Dave79, RM Outback, Smoky bandit, Wishfull, Gilly47

RM Outback
25 July 2018 10:02 pm

Gpx5000 wrote:

We'll be fine in the bush, we've watched every episode of Russell Coights All Aussie Adventures. big_smile
PS. There's a new series starting on Sunday August 5 for those wanting to top up their outback bush 'knowledge'. thumbsup

Ripper I'll be tuning in thumbsup

Smoky bandit
26 July 2018 07:32 am

My wife and kids call me Russell..After him..We have had many ..All Aussie Adventures. thumbsup

No pain No gain..

1 user likes this post: 7.62marksman

Wishfull
26 July 2018 12:09 pm

Smoky bandit wrote:

My wife and kids call me Russell..After him..We have had many ..All Aussie Adventures. thumbsup

LOL. Go on tell us one please. smile

1996 Garret Scorpion gold stinger, Minelab SDC2300, Equanox 800, Detecnix wader Li pinpointer, home made pick, 750 mm Walco pick, understanding wife, most of the time.

1 user likes this post: Smoky bandit

Ded Driver
26 July 2018 12:46 pm

Paulmarr wrote:

Get First Aid Training (from St. John's in South Australia) - all well and good to go prepared with every gizmo under the sun and a truck full of water... But guys and gals half the time our bodies are the issue - not the car or the flies. We are not all spring chickens or Olympians so you should always have someone in your group trained in dealing with serious injury/sickness - it might just save your life or the lives of others you are traveling with! Help could be hours away ...

right on the money thumbsup
oh yeah, & did you mention, MORE WATER (the dog gets thirsty too) tongue

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

Smoky bandit
26 July 2018 12:49 pm

Hahaha just a couple for you mate thumbsup
Hocked up the camper and drove off..but only hooked up the tail light conector.Broke the harness. lol

Threw petrol on the fire straight out of the 5ltr container after a few rums ..because the wood was damp..caught my arm and half the campsite on fire mad lol

Got bogged and had to wait for help...2 hrs later and $200 down....I realised I hadn't engaged the front accels.. mad lol

Slept out in the open on a cold night...too close to the fire..woke up with the sleeping bag shrinkwraped to my body..Again to many rums lol
The Adventures go on for ever mate thumbsup tongue

Last edited by Smoky bandit (26 July 2018 12:55 pm)

No pain No gain..

4 users like this post: LC76, Rockhunter62, brucee, Mackka

Gpx5000
26 July 2018 03:16 pm

Smoky bandit wrote:

I have a mate called Ollie, he takes after Russell, when we go 4x4ing we always say were going on an All Ollie Adventure big_smile

1 user likes this post: Smoky bandit

227dick
Banned
Banned
26 July 2018 03:20 pm

if you are lost don't cross fences you have a better chance of being found on a fence line than anywhere else this is from experience from hunters on my family property they head off cross fences and just go till they get bushed and can be miles away from where they started and were do you start to look trying to find them and carry something shiny everyone I found were reflecting something so they could be seen

1 user likes this post: Mackka

Ded Driver
16 September 2018 12:02 am

The link for a "Survival Manual -Aids to Survival Manual (Courtesy WA Police Academy)" that Loamer put up back in 2013 (page 1) no longer works. Here is a current link
https://vks737.radio/documents/
pdf document download can be found at the bottom of that page
Also note that this document appears to be from 2007 so is not necessarily up-to-date on all aspects.

Last edited by Ded Driver (16 September 2018 12:06 am)

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

5 users like this post: silver, Mackka, aussiefarmer, nucopia, LoneWolf

Detectist
07 February 2020 03:00 pm

Here is another compilation of survival tips.

The latest issue (No. 53) of Datum Post for APLA members will be useful to many. While there are stacks of articles in the world about bush survival this one is probably among the best IMHO. It is written by Robert Fagan. It is very comprehensive and easy to read and understand covering issues like the advantages of a good cooee over a whistle, and how to use your analogue watch as a compass (for those who still have such) and gives approx survival times dependent upon water, heat and whether you are stationary or moving. And LOTS of other good stuff.

I'm not sure about copyright so I haven't included the article here.

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site