NSW Highbanking - what is the current state of play?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decoy said:
Hi OldGT
I was not looking at circumventing or flaunting grey areas of the law, I am looking at making and buying equipment and wanted to better understand what I could and could not do.
In the past I have found that you have an Act and regulation but the enforcing department sometimes interprets them to suit their agendas.
Fair enough mate. Good luck with equipment. :Y: :perfect:

That's why I carry a copy of the Fossicking act in my glove box... Any arguments can be clarified very quickly...

I only carry the Fossicking act as that is what im doing... Fossicking Sir... :D

LW....

Hey all, maybe this is helpul:

What techniques can be used for fossicking?
Fossicking on land or waters that may be subject to native title is restricted by the terms of the Native Title Act1993 (Commonwealth). Land subject to native title can be taken to be any land other than freehold land, land held under perpetual Western Lands leases and some specific leasehold and reserved lands.

Fossicking can be done on land or waters subject to native title using hand held implements, which include picks, shovels, hammers, sieves, shakers and gold pans. However, regardless of the implements used, no excavation is permitted. On land or waters that are not subject to native title, fossicking is not restricted to hand held implements, but power-operated equipment cannot be used for the purpose of surface disturbance, excavation or processing.

Metal detectors can be used in fossicking activities on any land where fossicking is permitted.

What techniques cannot be used for fossicking? Neither explosives nor dredges can be used in fossicking. Power-operated equipment cannot be used on land or in waters for surface disturbance, excavation or processing. Power operated equipment includes mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, battery and electrical equipment or machinery.

Source: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/as.../A-Guide-to-Fossicking-in-New-South-Wales.PDF

ps..: In Switzerland we do "gravity dredging". Maybe that would be suitable? :)

Like a long hose with a good diameter that feeds the Sluice or the Highbanker with water in a suitable terrain.

1579088110_thbuiyypi.jpg

But

1579087976_oip_1.jpg

LoneWolf said:
That's why I carry a copy of the Fossicking act in my glove box... Any arguments can be clarified very quickly...

I only carry the Fossicking act as that is what im doing... Fossicking Sir... :D

LW....

That reminds me of Kevin Bloody Wilson and the pet mudcrab. Have you heard that one?

General_Hawkins said:
ps..: In Switzerland we do "gravity dredging". Maybe that would be suitable? :)

Like a long hose with a good diameter that feeds the Sluice or the Highbanker with water in a suitable terrain.
Can't use that In QLD.. I've already tried that one. 8.(

Digger58 said:
Wouldn't it be cool if there was a national set of rules and regs for everything rather than having to check all the different states.
Excellent idea BUT...those states with pretty liberal rules and freedoms will be lowered to the level of the state with the tightest draconian rules, not the other way around unfortunately.

Digger58 said:
LoneWolf said:

LW....

That reminds me of Kevin Bloody Wilson and the pet mudcrab. Have you heard that one?

No I haven't... please explain... :)

LW....

madtuna said:
Digger58 said:
Wouldn't it be cool if there was a national set of rules and regs for everything rather than having to check all the different states.
Excellent idea BUT...those states with pretty liberal rules and freedoms will be lowered to the level of the state with the tightest draconian rules, not the other way around unfortunately.
Totally agreed, for the love of gold us Southerners dont need to give the powers that be a reason to change.
Of course your all welcome to visit any time.

madtuna said:
Digger58 said:

Maybe, but we'll never know.