Qld State Forests.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger58

Peter Diggins
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have recently found out that there is no fossicking allowed in state forests, well, in Qld anyway that I know of.

Why?

Is it because of rsoles leaving their rubbish in the forests, and/or leaving open holes?

It is so strange when I can take my bike in all the forests and tear around digging the tracks up and scaring animals and people and causing noise pollution, but can't fossick. WTF (Why's That Fossickers).

:) :) :)

Digger58 said:
Hi all,
I have recently found out that there is no fossicking allowed in state forests, well, in Qld anyway that I know of.

Why?

Is it because of rsoles leaving their rubbish in the forests, and/or leaving open holes?

It is so strange when I can take my bike in all the forests and tear around digging the tracks up and scaring animals and people and causing noise pollution, but can't fossick. WTF (Why's That Fossickers).

RR wrote;
Closed because of the fires.
Check forestry web site in your state for more information.

Hi digger58 same thing is happening with the PM"s with the meet up at gympie, green river sent me a message they are getting every thing as well, might have to put it in member meet up,is the meet up point at the victoria street gate :beer:

sand surfer said:
Hi digger58 same thing is happening with the PM"s with the meet up at gympie, green river sent me a message they are getting every thing as well, might have to put it in member meet up,is the meet up point at the victoria street gate :beer:
Me to...Don't know why I'm getting them :lol: :lol: :beer: :beer:

RockRat said:
Digger58 said:
Hi all,

Why?

RR wrote;

Nothing to do with fires in Queensland Rock Rat. What Digger58 is talking about is the law all year around.

I have no answer to your question Digger58. I just know that it sucks and the few areas we are allowed into in State Forests are constantly under threat as well. Cattle grazing leaseholders have the right of veto even in the so called "General Permission Areas" and the grazier in one of the larger areas at Clermont exercised his power and had fossicking closed down in Bottom Apsley State Forest 2 years ago. As you say though motor bike riding is still allowed in there and other activities, just not fossicking. It bewilders me that Qld thinks it is an attractive place for tourism, but is so closed down to fossicking tourists. :mad:

Troutman, maybe graziers are sick to death of rubbish being left by prospectors, gates being left open, illegal camping on leases not to mention holes being left unfilled.

I wouldn't be a happy camper if I was a leaseholder who had to contend with this aspect of allowing detectorists on the leases.

Always someone spoiling it for others who do the right thing.

GR

Troutman said:
RockRat said:
Digger58 said:
Hi all,

Why?

RR wrote;

Nothing to do with fires in Queensland Rock Rat. What Digger58 is talking about is the law all year around.

I have no answer to your question Digger58. I just know that it sucks and the few areas we are allowed into

in State Forests are constantly under threat as well. Cattle grazing leaseholders have the right of veto even in the so called "General Permission Areas" and the grazier in one of the larger areas at Clermont exercised his power and had fossicking closed down in Bottom Apsley State Forest 2 years ago. As you say though motor bike riding is still allowed in there and other activities, just not fossicking. It bewilders me that Qld thinks it is an attractive place for tourism, but is so closed down to fossicking tourists. :mad:

thanks for clarification tm, queensland like some other states kicks the guts out of the little guy. back in 95 they confiscated all of our equipment (QLD) https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5460&p=4 we won in the end. Seems okay here in nsw for fossickers. :Y:

That's Why I do ALL My Fossicking in NSW... Everywhere is/has been flogged, Not Allowed to Fossick or you just can't find Goodies like in NSW... :)

LW...

GreenRiver said:
Troutman, maybe graziers are sick to death of rubbish being left by prospectors, gates being left open, illegal camping on leases not to mention holes being left unfilled.

I wouldn't be a happy camper if I was a leaseholder who had to contend with this aspect of allowing detectorists on the leases.

GR

Are you suggesting GreenRiver the following:-

That detectorists are the exclusive source of rubbish in state forests?
That only prospectors leave gates open?
That horse riders, motorbike riders, 4 Wheel Drivers and hikers have never camped illegally in a Qld State Forest?

All of these activities can still occur in Qld State Forests whether or not a grazing leaseholder likes it or not!!! Only prospectors can be stopped by a decision made by a grazing leaseholder.

In the past 3 years we have detected in Qld, NSW and Victorian State Forests. We have seen tonnes of rubbish dumped and other bad behaviours.
I ask you though how many detectorists load up their vehicle with old fridges, car bodies, garden furniture, bed frames and old potted plants to take with them so they can dump it into old mine shafts and generally around in the bush? (Hint: I think you look at local yobs who live somewhere nearby).

Not many prospectors I know drive around the bush at high speed smashing their car/motorbikes into trees and branches, breaking off indicator light stems, brake handles, headlight lenses etc. in the process and leave these items behind for me to find.

How many detectorists take a trailer and chainsaws with them and saw up several cubic metres of logs into firewood while consuming six packs of beers and/or pre-mixed spirits and coke? Evidence: the empty cans and bottles are left behind with the piles of chainsaw dust and unwanted branch material. (Hint look at locals living nearby the forest with a ute/trailer and wood heating stove).

How many prospectors take firearms with them and shoot off a complete box of ammunition while standing in the one spot? I've found 50 or more empty shells of the same calibre in a 2 metre square area.

I am not happy with your slur on prospectors. I would not be happy if I was a leaseholder in a State Forest and any of these things happened either, but I wouldn't blame just one tiny part of the forest using population without facts and evidence that they firstly were the culprits and secondly that they are the ONLY culprits.

Troutman said:
GreenRiver said:

GR

That horse riders, motorbike riders, 4 Wheel Drivers and hikers have never camped illegally in a Qld State Forest?

All of these activities can still occur in Qld State Forests whether or not a grazing leaseholder likes it or not!!! Only prospectors can be stopped by a decision made by a grazing leaseholder.

In the past 3 years we have detected in Qld, NSW and Victorian State Forests. We have seen tonnes of rubbish dumped and other bad behaviours.
I ask you though how many detectorists load up their vehicle with old fridges, car bodies, garden furniture, bed frames and old potted plants to take with them so they can dump it into old mine shafts and generally around in the bush? (Hint: I think you look at local yobs who live somewhere nearby).

Not many prospectors I know drive around the bush at high speed smashing their car/motorbikes into trees and branches, breaking off indicator light stems, brake handles, headlight lenses etc. in the process and leave these items behind for me to find.

How many detectorists take a trailer and chainsaws with them and saw up several cubic metres of logs into firewood while consuming six packs of beers and/or pre-mixed spirits and coke? Evidence: the empty cans and bottles are left behind with the piles of chainsaw dust and unwanted branch material. (Hint look at locals living nearby the forest with a ute/trailer and wood heating stove).

How many prospectors take firearms with them and shoot off a complete box of ammunition while standing in the one spot? I've found 50 or more empty shells of the same calibre in a 2 metre square area.

I am not happy with your slur on prospectors. I would not be happy if I was a leaseholder in a State Forest and any of these things happened either, but I wouldn't blame just one tiny part of the forest using population without facts and evidence that they firstly were the culprits and secondly that they are the ONLY culprits.
how many prospectors take firearms dozens do we waited on our lease for them to stop shooting before we kicked them off
how many leave rubbish behind lots and camp fires still going gates left open
get off your high horse lots of people hunters 4x4s campers and prospectors leave rubbish and do the wrong thing

savage bitter said:
Troutman said:
GreenRiver said:

GR

how many prospectors take firearms dozens do we waited on our lease for them to stop shooting before we kicked them off
get off your high horse lots of people hunters 4x4s campers and prospectors leave rubbish and do the wrong thing

You seem to have missed the main point here Savage Bitter.

Do you really think that it is being "high horsed" to suggest that it is unfair to exclude ONLY prospectors for doing these wrong things while some members of all the other groups you admit yourself are involved remain untouched? If people are doing the wrong thing for sure do something about them individually, but don't pick on one group and ignore all others.

This is what I was referring to. Qld law allows a grazier leaseholder to shut down a State Forest with a declared General Permission Area (GPA) to prospectors, but all other groups can still go about their business in the same State Forest.

Troutman said:
savage bitter said:
Troutman said:
GreenRiver said:

GR

You seem to have missed the main point here Savage Bitter.

Do you really think that it is being "high horsed" to suggest that it is unfair to exclude ONLY prospectors for doing these wrong things while some members of all the other groups you admit yourself are involved remain untouched? If people are doing the wrong thing for sure do something about them individually, but don't pick on one group and ignore all others.

This is what I was referring to. Qld law allows a grazier leaseholder to shut down a State Forest with a declared General Permission Area (GPA) to prospectors, but all other groups can still go about their business in the same State Forest.
you have to remember property owners and lease holders the mines or miners which includes prospectors are hated by farmers my grandfather would dis own me for letting someone to prospect on any of our places and to be honest take a trip to warwick gpa the rubbish you find there is from prospectors old batterys cans etc

Good points all Troutman.

I don't actually think GR was blaming detectorists alone, but mentioning why farmers and other groups close areas. I like how you put everything Troutman, to really define the issue. It is another stupid rule that doesn't make sense to me.

I wonder if Smoky and sand surfer are correct. Why? Because I watch 4wd and bike videos and the damage they do to tracks and bush areas is beyond belief yet they continue to be allowed in Parks and forests. I even watched a vid where the guy blew his CV Joint and axle and they did a repair job on-site letting oil dribble all over the ground with one clown saying something like "take that Greenies."

Braindead and stuffing it up for others.

Cheers. :Y: :)

G'day

Not allowed to fossick in state forrests here in WA either, wanted to detect for coins and stuff around old camp sites and so on, but after being told that its illegal to do and then looked into getting a permit as an individual ( because clubs only can get permits apparently) and so in the end I gave the idea away as its far too hard, but like other places any dropkick can set up a camp and leave it like the town tip when they go, ride horses, trail bikes, quads and so on and get away with it, you have to wonder what planet the people who make these decisions are from as they have no idea apparently who is doing the most damage.

As far as shooting goes, I have had several incidences in goldfields areas where rounds have gone past while detecting and also one time right over our heads while we were sitting by the fire, neither time was it people out there prospecting that were doing the shooting but dropkicks from some local town shooting the shite out of anything that was moving, when approached they were oblivious to the fact that there were people in the area and for that matter didn't care anyway, sporting shooters are dangerous and far more a problem as what they do can injure or kill someone hundreds of yards away and not know it, the majority of people detecting do little or no damage, many carry guns but rarely use them, but there are always the odd few a-holes that will leave a mess anywhere they go, and its those types that are the ones that have caused most of the issues, unfortunately its the rest of us that end up paying for it

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts