Goldchaser1 videos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations a brilliant awesome 5 min piece.

Tourism mob should take notice of that, teach em how it should be done :Y:

top find....there would be a big old fire place somewhere I would guess....used to burn off sulphides....tellurides in the mile.

Very interesting, thanks for the vid :)

Subbed for your videos, going through them now :)

Goldtalk Leonora said:
top find....there would be a big old fire place somewhere I would guess....used to burn off sulphides....tellurides in the mile.

I think the charcoals washed away over the years tony,i havent noticed any obvious spots where a fire was,id like to know the rough age of it,i cant put a number on it,gotta be between 1930-60s and no later i think?
Thanks fellas its another insight into the seedy side of mining.
Goldtrapper i dont think ill ever make the cut as a hollywood director sadly :D

Awesome stuff @Goldchaser1 .
Hope we get to see what comes out of it.:)
It's amongst a pic in the finds section SL,12-15oz came off it,there was quite a few specis with fine gold through them including 2 off the reef that were 5kg each,they weren't that rich as id hoped though,we did find quite a few other spots,intrepid explorers we are 😂

The old timers had been around this area testing a few spots Wal,it was only 2ks from a known area but ya couldn't get a car nearby.Quad or walk.
There was a small gum tree next to the patch,an old timer was there,he didn't test that area which i thought was odd,the only rubbish on the hill was this,remains of a set of horse hobbles,leather is long gone of course,there cool though....098D91BE-7143-4445-AEF9-1D77B9451BC1.jpeg

Pity you dont fill in your holes
I will let Dave answer but probably best not to make assumptions?

A couple of other assumptions could be:
- Holes with gold are left open by some in order to see/track the pattern of gold. They are then filled in afterwards.
- Leaseholders, unlike hobbyist prospectors/fossickers, aren't obligated to fill in holes straight away as reclamation of land just needs to be done prior to lease end.

Perhaps you don't understand how to properly work a patch in virgin ground, when it's obvious from the nature of the nuggets that they haven't been transported far from source? Did you not also wonder why Dave's partner was going from scrape to scrape showing that there were still targets in the ground and that there were no chain marks evident anywhere?

They're using the scrapes and holes as markers to show them the shape of the nugget spread, so that they can work their way upslope and hopefully locate the reef that fed the patch. Next, they'll be chaining and gridding the whole area to ensure that nothing is missed, after which deeper holes will be refilled. It's the Pilbara, so minor scrapes and chain marks will vanish in the wet season.

My two bobs worth,
They do exactly what I do when we find a patch. We leave all the holes open and Liz double checks them all including the perimeters of the holes with her SDC. We would work a patch of that size for several days with the holes open and then fill them in once we are about to leave, as we would run a couple of different size coils over gold of that size looking for deeper targets.

When we do fill them in it is in such a way nobody would ever know we were there, as it is these types of patches we would like to revisit on future trips. The best way to give away your patch is to leave holes unfilled, and it would only be a fool who would do that on a patch so productive.

Last edited:
Thanks mbasko,grubstake and Wal,yep when there coming thick and fast we usually leave them open it's easier to follow the the pattern or runs,when the spot starts to slow down then fill them in as ya walking about,and as Wal says,if you leave them open on a good spot you might as well put a sign on a tree "gold here",we take extra care filling in at spots like that...,

Latest posts