Has anyone found a 1930 Penny?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon that's the condition that the 1930 still in the ground with my name on it will be in! Or it'll have been shot or flattened on the train tracks. Still really awesome if it actually is one, I like the challenge of working out the dates on thoroughly wrecked coins.

It is completely toasted :( but I dont think its a 39. The zero goes beyond the top part of the three. It is slightly easier to see in real life. I know its unlikely but I do think its a 1930.

Only problem is all 1930 pennies have been accounted for
Charlesdance said:
It is completely toasted :( but I dont think its a 39. The zero goes beyond the top part of the three. It is slightly easier to see in real life. I know its unlikely but I do think its a 1930.

flyrodder said:
Charlesdance said:

You have me confused. How are they ALL accounted for?

My mind says if a million are made are those million in people's pockets? Surely there are ones that have been dropped and lost, so how do you account for them?

Flyrodder an explanation would be great. :) :Y:

Read an artical a while back saying about the 1930 penny and most others found are usually forgeries i will try n trace the artical n post it
Digger58 said:
flyrodder said:
Charlesdance said:

You have me confused. How are they ALL accounted for?

My mind says if a million are made are those million in people's pockets? Surely there are ones that have been dropped and lost, so how do you account for them?

Flyrodder an explanation would be great. :) :Y:

Not convinced about all of them found.

As best as I can recall the total numbers for 1930 were never recorded for general circulation and numbers printed are best guess and not definitive.

Now if someone recently discovered the mint docs then Im open to the idea.

Proofs more likely are accounted for but I think there may have been some conjecture around this when a couple (literally 2) were found to be genuine from a seperate mintage that had some differences raising the possibilty they were stamped at an independent time or place with differing die.

All of this came from an article written many years ago referencing an expert in Australia, shouldnt be too hard to find that article. Ill go have a search and see if I can locate it.

If there is information to the contrary Im happy to concede.

Thanks so much for the responses. Im going to look into the imaging. Im in less of a rush now that I have zero expectations of it being worth anything but Ill definitely post back when I find out more.

One of my most interesting finds was a 1935 NZ 3d in perfect condition at a racecourse in NZ. It must have been brand new when lost. An American in New York bought it for $120 back then.
If silver is lost when new it is unlikely to deteriorate. It is only well handled silver that loses its' luster.

Another good find without a detector was a NZ 1956 Strapless Penny still with a lot of mint lustre on it. It was in a jar of pennies someone gave me. I got over $100 for that at the time too.

G'day

From what I have read there is still some confusion as to how many 1930 pennies were actually minted in the first place, and also that there were two varieties of the pennies that were minted from two separate dies, so if that is right then its not correct to say that all of the 1930 pennies have been accounted for?, anyway its nice to live in hope of finding one all the same.

https://australiapostcollectables.com.au/articles/the-famous-australian-1930-penny

cheers

stayyerAU

Not an Aussie 1930 Penny, but a 1930 Penny none the less, sent to me from Miss Goody because of this thread.
Thankyou again Miss Goody2shoes.

1581223730_64ff9683-b8ab-4c85-b7bd-d05e70303f40.jpg

1581223750_411d7c10-eecd-4c78-91c5-df535df093e5.jpg

You do know that all 1930 pennies were vaulted as there were no coins struck that year due to lll health . When QE 'll was appointed they never went into circulation . Thus is why nobody has ever seen one . Downies and Mac mint do auctions all the time and my years of collecting I have never seen one or seen one co.e up for auction plenty of holy dollars but never the elusive 1930 penny.

1633077856__20181014_095505.jpg

You do know that all 1930 pennies were vaulted as there were no coins struck that year due to lll health . When QE 'll was appointed they never went into circulation . Thus is why nobody has ever seen one . Downies and Mac mint do auctions all the time and my years of collecting I have never seen one or seen one co.e up for auction plenty of holy dollars but never the elusive 1930 penny.

1633077856__20181014_095505.jpg

Sden1835 said:

Mate, Downies have got two in stock at present!
https://www.downies.com/1930-penny-...rYCoKJRoCwkwQAvD_BwE#product.info.description

Downies have got an interesting blog entry about the coin, The 1930 Penny - Australia's Most Famous Rarity, which among other things states:
1633082879_1930_penny.jpg

You can read more here:
https://www.downies.com/news/1930-penny-famous-rare-australian-coin/

If you go to a capital city coin show, some of the dealers will usually have them for sale on their stands. I think I saw three examples at the last show I went to here in Perth.

Latest posts