Quad bike

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like your vehicle, ground clearance is more important than 4x4. A 2wd will get you most places bar sand areas.
4x4 on quads generally is not so much needed in sand areas only mud.
In WA most likely you'll be on pastoral leases, and if you're driving or riding about in mud all you'll do is p!ss off the pastoralist.

4WD all the way.
You need to consider what the terrain is, when the ground gets hard and you need to go up inclines and the ground is covered in pebble type gravel you wont have traction.
Also if you want to go up and down creeks through water and over moss/slime covered rocks.
I had 2x 2wd quads and my thought was on relatively flat terrain you wont need 4wd, rude awakening, there fine if you are just using them on a flat farm etc.
And dont go under 400cc
I also found the Automatic transmission models rev louder when trolling along spotlighting, with manuals you can throw them in 2nd or 3rd gear and idle along.

we use both a lot depends on how you ride we have desert country and flat ground flood ground hills rocky areas your skill level plays a big part if you only ride every know and then I would go 4x4 and as above go a 400cc or above 250cc are a bit light for a adult male good for smaller built people

Thanks for replys and advice. No not going with a drag coil, and definitely not into driving wet tracks ect. Thinking that 2wd would do most in most situations going on my wanderings about the southern goldfields but leaning towards a 4wd as looking at trip up about the Kimberleys. Decoy, some good points you made. Thinking a Suzuki king Quad would be a good unit.

I had a older model early 2000 King Quad manual I think it was a 350cc, they where good bikes.
Dam that pic was about 15-20 years ago of the wife and I along the Turon River near Sofala..
Look at that water...

1579749659_39332_1548581472764_110230_n.jpg

I'd recommend 4WD, like a car you will spend most of your time in 2WD but you'll be glad you have the option when you need it, up in the kimberley you will encounter rocks ,rocks and more rocks of all sizes, sandy creek beds, serious creek banks and even big spinifex clumps can be hard going.
Take lots of tyre plugs and a compressor or fit 8 ply tyres to reduce punctures and still take the plugs and compressor.
Have fun, it's awsome country.

cheers gaff

Latest posts