Fossicking tours around Rubyvale?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day everyone. I'm heading up to Rubyvale in late April, early May to try my luck fossicking for gemstones. I usually chase the gold, so this is all totally new to me.

I've done the usual google, forum research etc.

I was thinking that perhaps a good way to learn would be to spend a couple of days on a tag along type tour before venturing out on my own.

I'm keen to get some thoughts on whether this would be the best way to go & if so are there any particular tours that you would recommend?

Alternatively is there a better way to quickly get up to speed in a practical way?

Best regards

Bullwinkle

We have a few Members that have leases up there, perhaps send them a PM and they may sort you out... Gilly47 has one and lives up there now..

Where are you located as you may have something in some creeks near you that you can practice with...

LW...

Thanks LoneWolf, I will PM Gilly47.

I'm based in Bendigo Vic. I'm a member of the local Gem Club so will have a chat to some of the members about fossicking for gems locally. I also do a lot of detecting in the Whipstick & GT.

My trip to QLD will be for about 12 weeks. I'm going to spend a few weeks in the Central Gemfields & then head up to O'briens Ck/Mt Surprise chasing topaz. I might even have a detect around Clermont & Forsayth.

I just love the cultural experience of getting out in the bush & meeting great people. Fossicking for gems in some ways is just another reason for getting out in the scrub.

I also have a bit of a family colection around Rubyvale as my Great Grandfather was a sapphire miner up there in the 60s & 70s.

Btw - has everyone seen the Tomahawk Tiger?

1579498277_tomahawk_tiger.jpg

Pure sapphire and RARE. Have held this in my hand along with a couple of others.

Pat Hogen said:
Btw - has everyone seen the Tomahawk Tiger?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11720/1579498277_tomahawk_tiger.jpg

Pure sapphire and RARE. Have held this in my hand along with a couple of others.

I've held the Tiger also, many years ago.

Back in 1990, I helped with the security in the hall at Gemfest and actually held the Centenary Stone when the display cabinet caught fire. That experience motivated me to dig like a man possessed for a week or two - there has to be a bigger one out there somewhere.

Latest posts