Fluorescent Finds from the Field

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, figure I'll start a thread for everyone to show off their finds. No rock too dirty or mineral too ugly! I'll kick off with a super common mineral which gets overlooked and tends not to make it into a lot of displays, andalusite.

1579576916_vh.jpg

It can (not always though) give a reasonably bright greenish yellow fluorescence under shortwave UV (longwave torches won't get it going unfortunately). Sometimes the andalusite is altered to clays and mica and it won't fluoresce either. Andalusite can be a major component of metasedimentary rocks so it's pretty easy to find, this hand specimen is from Victor Harbor SA. I've collected andalusite schists from the Vic high country that go pretty hard as well. No idea why it doesn't get talked about more.

In My Display, I made a Cave. I made a Wooden Box and used Spray Foam to create the Cave.. I made the smaller Caves using Newspaper wrapped in Glad Wrap.. That stops the Spray Foam from sticking to the Newspaper. I then removed them after the Foam had dried. Then I painted it Flat Black with Fluro Linemarking Paints for 'Spacey' Highlights.(only visible under UV or Black Light).. Came out Ok for a first effort..

My next Cave is going to be Larger, made out of a corner TV unit so I can use a Homemade UV Light...
I only have a 'Black Light' Torch at the moment but have found a few Minerals that 'Glow' using this Torch..

Also My photo skills need a lot of Work.. :rolleyes:

The Cave...
1579611010_phpyzlvg_thisjam.jpg

Mangano-Calcite... Under Black Light Torch.. Can't wait to see it under UV..
1579611287_20200113_this195921.jpg

LW...

Once I show Kate this thread pretty sure I'll be hearing hints about these UV lights :lol: as a matter of fact I know I will. So I'm with you sand surfer, a few build photos will be a good reference. The cave looks good LW :perfect: the stones look fantastic too :beer:

Latest posts