panning and detecting central qld

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougiehk

Douglas Petrie
Reaction score
hi all
im fairly new to prospecting and live in Gladstone, cental qld,,, i have been out driving with family and seen alot of small dry creek beds, spillways and channels some that look promising around areas of calliope, mt larcom, boyne valley, monto and further west from koombrit tops not as far as bilo though, i suppose my question to all that may have done prospecting in these areas is..1.what are rules relating to channels, spillways that appear to be side of roads( maybe public land with no defining private property lines) are we able to prospect such areas with relative licences 2. has there been any gold nugget finds reported in such areas or is it all been fine gold( obtained by panning) would love some help with a good starting point if anyone wanted to share some advice :) :Y: also if anyone has any links to history of gold in the areas listed maybe some old mining maps would help fellow family prospector
happy prospecting all :goldpan: :goldnugget: :Y: hope to hear from you all soon

Hi Dougie, I see it's been a few days and no-one has helped you. I'm a newbie too and know bugger all at the moment, but what I can tell you is to research as much as possible. It doesn't seem you can get a lot of info from anyone on this forum except telling you to research, which is what people do anyway, and one form of research is to ask.

So the best I can do for you is tell you to just type in a place name and see what that brings up. Then add the word gold to the place name which may bring more info up.

Type in Queensland gold, and just keep following links.

Research for other web sites and forums and anything else you may see. there are many data places you will stumble on with information overload. Try Trove.

This site has a massive amount of info on it but you need to spend time going through it. I think you need to be an active participant with ten or more posts before doing some things PM private messaging. Also, pay the $20 to be a paid-up member that goes to keep this site going. I believe the money goes to the owner and running costs. The moderators I believe are doing this at their own free will and goodness of community attitude. If you get stuck best to ask a mod for help maybe. That $20 is very cheap as far as I am concerned as it helps you enormously to access maps and such.

That's about all I can tell you. If you can find another person to buddy up with, then that will be a good learning curve as they may have years of experience and may want some company.

Good luck Dougie, sorry I couldn't be more helpful. :) :Y:

Dougiehk.. welcome to the site. Great bunch of folk here who are very helpful but no one is going to actually go out and pan your gold for you.

My tips as a newcomer...add some information in the "Introduce Yourself" section and then read, read, read as much information on here by using the "search' function.....keep reading until your brain is about to explode...then read some more!

Get 10 posts up and even more reading opens up for you, and your brain will turn into mush...that's normal!

Also do your research regarding a miner's right and streams/rivers/creeks where you aren't allowed to prospect (I'm in Vic so it's probably different up there) ... and all this information will either be on here or just "Google" it.

Most importantly, just go out with the family for a picnic in a spot you fancy, PLAY and enjoy the beautiful countryside, meet other like-minded souls on your journey and remember the gold is an added bonus.

Cheers Annie :)

There's some good advice from Annie and bicter, you're on ya way mate.

Annie said what I forgot, to make sure you do everything legally, and don't be an arse trespassing, or anything else because it blows back on others.

If you want a laugh then ask about "secret spots" as so many take it seriously, thinking you are really expecting people to reveal their secret spot lol.

Good luck. :) :Y:

This map should give you a little idea of old gold mines in your area.

1579666382_screenshot_20200122-121111-600x800.jpg

Each blue flag is an old gold mine. I think I got this file on Qld from one of the gold forums.

Cheers

Doug

dougiehk said:
hi all
im fairly new to prospecting and live in Gladstone, cental qld,,, i have been out driving with family and seen alot of small dry creek beds, spillways and channels some that look promising around areas of calliope, mt larcom, boyne valley, monto and further west from koombrit tops not as far as bilo though, i suppose my question to all that may have done prospecting in these areas is..1.what are rules relating to channels, spillways that appear to be side of roads( maybe public land with no defining private property lines) are we able to prospect such areas with relative licences 2. has there been any gold nugget finds reported in such areas or is it all been fine gold( obtained by panning) would love some help with a good starting point if anyone wanted to share some advice :) :Y: also if anyone has any links to history of gold in the areas listed maybe some old mining maps would help fellow family prospector
happy prospecting all :goldpan: :goldnugget: :Y: hope to hear from you all soon

Hi Dougiehk,

I hate to be the party pooper here, but nobody has answered one of your central questions yet.

1. Where can you look and what are the rules?
Answer: Firstly you need a QLD "Fossicking Licence" which must be renewed each year. Look up Qld Govt website and you'll find the online application and payment options.

Unfortunately in QLD the answer to where you can use this licence is really pretty quick and easy. You are not allowed on any public/government/state owned land to 'Fossick" for gold unless it is a designated "General Permission Area" (GPA). Roadsides, unfenced creeks, culverts, under bridges etc are not GPAs.

The nearest GPAs to you are at Clermont. Search Clermont online or on this site for many details and opinions.

You are allowed to "Fossick" on QLD private land with written permission from the land owner so long as it isn't also a mining lease. Your Fossicking Licence contains a section on the back where land owners can sign it to say they give such permission.

Clermont is a dry place most of the year so using a detector is the usual option. If you wished to pan you would have to be prepared to carry water to the dry creek beds or dig dirt out of the dry creek bed and take that to a water source. There are restrictions on how much dirt you can dig and transport, read your newly acquired "Fossicking Licence" for details.

2. The answer to the second question is that there has certainly been gold found in the areas you outlined around Gladstone. The only gold bearing land you have legal access to in that area is privately owned. If you can find a private landholder who will let you on their land good luck to you. It is unlikely anybody who does have such permission is going to share that information with you or anyone else on a public forum like this. :goldnugget: :goldpan: :pickshovel:

Latest posts