Coin identification

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive posted this on another forum but it might be better placed here.

My husband and I think weve found a 1930 penny.

We are very new to prospecting and were happy to find a coin. When we looked up the date we realise the potential significance. Its in pretty bad condition as you will see. What do you think?

1579573124_img_0142.jpg

It may well be and thats certainly the more likely scenario. Im still not sure though. We read the date as 1930 before knowing the significance and when I compare it to photos of 1930 and 1939 coins I think its closer to 1930. Obviously Im probably very biased / optimistic.

1579577118_img_0144.jpg

:lol:

I thought the last pic was clearer. IRL its clear its not a 6. The top part is much clearer than the bottom which is more eroded. Do you think anyone would be able to figure it out in terms of valuation or is it a bit pointless.

Wouldn't value it at any price to be honest, as rare as a 1930 is condition is everything.. I know we have a forum member with a poor condition 1923 half penny if I recall right but it is clearly readable and identifiable and has monetary value to the right buyer. Cheers GDA

I think the point of determining it without any doubt has long passed.

In the end there is 3 options.

Its not a 1930, in which case its one of the others, 1931 to 36.

Its a fake 1930 taking into account this is perhaps the most forged Aussie coin that ever made circulation.

Its a legitimate 1930 but the condition is so poor its value is about its weight in copper scrap value to a coin collection. This being said it becomes a conversation piece. If so it really is a rare find, but not a valuable one in this case.

Im not convinced it could even be saved to even begin to attempt to figure out if it is indeed another long forgotten 1930.

A bloke I worked with claimed to have one, showed me an Australian accreditation on its value, which a few years back was around 28k. Which is awesome if you stumbled upon one in good nick.

Thanks for putting it up to discuss though :Y:

ChrisD said:
indi said:
Iam sorry not meant to be a kill joy but think its a 39 but would be just before the roo was introduced

I dont think there is a 1939 Commonwealth Penny.
Even rarer than the 1930 mate. :lol:
Yes your right.only in half penny.Or roo.

Latest posts