seperating brass and lead from 10mm grey gravel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jethro said:
I think that you guys are onto a winner if you can come up with a plant to do this economically. I think lead contamination will become a big issue with the shooting sports here in Australia. California in the US has some of the most stringent laws in the world regarding the use of lead in ammunition. They even have a ban on lead in hunting rifles in some areas. The ammunition companys have come up with non lead rounds to satisfy EPA in california.
As a past member of field and game Vic I know how much lead gets set down range at a typical monthly shoot. A 75 target comp sees me get through about 5 boxes of 25 shells at 28grams of lead per shell. not to mention the plastic wads that get shot away as well.
If someone can put together a range cleaning machine that is able to process the top 5 inches of ground for lead and then replace and reseed the soil without causing errosion they will be on a good thing. :)

There is a machine for cleaning shotgun ranges, it's called "The Green Machine".

I think Retirement Stone might be able to help.... :lol:

1575934677_img_20191204_071007775_hdr.jpg

The golden rule is to classify before separating . This will help you separate the different materials . So it would be best to screen the material to different sizes , don't suck in the dust ! Lets say you screen out to minus 6 m.m. and the rest 6 - 12 m.m. Put the minus 6 down a long Ton or sluice . The lead will stick at the top and the brass will get carried away . A trailer with a 1,000 lt. cube should do the job , if you recycle the water . You could look at jigging . The lead will quickly sink to the bottom in a column jig.

tumble it in a small cement mixer full of water, basically use it like a tromell, keep shovelling the blue metal mix in the led will settle at the bottom and excess blue metal and brass will fall out over the lip of the mixer.

You will still be left with mostly lead and jacketed projectiles with brass and a bit of blue metal and maybe dirt.

let it fully dry before melting it, if you drop a scoop in and it has moisture/water it will splatter spray the molten lead.

The brass, copper, dirt and blue metal remaining will float on top of the lead and you can scoop it with a ladle with holes drilled in it.

id just run it over a shaker with 2mm screen, if the dirt is clumpy first run it through a cement mixer. do it dry

Latest posts