Prospecting belt.. a balancing act.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1512393945_belt3.jpg
The first time I went prospecting I was 17 years old. A Garrett A2B Groundhog swinging in one hand and a pick slung over my shoulder. No headphones . no water, no GPS, no 5w uhf handheld, very basic but still fun.. Today I wear proper boots, long trousers, my basic kit includes first aid for snake bite, mobile phone, GPS, Uhf 5w radio etc etc. A lot of stuff that won't fit in my pockets or jacket. The pick over the shoulder is a distraction, I focus better with it out of the way.. the need to manage my gear in an effective manner dictated the evolution of the prospecting belt. A heavy leather belt with some simple modifications solved my problems. Basically a molle compatible 'battle belt' combined with a webbing harness added to carry the load. I can add one or two old army canteens to increase the amount of water carried depending on location, weather and time of year. I was a lousy soldier once, but they did manage to teach me a few things. Balancing the load was one thing.
My pick on one side and everything else balancing on the other end and rear. So far so good.

I often detect within sight of the car and tell myself, it is a good idea. If for no other reason than to stop me having to go back to the car for things. Carry the necessary gear and get more swing time in. I'm autonomous for hours on end and can wander further out and focus more on prospecting. I just start the day by marking the cars location on the GPS and I'm free to wander off. The belt is a bit heavy duty but that helps in making it very comfortable. Doesn't matter if I'm using my White's Tdi or a MXT, the belt is now part of the kit when I venture out into the bush. I've used this setup for a few outings, sometimes I feel I have overdone it, but it is proving practical and functional. It continues to evolve slowly, I sometimes remodel the harness and belt for photography in the bush etc.

1512393453_belt1.jpg

1512393472_belt2.jpg
1512393496_belt6.jpg

I like the versatility of the rig and trying to discipline myself in that only what is necessary is carried. The images show the basic prospecting configuration.
1512393841_belt5.jpg

Time will tell if I'm on the right track since it is early days.

All the best,
Karelian

Will have to try that out myself :Y:

Finds pouch placement may become critical, the theory comes unbalanced when you find a 16oz nugget ?

Guess you can drop your pack and run through the hills like a madman ..... would be happy with that too :D :lol: :D

Wally69 said:
Will have to try that out myself :Y:

Finds pouch placement may become critical, the theory comes unbalanced when you find a 16oz nugget ?

Guess you can drop your pack and run through the hills like a madman ..... would be happy with that too :D :lol: :D

Why only 16oz's? Doesn't sound very ambitious to me :lol:

I was asked why the snake bite first aid kit was so large? I figure it is just the right size to get the job done. Contains everything required to treat a snake bite, made in Australia meeting required standards. Probably the best bang for buck, although I've got extra 'large' bandages to complement this kit as well as more for home and car.. Not in the business of selling these but I know what I like..
1512615710_snake2.jpg

Please take note that you get two bandages in the kit, I've bought the same brand 'larger' bandage as an extra since the little buggers sometimes get more than one bite in..
1512615933_snake3.jpg

If I'm going to carry a snake bite kit then I'm going to make sure it is up to the job.. no room for shortcuts.

Padded molle part is called a 'battle belt', cost $24 on fleabay from local Australian supplier. Wide variety available just search for 'battle belt', 'tactical belt' or 'molle battle belt', should get lots of hits on ebay.
All the best.
Karelian

Thanks Karelian. I had a look on Ebay before I posted the question, but the battle belts all appeared to be "closed tubes" if that makes sense. I was wondering how you would attach things that threaded directly onto the belt, like the leather pick holder. Or did you cut some openings in it?

Many different designs but I'll include a few photographs to better show how the leather pick holder is on the leather belt but the molle battle belt opens up. Most are designed to allow non molle holsters to be fitted to the belt, works for my pick holder also. If you google Condor 2 Battle Belt, there are videos online which much better outline how these work. Just one example.

1513569039_belt1.jpg
1513569057_belt2.jpg
1513569078_belt3.jpg

This is just one design of many, some have an opening every few molle loops to allow a belt to be threaded in and out so to allow traditional belt attachments.

All the best,
Karelian

Thanks Karelian, I've ordered one of the $25 jobs off Ebay.

If it doesn't work with my gear I can always just use it for something else.

Cheers,
John

2019 upgrade, just better quality belt and harness. This model allows leather belt to be threaded in and out between molle panels, harness has a water bladder on the back and better padding etc. Set up still well under a hundred dollars. Karelian.
1570244974_img_1434_belt1.jpg
1570244989_img_1435_editedbelt2.jpg
1570245003_img_1427_editedbelt3.jpg
1570245020_img_1430_editedbelt5.jpg

Latest posts