Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the simple little light one same as Redfin. It came with my 4500 and does the job well.

I find that non-GME speakers provide about 30% less volume.
On many occasions I have had people do training with me and when comparing to my machine, their comment is always "why is your detector so much louder than mine".
I plug my GME speaker into their machine, and hey presto.

I can make up single GME speakers for $60. This includes a quality Amphenol plug and a heavy duty spring clip for attaching to your harness.

Or the Dual ones as per link: http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/steelphase-dual-speaker-set/

sprintz25 said:
Hi,

I need to buy a speaker for my GPX 5000 so myself and my wife can both listen at the same time. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good cheap(ish) speaker?

Thanks in advance,

James

Hi, I have a (NEW GME speaker) which is nice and clear on a (MINELAB GPX 5000) which you can have for ($15 plus postage) here are some photos of it.

You can EMAIL ME, AFTER YOU HAVE A TOTAL OF 10 POSTS!

1578886182_20200113_111002.jpg
1578886281_20200113_111058.jpg
1578886372_20200113_111559.jpg

PhaseTech said:
I find that non-GME speakers provide about 30% less volume.
On many occasions I have had people do training with me and when comparing to my machine, their comment is always "why is your detector so much louder than mine".
I plug my GME speaker into their machine, and hey presto.

I can make up single GME speakers for $60. This includes a quality Amphenol plug and a heavy duty spring clip for attaching to your harness.

Or the Dual ones as per link: http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/steelphase-dual-speaker-set/

yep nenads right them gme ones are real good quality,not sure if he does them but finders in Kalgoorlie sell them modded with a volume dial fitted,they are rippers.....

and ya all forgot about the Treasure Mate .... v3 n v4 n v5 on the ways ...

So so sorry guys, after posting this initially and getting a few replies i logged in yesterday and looked up the threads i'm subscribed too and found all of these new posts.

I had read some other posts on this forum in the last few weeks but didnt receive any notifications that anyone else had replied to this post.

So i checked my junk folder in my email account and sure enough there were many notifications inside.

I looked into the Steelphase initially but went with the Miners Den $30 speaker, the same one that Redfin recommended.

Having just spent $5k plus on the GPX 5000, and although the Steelphase looks great and i will probably end up with one in the short to medium term, I want to get to know the detector first without too many add on's (and to be honest i dont have a heap of spare money left over just now) and then i'll appreciate the improvement that the Steelphase brings later on.

So thanks to everyone who replied, hopefully my notifications by email is sorted now and i'll be a bit more responsive when new posts come in.

Thanks again,

James

buy a speaker microphone off fleabay, change the mic plug to suit if needed. Just make sure it comes with a clip to attach the mic to your shirt or detector harness

Hi all, my gpx 5000 wont power up ,the battery says it fully charged solid green light cable is tight ,any ideas? All I have done is put rubber toggle switch covers on the switchs which is nothing

Ian

Take the cover off the power switch an see if it turns on you may have limited it,s movement.
Easy to do
Jim

Hi there. I have recently purchased a GPX5000 (have used an SDC 2300 for the past 2 years) and now been out a couple of times starting to learn how it works. One thing frustrating me is the number of false signals I am getting. The ground I have been working has been quite wet (GT area) and I am wondering if this might have something to do with it? I am using the standard 11 commander mono coil. Look forward to hearing from experienced 5000 users who can no doubt give me some pointers!
Cheers Wendy

Wet ground can cause mineralisation to give off a signal, have you tried the DD coil at the same time as a process of elimination, have you tried an area you know has quite ground (pipe clay mullock heaps) It sounds like a combination of ground noise and experience with regard to settings. The GPX is a whole different machine to the SDC. Do you prospect with others who have experience with the GPX5000 if not it will benefit you if you can an alternative is to do a one on one tutorial /training day.

Have a squizz at this thread :Y:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22783

Thanks for your response RM. I have not had the same problem on mullock heaps. Its just when I have been working across a slope. I am sure its all about experience and getting used to the GPX. As you say, a completely different proposition to the SDC. I am going to do a one day training session but had planned to wait for a few months until I was a bit more familiar with the machine and the various settings and issues. Both days I have been out, it has been very wet so I am thinking that might be part of the problem. BTW, the link you sent appears to be either not correct or out of date. Appreciate your feedback.

cheers Wendy

:D Hi mungomeg (Wendy!)

Do welcome any repeatable signal with your gpx.

Spend a second or two and scrape the leaves and sticks etc off the surface and detect again guaging the response.

If still there...

Scrape the top 100mm off the surface. If the gpx response is not louder or more confirmed as a target you are probably dealing with 'ground noise'

This can be the 'halo effect' from degraded mettalic rusts, concentrations of carbon, ie., buried burnt tree residuals, roots and can be compounded simply by recent rainfall and general damp ground as you have identified.

Also the effect of small holes created by small creature's nests will sometimes create a similar response.

Likely, if you have not gained a better target signal by getting closer and down to a presumed target - this might be what you are experiencing.

All detectorists accept this as a phenomenum with electronic detecting and I and presunably others have chased this dragon at times!

Am nodding as I read your response Stevewilko. Makes a lot of sense. I am being very patient and using each day out as a training session. Its time and experience. Cant rush either. Learning heaps from those of you who have been there and done that. Thankyou.

Wendy, it's also difficult to pinpoint why, as you don't mention the settings you use.

First tip, make sure the coil cable is snug against the "stalk" of the machine all the way to the control box.

Second thing I've found with my bigger coils is that I do get false signals at times, depending on ground mineralisation. Try running in Enhance on the front panel instead of Special Fine Gold. Also keep in mind, the higher the Rx gain, the more sensitive the detector is.

Well, I'm a bit pissed off. I just typed all this and the computer crashed and I lost it all. Brought back memories of the Microsoft of years gone by.... :argh:

I'll try again.

The GPX5000 combined with the original Commander coil should be more user friendly and stable than your SDC2300.

The first thing to check is "What metal do you have in your possession?"
The most obvious, metal in your boots. They might work perfectly well with the SDC but the 5000 will seek out anything metallic within a much wider range. I recently bought metal free boots from Target. They are quite good boots but the zip sets off the 4500 before the coil gets near my toes.

Then there's the phone, leave it back at camp. Mark the camp on your GPS then turn it off before putting it in a pocket somewhere high above the reach of the coil. If it's in your pants it'll pick it up. Mount your PLB well away as well, we have ours in the middle of our back.

The pick can be a problem as well. I've seen people with a magnet screwed into the end of the handle and then then hang it from their belt. It'll upset the detector with every step. Sometimes the head of the pick is a problem at belt height, you just have to relocate it if it gives you trouble. I'm forever shoving mine back out of range.

1581860105_gpx5000.jpg

Perhaps the most important setting is ENHANCED. If you are not running enhanced this simple switch could fix all your problems.

Switch settings;

GENERAL
ENHANCED
MONO
FIXED

Then, hold down the ON/OFF switch on start-up. This will give you the option of resetting factory settings. Choose ALL SETTINGS.
Then, as long as you are away from town and power lines, press the AUTO TUNE and hold the detector steady until it finishes the scan, about a minute.
Then, find a bit of clean ground and ground balance the detector.

Now you should have good stable settings to get you started finding gold in most circumstances. You and tamper with settings further once you become familiar with your detector.

Good luck... :)

Latest posts