QED Use/Settings - Review of Each Detecting Trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hippy - I was reading your For Sale section thread and it got me thinking about the tests I did and something that was recently written over on AEGPF.

I thought doing the tests in Factory Preset was best because everyone can replicate them exactly.

But, I didnt take in to account the THS B Null effect. Factory Preset is 50 which on my unit is above Null. Usually my Null is around the 45 or 46.

On your unit 50 might be right at Null.

On Daves unit it might be below Null.

With the 50 cent coin being what I would consider a larger/falling pitch target then our units would all get a different reading as they are set at different Null points.

I can repeat them if you like with the 1 change being that I will find the Null point first?

Cheers, NE.

That would be cool if you dont mind northeast thanks. I will try bench testing again tommorow and also just try setting to null also. Would you mind posting your best possible result with 5o cent coin also as best i could do with trying to max out settings was 25cm. I couldnt increase on that no matter what.
Thanks for the help out.
Jason

Alrighty, just had a play with the 50 cent pieces. Actually tried 4 different years of manufacture through from 1970 to 2014 in case there were different metal make-ups - it made no difference.

Factory default with Quest wireless through ear buds turned right up.

Firstly it was ridiculously noisy with EMI. Turned off wifi internet which made no difference. Turned off down lights in the kitchen and EMI instantly almost nothing! WTF? :8 Turned them back on and they squealed like bastards again. Interesting.
So, all lights in the house off with me in the kitchen with a head torch on testing 50 cent pieces on a detector for some bloke Ive never met! My wife says she loves but sometimes I wonder why :lol:

Anyway, low THS B was 40, upper THS B point 52 and therefore Null about 46. This is usual for my unit. And this is where it gets interesting.

As the upper THS B point was optimised the readings actually improved to 30cm (remembering previous test was at THS B of Factory Default of 50).

At THS B 40 the reading was about 25cm.

But at Null (46) it was 20cm! Now I know people use THS B at Null and then ramp up THS A to a max of 90 to compensate but I still feel it loses depth. Just my opinion on my machine.

If I get a chance tomorrow evening Ill stick the speaker on and make a vid. The wife and kids love it when I do that sort of thing :argh:

Hope this helps Hippy or anyone :Y:

hippyhunter, I don't know if you did an introductory course when you purchased your QED, but it sounds like you need one, and your 'problems' have been seized upon by the professional QED knockers and saboteurs on the 1.5 forum, who have quoted your postings, gleefully claiming that this is proof of the inferior performance of the PL2.
Northeast has done his best to be helpful, and he is an experienced QED user, but I feel you desperately need some hands on guidance. It appears that both you and Dave 63 are struggling to adapt to a new type of detector. I find this a bit puzzling, but then again I have been using all manner of detectors, including Minelab prototypes since 1979, so have little trouble adapting to new technology.
I suggest you organize some instruction from Brian (Goldman), whom I believe sold you your detector. If you can organize to be in central Victoria some time I could spend some time with you and sort out your confusion. This offer also extends to Dave 63 should he wish to avail himself.
If you think that this can be of benefit please let me know.

Northeast said:
Alrighty, just had a play with the 50 cent pieces. Actually tried 4 different years of manufacture through from 1970 to 2014 in case there were different metal make-ups - it made no difference.

Firstly it was ridiculously noisy with EMI. Turned off wifi internet which made no difference. Turned off down lights in the kitchen and EMI instantly almost nothing! WTF? :8 Turned them back on and they squealed like bastards again. Interesting.
So, all lights in the house off with me in the kitchen with a head torch on testing 50 cent pieces on a detector for some bloke Ive never met! My wife says she loves but sometimes I wonder why :lol:

Anyway, low THS B was 40, upper THS B point 52 and therefore Null about 46. This is usual for my unit. And this is where it gets interesting.

As the upper THS B point was optimised the readings actually improved to 30cm (remembering previous test was at THS B of Factory Default of 50).

But at Null (46) it was 20cm! Now I know people use THS B at Null and then ramp up THS A to a max of 90 to compensate but I still feel it loses depth. Just my opinion on my machine.

If I get a chance tomorrow evening Ill stick the speaker on and make a vid. The wife and kids love it when I do that sort of thing :argh:

Thanks northeast.very kind of you to help. Bow those results sound a bit closer to what i was s seeing (apart from the 30cm. But will try thsb adjustment this morning after work and report back..
Cheers again. Hope i can return a favour sometime :Y:

Reg Wilson said:
hippyhunter, I don't know if you did an introductory course when you purchased your QED, but it sounds like you need one, and your 'problems' have been seized upon by the professional QED knockers and saboteurs on the 1.5 forum, who have quoted your postings, gleefully claiming that this is proof of the inferior performance of the PL2.
Northeast has done his best to be helpful, and he is an experienced QED user, but I feel you desperately need some hands on guidance. It appears that both you and Dave 63 are struggling to adapt to a new type of detector. I find this a bit puzzling, but then again I have been using all manner of detectors, including Minelab prototypes since 1979, so have little trouble adapting to new technology.
I suggest you organize some instruction from Brian (Goldman), whom I believe sold you your detector. If you can organize to be in central Victoria some time I could spend some time with you and sort out your confusion. This offer also extends to Dave 63 should he wish to avail himself.
If you think that this can be of benefit please let me know.

Hi reg.i am sorry that people on that disgusting forum are using me to talk smack. It is true i am having issues wrapping my head atound things. I did do a training day with brian and seemed to be going along ok that fay. Then next time i went out i was having severe problems even getting gb worked out and stabilty. Just seemed like anuthing i thought i knew about setting up didnt work. Ef. I couldnt get the gb proceedure to let me know what to do as it stayed silent coil bobbing on factory reset.
I am fairly confident its as simple as me doing something wrong though.
Am going to go to warrandyte during the week to have another go at setup anyway before i bother goldman.
Sorry again people are taking advantage of my issues, but i can either not talk aboit itand be stuck or talk about it and hopefully resolve .
If the issue is feom my incompetence i will definately make it clear anyway as i dont want to be a basher.
Thanks for your offer of assistance. Hopefully i can nut it out.cheers. jason

Null on my New detector is 50 which is convenient.

As you read above Reg both my detector and coil where replaced under warranty. So I think I had a reason to be struggling, but training is the best way to learn. I may be down Mexico way in late Feb for a birthday. So if this comes to pass I will be hitting someone up for a training session.

Those idiots on 1.5 forum are just jealous not going back to that forum again.

Ok managed some thsb bench tests and got some wierd results. Got to do itwith the lights on too so thats a bonus.
First i tried adjusting thsb in normal detecting position.
This is where it gets a bit wierd..
Thsb low came in at 19. Thats where i started getting noise with still coil (as i judged it with the high)
High thsb came at 80. That made my null 49.
When i lifted itto the table at high or low thsb it went from quiet in the hand to noisy on the bench (high thsb gave a high pitch threshhold and low thsb gave a low threshold like a raspberry)
At 19 thsb it broke the threshold more than signal and that was at 12cm.
At 80 thsb it broke the threshold noise at 15cm.
Then i jist tried to find null leaving the detector on the bench.
Low thsb was 47 and i gota dig me signal at 19cm.
High thsb was 55 and got an ok signal @ 20cm.
Null 51 this time and that netted 19cm also.
These test signal where only ok. Definately not banging signals like when coin passes at 10cm.
They where definately diggable though

Also a little bit interesting is the best result i could get was with a threshold on thsb 659which i could break at 25cm. But it was super hard to pick the signal from the random noise.
This seems a bit nqr to me as a novice.surely i should be able to thsb setup in normal detecting position and not putting the detector on a bench to set. Plus the distances sound low.
Whats your thoughs northeast and/or reg?
Thanks

Dave 63, if you get down my way some time I would be happy to give you a few pointers, no charge as I'm sure within a short time you will find setting your QED can be quick and easy. Familiarity results in tuning coming as second nature, and adjusting any type of detector takes a little getting used to.

hippyhunter, PL2s with DSM GB require higher GB setting than earlier software models. In my area this figure can be as high as 220 and in hotter ground can be even higher, so it is important to have your ground balance set correctly. DSM is more 'forgiving' than the earlier version, but it is still important to get it as right as possible.
How you set your thsb will depend on how much threshold you like to work with, but the null point may vary a little from machine to machine. I don't worry about the null point but place more emphasis on getting just a barely audible threshold either higher or lower than null, depending on coil size and intended target size. I like to use noise cancelling headphones or ear buds, in conjunction with WiFi which can require different thsb settings than speaker.
Factory default for thsa is 30, but a higher setting may be beneficial depending on audio and personal preference. I like to run at about 60 which suits my audio, but this is up to what you feel comfortable with. If you have set your thsb then increased your thsa then you will notice that thsb has increased and you may have to go back and reset it.
Setting mode and gain will be dependant on coil choice and mineralization of the area that you are working. The ideal is having gain as high as possible, and mode as low. This is a compromise situation, and experimentation will provide workable settings. Coils do make a big difference here; for example when running my X coil I find I can run in mode 1 and a high gain with perfect smoothness in very nasty ground, whereas other coils require a higher mode setting and lower gain to be usable.

Hope this is of some help, but if more specific information is required let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

I just located my problem anyway. My detech 11" coil is buggered.
I tried the sadie and the dd commander and gb is fine. Bit of a rookie error not trying coil sooner. Good news i guess.. just a coil to deal with now. Thats wierd because my other detectors coil broke yesterday too and both 11 inch.
Thanks for the assistance though northeast and reg.

This could only happen because i am new to this detector i suppose. If i had run it several times before at least i just would have thought stuffed coil almost immediately.. at least the same day maybee.. possibly the next day..... i woild definately have thought about it by the next week. Or something like that ;)

Not being able to ground balance at wedderburn would cause some dramas i guess. Will have to forget my last outing then and stick with it. I dont feel as frustrated now. Only about the fact that i had a horrible day that was 18 hours long for nothing. Ah well. Lesson learnt

Tried all other coils and they all worked fine. I checked the detech cable for any cuts that might be causing an issue. I straightened the cable out a bit while i was doing it. I couldnt find any cuts, but plugged it back into the qed while not connected to the upper shaft and flicked it on and the gb worked this time. Maybee i wrapped it around the shaft too firmly or more likely the plug may not have been in perfectly straight at the control box end due to bad shaft winding positioning?

Northeast said:
Alrighty, just had a play with the 50 cent pieces.

Factory default .. low THS B was 40, upper THS B point 52 and therefore Null about 46. This is usual for my unit. And this is where it gets interesting.

My results for a clear response on the 50c coin using Factory Default with an 8" mono.

THS-B Null (45) produced the same as Northeast at 20cm.

Lowered THS-B by 6 below Null to 39 and the result was 25cm.

Raised THS-B by 6 above Null to 51 and the result was 30cm.

G'Day Hippy

Your problem sounded just like mine, was going to suggest yesterday that your coil may be no good. I had my 11" swapped under warranty as you would have read. Once I realized I was a victim of bad luck I also felt so much better. As I wrote earlier my detector and coil are now working perfectly. I just forgot about all previous drama and treated the situation as I just received my QED for the first time again. I feel very confident that all my trips this year will produce as much yellow as any ML if not more.

Thx reg I will take you up on that training. There is no one up here to ask.

Reg I will be in Vic ready for a swing 1-6 March. 1 March would be a good day for training. If so let me know where to be etc

Cheers

Dave

Dave63 said:
G'Day Hippy

Your problem sounded just like mine, was going to suggest yesterday that your coil may be no good. I had my 11" swapped under warranty as you would have read. Once I realized I was a victim of bad luck I also felt so much better. As I wrote earlier my detector and coil are now working perfectly. I just forgot about all previous drama and treated the situation as I just received my QED for the first time again. I feel very confident that all my trips this year will produce as much yellow as any ML if not more.

Thx reg I will take you up on that training. There is no one up here to ask.

Hey dave,
Yeah, reading back your troubles did sound the same pretty much. I will always be more carefull when connecting different coils from now on. My other detector is a wireless connection so this is all new to me.
Im definately treating the next trip as my first time out instead of the last trip. I will have a bit of an advantage though as of the previous 8 hours in hand, plus it will run a lot better and less noise which will probably give me more enthusiasm. I will have to remember to drink water this time as i got so engrossed last time i forgot to drink and suffer heat stroke for an hour. Ooops
Ill be happy to find one nugget for starters. :lol:
Have a good day

Northeast said:

A vid would be cool n/e. I will have another go at the 50c test on the weekend too. I need a day or two rest from it to refresh i think.