Can you legally go panning in Warrandyte State Park Victoria.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still pan warrandyte from the car park and while everyone says its flogged i still get gold there every time.

Andersons Creek is almost everyone's training ground in Melbournes north / east, easy to get to and close to city dwellers. plus its a lovely area.

move away up or down from the car park and dig deep, look for natural rock placement (lines of bigger rocks) from flood rather than man built piles. try the bedrock crevices. scrape the top of clay layers, take the whole clay layer and brush or suck up against the bed rock. old gravel layers also exist that have practically turned to concrete and can be crushed up to release any gold deposited within.

best hole i worked turned out at least 1.5 grams over a couple trips. nice flat flakes, a cpl pickers from the broken up gravels. i even used a suction tube & paint brush against the bedrock at the bottom to get it all.

if you see me down there come over say hello, the black 4x4 on my profile stands out :)

djpearson said:
I still pan warrandyte from the car park and while everyone says its flogged i still get gold there every time.

Andersons Creek is almost everyone's training ground in Melbournes north / east, easy to get to and close to city dwellers. plus its a lovely area.

move away up or down from the car park and dig deep, look for natural rock placement (lines of bigger rocks) from flood rather than man built piles. try the bedrock crevices. scrape the top of clay layers, take the whole clay layer and brush or suck up against the bed rock. old gravel layers also exist that have practically turned to concrete and can be crushed up to release any gold deposited within.

best hole i worked turned out at least 1.5 grams over a couple trips. nice flat flakes, a cpl pickers from the broken up gravels. i even used a suction tube & paint brush against the bedrock at the bottom to get it all.

if you see me down there come over say hello, the black 4x4 on my profile stands out :)

If i see you mate, i'll come say hello. Thanks for the advice too.

freemedia said:
Thanks Beagleboy! I'll heed that sewerage advice!
Back on the topic, so your answer is that there is no prospecting allowed in the creek outside of the Warrandyte state park designated area where it flows through? even though the creek begins way before the state park and exits outside of the state park? Would the creek thats outside of the park not fall into Crown or council land which would potentially make it allowable?

Cheers :)

Andersons Creek is on the exempted list, along with all other tributaries of the Yarra above the Plenty. Basically the whole catchment, whether National Park, State forest, other crown land or private. The exemption is effectively overwritten in a small area by the park rules which allow (limited) panning.

I went to Andersons in weekend for a couple of hours mainly to sluice with a new toy. Got 3 specks sluicing and then hit a crevice right next to waterline. Got one flake and 2 more specks using a Huntley spoon to get the bottom. I nearly didnt find the speck as i couldnt quite reach the last pile i scraped up. Managed to get eventually. Would have left that flake there without my trusty huntley spoon. There is gold there but you must go deeper or where mist people dont go...legally.

Sluicing? I was at Anderson's last week and there was no flow, just a few leech-filled puddles. Enough to pan - and yes there's still gold there.

Great thread AM1990.. I'm new to this as well and the confusion on what areas are exempt or not is, well,,, confusing lol

Great job on finding some colour. Keep at it

I'm not 100% but with the recent rain I would think you would find a spot in the allowed area to set a sluice up. Just check around for a spot the creek drops down.
Good luck :Y:

HippyProspecting said:
I'm not 100% but with the recent rain I would think you would find a spot in the allowed area to set a sluice up. Just check around for a spot the creek drops down.
Good luck :Y:

Thanks HippyProspecting.

Its usually got some movement (snakes). If not Ill have a pan for a fleck or two. I donno where else to go nearby really. Yarra is connected to everything and they are a no go :/

I went and looked at long gully once and there are signs saying it's a parks victoria reserve. So I left the pan in the boot and had a walk around instead and noticed lots of old workings.

I will have to look in to it as I thought reserves were out of bounds so i have just steered clear of all of them

Hey folks..
Can anyone possibly shed some light on laws around panning in plenty river? I have read a few different things and it has confused me as to if i can or cant and where i can or cant. Sorry to be a hassle!
Cheers

Hi all,

New to this forum. This is my First post.

Only been panning for a couple of years, I too have lived in Victoria for over 5 years from the UK. Be good to chat sometime to fellow UK prospectors, well and anyone on here. lol

I have learned from an old timer who has done it for years. He knows how to get gold.

As far as Warrandyte goes, I pan there regularly, only finding a few flakes here and there, trying new methods to get better and elevating my probability of getting better pans.
I have found learning panning is not too hard, refining it comes with experience, but reading the creek is much harder, getting better over time and learning where I get the best gold.

Looking at the rules, its already been discussed, Yarra River is totally banned, and so is the tributaries above the Plenty River which is near Templestow. So effectively, any creeks in Warrandyte are banned UNLESS they are in the state park, always found it hard to find the borders of the Park, so I currently just stick to the common spots to be safe.

Be good if anyone could let me know the edges we are allowed up to.

So thanks for any replies, Ill be posting many more.

Only a short section of Anderson's Creek is available and its marked by markers, access is from the gold memorial car park.
I don't understand what you are asking about edges? If your referring to digging into the bank outside of the creek bed, that
is not permitted.

Edges meaning boundaries of the park. Sorry, did not explain myself well, did read a little confusing.

All good mate, you answered my question.

Thanks.

Latest posts