How to spot a fake Minelab GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really worthwhile subject.
Does anyone know if there are fake Gold Monsters around.

I drove 2 hrs to look at one in a Cashies, for $699, gut feeling it should have been more uniform in the clippy things that held the cord to the shaft.

The clips were not exactly the same. The oval coil seemed very plasticky, not same as my X terra 705 coils.

So light as well. Having never seen one before I walked.

I can't afford to lose that amount of money.

They said they don't give out serial numbers because dodgies can then say it's theirs & was stolen.

If someone could post a pic of the coil from a few angles that would be great.

Cheers
Angela

1579326318_screen_shot_2020-01-18_at_1.42.51_pm.jpg

1579326375_02.jpg

Greenriver, the GM is very light, & the coils do look & feel flimsy. The whole unit is built light.
I haven't heard of or seen any fakes as yet (but its bound to happen).
While you are looking the unit over, that is the time to go to the Minelab webpage & go to the S/N check link, & plug the number in there & then. You probably wont know if its stolen, but it will tell you if its a legit number.
Same goes for all the Minelab machines.
If the seller wants to stop you doing the check, then best to keep your money in your pocket & walk out.

DED

Thanks DD, I was just so surprised by the look of the unit, don't mean to be insulting to anyone who owns one.
Will know next time I come across one.
GR

GreenRiver said:
Thanks DD, I was just so surprised by the look of the unit, don't mean to be insulting to anyone who owns one.
Will know next time I come across one.
GR

Maybe go to a shop that sells them and check one out physically.

I think this world is getting worse for thefts and scams and whatever else these grubs think up. I heard someone makes imitation vehicle number plates, sticker shops I think, then the grubs check carsales or gumtree or car yards for the same make of vehicle in the same colour then have that rego printed and stick it over their own plates when they speed, go through red lights, do robberies, do fuel station drive-offs, and the latest was evading tolls.

I've had a few Nigerian scammers try it on over the years but now I'm getting Chinese (I think) start jabbering as they do, as soon as I answer. I politely tell them to not bother me and hang up. What's that about?

I am happy to welcome all participants. My name is Evgeni. I'm from Russia. Reading your posts is very interesting. I want to buy 5000. But I don't want to buy in Russia. Wrote a message to Minelab. I haven't received an answer yet. Sorry for my poor English. If there is advice on buying I will be very happy. Thanks. Good luck to everyone.

Evgeni, it is generally very safe buying a new detector from a store or dealer in Australia.
Select a store or dealer you wish to deal with, then ask about them on this forum, & you are bound to get many replies relating to people's experience dealing with them.
It is not common to find a bad dealer in Australia. They get taken down or corrected very quickly

Thank you guys so much. You are responsive. I wrote to the seller. I can't just show you the address. The moderator does not skip.
1582644925_screenshot_20200225-182133_chrome.jpg

I wonder if they will design one for the sdc2300.
I`d like one with a straight cable and was going to ask Minelab for a Special Order on their 8`` Original Coil but i guess that would be a Foolish ask.

I didn't think the original gpx was so hard to buy. Here's what I was told::
Hi - I am unable to ship outside of Australia - Kind Regards - Gold Digger Dave
:awful:

thanks for the links. it may seem ridiculous but I want to buy a device in the manufacturers homeland.

Evgeni said:
thanks for the links. it may seem ridiculous but I want to buy a device in the manufacturers homeland.

The franchises in other countries are protected from that happening.

Latest posts