Good Reason To Wear Gloves While Detecting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I'd do this post as a reminder to keep your eyes open while detecting.
If it's not the snakes, big Orb webs and other spiders, bull ants trying to attack you when you least expect it and to top it off these little creatures appear from nowhere.
I thought it would be a good topic for newbies to the hobby and a reminder to the seasoned prospectors out there too.

Anyway, here's what happened today while out having a swing.....

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifx6tF4Jqc[/video]

Nah just ground noise, seems every time I video a target it's junk and when I decide to not video it turns out gold lol.
Only got a small .16g with the GPX and a good quartz specimen with the GM, not worth posting a pic.

Gloves are an essential piece of gear in my kit.Always coming across broken glass,pottery shards,rusty tin and chopped up aluminium cans,let alone the insects.Wearing gloves has saved my hands a few times.I bet you would know you're alive if stung by a scorpion.

Gday

Always wear gloves while detecting, plenty of bities in the sand over here, scorpions, big ass centipedes, spiders and such, but as I do a bit of coin and relic hunting its mainly to save from cuts from glass and rusty metals that litter the places where the coins are, also druggy syringes laying about o the beaches as well, we also have some really vicious prickles like double gees that will go through the gloves sometimes but some protection is better than none.

If you are in the bush even a scratch can be enough to send you home or hospital if it gets infected enough.

cheers

stayyerAU

StayyerAU said:
Gday

If you are in the bush even a scratch can be enough to send you home or hospital if it gets infected enough.

cheers

stayyerAU

Threw my thongs away 20+ years ago and now always wear sneakers around camp and boots while detecting.
Staked a big toe, went in under toenail while wearing the thongs, got infected which cut my trip short.
Lesson learned. :argh:

Nice soft & good quality riggers gloves for digging the deeper holes......
my hands have gone soft over the yaers

I brushed one off that was crawling over my toes yesterday. Was digging a hole near the house and had thought it was just an ant.
They aren't considered dangerous though, unless your allergic or have other issues going on. They do hurt though and not not like a little bee sting, but seriously impossibly messed up level of pain. I got stung by one a few years back and in the fog of messed up thought while experiencing intense pain considered chopping my foot off with a chainsaw...

Turns out you just put ice on it for at least half an hour or more(or swap between hot and cold packs). Try to avoid giving yourself frostbite but if you get stung you won't be caring about anything other than getting rid of the pain.

The bright side is that due to the intense pain your body releases a mass of endorphins so l was basically high as and extremely happy for hours after the pain went.

I degloved my little finger while moving a log to get a target under it. Was on a good patch that day with all gold targets then disaster struck, heaved the log over and caught finger between log and sharp quartz boulder. End result was missing finger tip. Went back the next day to get target, ended up being a paper staple, bugger!! Gloves may have save it??

Lots of these little buggers around Dunolly.
1578543424_a004.jpg

Definitely gloves. I am lazy to put them on. Nearly paid the price with bullants, since the target was under it's nest. Before i could even start to dig, i was getting attacked (in defense of their nest) and bitten up my leg (with long pants on). They get into your shoes and climb up your leg and i put my hand in and nearly got my hand bitten. Lucky i am not allergic. I got bitten about 5 times all up around my feet area since the one that got into my shoe was accidentally being squished, so it was defending itself.

On the same day had a lovely spider in the face after walking into a web. You don't notice the web until you have walked into it already and allow and behold, hello spider. Fortunately it was nothing lethal.

I have some in my bag but have never used them, well next time out there going on my hands and staying on. :Y:

Gday all

This was the second time it has happened about 6 months ago- while digging up a target I was just about to swap from pick to hands ( no gloves) and I thought nah, not a great idea, Ill use the scoop) then it happened. Big funnellweb pops out. :skull: :poop: :argh:
Yeah I know it only happens super rarely, but people play the lotto with worse odds!

Bad photo but its the dark shape to the right of my hand.
1580790630_420e8a0b-9e6d-42b0-9526-1451cba2cf3e.jpg

Latest posts