50 gram limit!!?? NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found at Jupiter Creek in Sep last year, but very very rare :) and, yes S. Oz not Africa, lol

1579176680_jupiter.jpg

cairnspom said:
condor22 said:
Similar in as S.A. in one way. Here's it's not called prospecting, but fossicking. The simple rule here is, if you find gold, you can keep it for its intrinsic value. However, you can't sell it as it's still owned by the "Crown"

Ridiculous, I detect in VIC, have miners rights, who in there wildest dreams wouldn't just go over the border and sell it there. Once it's melted down and refined gold is gold.

If you found over 50gr in 48 hours in N.S.W., I'd like to meet the inspector that will be hovering over your shoulder to check his watch, lol :)

Its why no-one has ever found gold in S.A.! ;)
Old mate on the weekend prospector pulled up a nice piece on national telly season one. Swear it was Jupiter creek and he was off to the gold buyer. .Citizens arrest time

Decoy said:
7.10.2. 50 grams of gold (or 5 nuggets of 10 grams or greater);

This line reads that you can pick up 5 nuggets weighing over 10 grams, I can see this getting reworded, this effectively overrides the 50 gram limit.
A person could find 5x 10kg nuggets in one 48hr period. :perfect:

There is a similar rule in the NT regarding weight limits per trip and finds over a certain size has to be reported to the mines department of location where it was

3. How much can I collect?

Fossicking can be conducted for recreational purposes but not for commercial gain.

You can extract the following amounts of rocks, minerals or crystals:

100 gm of gold, including nuggets
1 kg of gemstones
20 kg of a mineral other than gold or gemstones
100 kg of mineral bearing material
100 kg of ornamental stones
Should a nugget/s in excess of 100 gm be discovered, you may keep your find providing any required consents have been complied with and the Minister is notified of the location of the gold within 28 days of the discovery.

Sandbagger said:
What the?

7.7. Disturb more than one cubic metre of material during any period of 48 hours
7.8. Damage or remove bush rock (not being a mineral)
7.9. Enter any quarries or gravel pits
7.10. Remove in any 48 hour period more than:
7.10.1. 5 kilograms of minerals (other than gold or gemstones);
7.10.2. 50 grams of gold (or 5 nuggets of 10 grams or greater);
7.10.3. 5 nuggets of gold of 10 gms or greater;
7.10.4. 100 grams of gemstones; or
7.10.5. 10 kg of mineral-bearing material (other than above).

Baz.

7.10.5 just throw all your other gold in a bucket with some dirt (unknown mineral bearing dirt)

What happens if you get caught over your gold limit, do they do a catch and release program, do they replant the excess gold you found or keep it

Gem in I said:
So these rules apply only IF you hold a license hhhmmm. :/ Interesting
:D No. These are the rules for all of NSW where there is no licence/miners right required. They apply to everyone.
Sandbagger in the original post would be talking about his NSW State Forest Fossicking Permit which is only required if you are going into a State Forest to fossick/prospect but the rules are the same.

OldGT said:
cairnspom said:
condor22 said:
Similar in as S.A. in one way. Here's it's not called prospecting, but fossicking. The simple rule here is, if you find gold, you can keep it for its intrinsic value. However, you can't sell it as it's still owned by the "Crown"

Ridiculous, I detect in VIC, have miners rights, who in there wildest dreams wouldn't just go over the border and sell it there. Once it's melted down and refined gold is gold.

If you found over 50gr in 48 hours in N.S.W., I'd like to meet the inspector that will be hovering over your shoulder to check his watch, lol :)

Its why no-one has ever found gold in S.A.! ;)
Old mate on the weekend prospector pulled up a nice piece on national telly season one. Swear it was Jupiter creek and he was off to the gold buyer. .Citizens arrest time
Bahahaha.
Firstly it was planted there for the flog to find.
So it looks good for the television.
Tho he wouldn't know that because he is not a prospector, surprised he even knows what end of the detector to use.
Secondly, it was planted.
You can't sell detectors by showing then dig up trash??

I purchased a NSW permit and it failed to deliver any nuggets over 10grams - does that mean there is a breach of the trade practices act under the false representations provisions ..?....?...?

I am generally happy with the provisions as they are aimed at empowering small scale enterprises and excluding large scale enterprises and justify my activities as complying with;
- water in = water out + some recharging of the streams groundwater = no interference with the streams net water flow.
- turbidity upstream and turbidity several 100m downstream generally the same = not significant

Latest posts