NQMA Making Detecting On Leases Illegal.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have watched this thread for a bit and can't seem to understand what small claim miners get out of this other than bigger companies paying a premium for your smaller leases of epm's then shutting everything out legally later.

Just because average joe pilfers like an opportunistic pig doesn't seem to resonate to the general public that this is the bigger picture?

I am aware the palmer has always been the secret boys club and don't go there unless invited, which I think is a shame for the land/lease holder
but anywho what is the bigger picture (even if short sighted?) you aim to get from the NQMA (or is it one's who's name is not to be spoken of like voldermort or something?)

So can anyone tell me what this proposed change means for mum & dad hobby detectorists like me who just want somewhere to take the kids to look for a bit of gold? I'm based in Cairns and it's hard enough already having to drive 6 hours to Georgetown, if we get locked out of there it's 10 hours to Clermont.

I dont believe there will be any change to designated fossiking area's, or areas that are pay to detect, that already have agreements in place with EPM holders.
There is a possibility of Gary's fossiking area opening up at Spear creek, and also a rumour of one opening up at the Palmer River, out side the R16.

SteveG said:
That sounds great! Pardon my ignorance but what is the R16?
The R16 is a mining reserve North of the Palmer River. No detecting allowed anywhere except on a mining lease with the permission of the tenure holder.

Hi all,

My attention has been drawn to this conversation twice in recent months and asked to provide an opinion/comment. I generally don't have an interest, or the time to participate in these conversations but there is a lot of mis-information being shared in this conversation. I am a Tenement Consultant, and a keen fossicker (not gold - gemstones and other dirty rocks are my thing).

Over the last 5 or so years, I have had cause to speak with the Mines Department to clarify fossicking rules with both hats on. A few key points are below. Being Friday afternoon, I'm not going to pull out sections of various Acts for reference but I dot point key facts.

1. An exploration permit, granted or otherwise does not provide exclusive grant of the area despite what exploration permit holders may desire. As far as I am aware, this holds true for every State in Australia, however some States/Territories require you to provide written advice to the exploration licence holder prior to entry.
2. An exploration permit grants you the right to explore and essentially first option to develop the resource into production tenure - a holder does not own the mineralisation. Minerals must not be won through exploration activities. IF an exploration permit holder permits a Metal Detector entry, they should be following the conditions of the Land Access Code (2016) as it relates to their tenure - notification to the Land Holder is required. This is pretty murky though, as the intention is to win minerals (see note above).
3. A mining lease application does not prohibit grazier or fossicking activities. If a land holder provides consent for that area, it is considered lawful. Don't blame me, I don't like it either. Respectfully peopel should avoid application areas, unfortunately the appearance of an application on the map seems to attract wrong-doers.
4. The NQMA HAS discussed the matter of mining lease applications becoming off limits for fossicking activities with the Mines Department. After again being pointed to this thread today, I phoned Townsville and spoke with a Manager today and was advised that although the matter had been explored and discussed with high levels of government and legal advice sought, no changes to the current Fossicking Act 1994 are proposed to be made at this time.
5. Someone mentioned EPM's being held and no exploration activities having ever being carried out. We are entering a new age where EPM holders are being held to account and they are being made to prove their activities, apply for variations and state their cases if they have failed to meet their obligations. in 2019 a significant area of land was opened up after companies were made to relinquish sub-blocks and surrender permits in their entirety due to failure to meet exploration and expenditure conditions. The landscape is changing.
6. The Palmer River Resource Reserve (formerly the R16) strictly prohibits fossicking/metal detecting activities. Consent by the Land Holder will not be given therefore you will be trespassing. It is disrespectful to the Cultural & Heritage values of the area and to the Miners who are conditioned heavily with their activities as they relate to those values.
7. I have been advised in two separate conversations, with two officers in the Field and Land Access team that the State of Queensland is not interested in pursuing prosecution against trespassers when it comes to fossicking activities. This appears to be the position of multiple agencies who have authority to pursue these matters (I will let you infer meaning, I won't elaborate). This is causing a lot of friction with Land Holders, I speak with multiple each week. Some of these guys may actually allow you to enter and detect if you approach them in the right manner rather than sneak in (not suggesting members of this forum do this, but many do).
8. Prospecting permits are not really issued any more with the exception of the purposes of pegging. You can make an application but native title must be addressed and a security payable to DNRME is payable. I spoke with (yet another) DNRME staff member today who advised that they do not issue them these days.
9. There has been a bit of mud-slinging on this public forum. Not real cool. In relation to the NQMA, if you have questions, attend a meeting. They are held 5 times a year in Mareeba and are generally open to any person wishing to attend. If you have concerns about industry, or your rights get involved and have your say. Emailing via the info email is okay, but I imagine pretty time consuming for a volunteer committee.
10. A lot of BS gets around about the Goldhounds, often by people with axes to grind for one reason or another. A lot of the information relating to the compliance action is mis-represented in the gossip. As Dave wrote earlier, a right to information application was sought and some things came to light. I do not want to get into it in an open forum. These are good men with families and the continued smearing of them over what amounts to malicious gossip is slanderous (in my opinion in any case). Let sleeping dogs lay (pun intended) and move on.

I am not allowed to post links due to my Newbie status but you can easily Google the fossicking (and prospecting) rules and responsibilities (Queensland Business Website), the Fossicking Act 1994 & the Fossicking Regulations 2019.

I don't want to commit a lot of time to this ongoing topic but if you have any questions, shoot them this way and I will try to clarify when I have time.

Cheers
Claire

Hi Claire.
In response to your missive, I would refer you to point (1) Where you state that " some States/Territories require you to provide written advice to the exploration licence holder prior to entry"

OK... this is pure crap... in WA for you to gain entry for prospecting on an EP (exploration permit) you need to apply for and be granted a section 40e permit at a cost of $90
You DO have to advise the PLH of your intended entry and you Do have to advise the EP holder of your prospecting results.

Please don't waste too much time on this topic, you are way out of your depth. ;)

Cheers
mike

Aaaaaah, have a look at the rules in tassie, last time I checked it's a state of australia. No one takes any notice of them but they's still the rules. Might want to check if your feet touch the bottom before accusing other people of being out of their depth in future ;) :lol:

Ok Dave, so what's the regulations in Tasmania regarding detecting on Exploration Permits?

I have quoted as to what is required in WA for a prospector to gain access to an EP.
Point (1) of the post is straight out "carte blanche" misrepresentation and in particularly for the state of Qld..... WRITTEN permission of the PLH is required before ANY access is granted

Come on now, what is needed here are FACTS not suppositions.
A Tenement Consultant......?? ;)

1580066708_rps20200127_062400.jpg

If you go to the MRT tasmania website map viewer and add layers to the map (unavailable areas, mining leases and all categories of exploration leases) you will be able to see how much area is left open to prospectors under this ridiculous system. Luckily the enforcement of the rules is as much of a joke as the rules themselves!

bicter...PLH Pastoral Lease Holder.

Dave.....Thanks, you confirm my reasoning that permission must be obtained for access to ANY mining tenement.....that Tenement is the livelihood of the holder the same way as the Pastoral Lease is the livelihood of the PLH.
Without permission, it is trespass and able to be dealt with by law.
In Qld., DNRME (or the equivalent in any other State) would not prosecute for trespass, it is not their job.
It is a Civil law matter to be dealt with by the Police then through the Court system.

I spent 16 years open cut opal mining in SW Qld. having to negotiate through ML applications and grants, EPM applications plus dealing with ILUA's and OH&S issues.
We learned that allowing fairly unfettered fossicking activity on our leases can lead to very expensive public liability claims.
The only way to overcome this is by after the applicant obtaining written permission from the PLH, then us by giving written permission with a signed disclaimer from the fossicker.

I am very much in favour of the WA system whereby a sec.40e permit grants access to up to 10 graticular blocks of an EPM for 3 months and believe this should be the system adopted by all States. It is a quite straight forward application giving access security to the prospector plus the EPM holder is aware as to what is going on.
mike

I certainly agree with you on the WA system being the best in Australia. It's a win win for both prospectors and lease holders. From what I've seen in in tassie blanket bans on prospecting without permission just breeds contempt for the rules that spills over to active mining leases, national parks and other areas that should be off limits. And the option for leaseholders to ignore or refuse applications for permission for no good reason just makes the situation worse.

Not going to quote the whole thing but Cam wrote : " Respectfully peopel should avoid application areas, unfortunately the appearance of an application on the map seems to attract wrong-doers."

So you are saying it's unethical to detect on ground that a lease has been applied for but not yet granted?

Don't know much about QLD but in WA that is perfectly fine and perfectly legal.
The person(s) who've applied for the lease have every right to detect the ground just as much as the next bloke while the application is pending, which can be months to years in some cases.

*except if it's my pending lease in which case you can all eff off! :D

Here's a brief snapshot of the Fossicking + Prospecting requirements for Exploration tenement (EL/EPM etc.) access by state/territory:
Qld - Notification or consent not required
NSW - Consent required unless the area is in a Fossicking District then no notification or consent required
Vic - Notification or consent not required
SA - Notification or consent not required
NT- Notification or consent not required unless fossicking for gold.
For gold 7 days notification required, no consent required or;
EL where authorised activity is taking place - 14 days notification (Fossicking Request).
Tas - Consent required
WA - 40E permit system, consent from EL holders not required & they are notified by Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety(DMIRS)

The only state with a blanket 100% requirement for consent is Tasmania. NSW is only if outside of Fossicking Districts.
NT & WA are the only state/territory with a permit/notification system in place.
All others have no requirement for Notification or Consent.

Access notifications/permissions to pastoral land, private property, crown lands under management/lease etc. are additional to the above in all states.
Some states also require miners rights, prospecting licence, fossicking permits i.e Qld, Vic, WA & Tas. None required for SA, NT or NSW (NSW Permit is required for State Forests).

The 40E permit system sounds good in theory but IMO wouldn't work well in the Eastern States as a whole of state system i.e. something similar would be good for pastoral land/crown land under grazing permits here etc. but for other crown lands that are largely freely accessible now (Vic & NSW) why would we want change?
The area of Pastoral Land (Crown Land under Pastoral Lease) in WA is around 950,000km2 or 36% of WA land. To put that into perspective the whole of NSW is only 801,150km2. The 40E system is designed around WA & works well there I believe due in part to the sheer size of the place.
Eastern States with less land under pastoral/grazing lease + crown land that is governed by differing state regulations for each state could make a blanket 40E type system a lot more difficult to implement & add even more red tape or in some cases add red tape where there currently isn't any.

Cheers Love,
But I would have done exactly what you said.... let sleeping dogs lie.....

More shit going down? Ring me if you wish?

Latest posts