Tyconnell Gold Mine.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure, we stayed in the cabins years ago and have always been meaning to go back. The owner then told me to come back and detect, but since then it got sold.

I would be interested to know if you find out. I found lots of old diggings and shafts interesting place.

No, detecting at Tyrconnell is not allowed anymore unfortunately. The new owners who developed the high-end Mt Mulligan resort do not allow it

Hey guys I'm 22, I'm the grandson of Charles James archer (Jim) who is one of the speakers for the Gugu Djungan tribe from mt Mulligan I've have been trying to get contact with the new owners and talked to them about what areas people can come out and prospects. There's a far bit of county out there and a lot of it isn't even near Mt Mulligan or the resort, a lot of the country has fences and Gates part of this area called condapringa witch it traditional land, but there are some Ares you can go and prospect

The Federal Court of Australia has recognised the Djungan Peoples exclusive rights to possession, occupation, use and enjoyment over approximately 149,915 ha of land, Mr Cripps said.

The Djungan People also have non-exclusive rights over approximately 33,058 ha of land to be present on, move about, travel, camp, hunt, gather, conduct ceremonies, maintain places of importance and significance and teach in accordance with traditional laws and customs.

T.O said:
Hey guys I'm 22, I'm the grandson of Charles James archer (Jim) who is one of the speakers for the Gugu Djungan tribe from mt Mulligan I've have been trying to get contact with the new owners and talked to them about what areas people can come out and prospects. There's a far bit of county out there and a lot of it isn't even near Mt Mulligan or the resort, a lot of the country has fences and Gates part of this area called condapringa witch it traditional land, but there are some Ares you can go and prospect

The Federal Court of Australia has recognised the Djungan Peoples exclusive rights to possession, occupation, use and enjoyment over approximately 149,915 ha of land, Mr Cripps said.

The Djungan People also have non-exclusive rights over approximately 33,058 ha of land to be present on, move about, travel, camp, hunt, gather, conduct ceremonies, maintain places of importance and significance and teach in accordance with traditional laws and customs.
I have been to Kondoparinga previously but thought it is closed now?

I heard rumors that Kondoparinga wasn't managed well and will be sold, an liquidator was already putting signs on gates..not sure what stage is it in now.
Might happen same what happened with Mt.Mulligan station :/

Luke said:
I heard rumors that Kondoparinga wasn't managed well and will be sold, an liquidator was already putting signs on gates..not sure what stage is it in now.
Might happen same what happened with Mt.Mulligan station :/

Correct, it is currently in liquidation and will be put up for sale at some point. Chris Morris, the billionaire who bought Mt Mulligan station and closed it to prospecting, will probably buy Kondaparinga as well, and close it too.

Honestly though, I've heard from a lot of experienced prospectors that the Tyrconnel / Hodgkinson / Kondoparinga area is not that great for detecting anyway. Not much alluvial gold, mostly a deep reefing area.

15 APRIL 2013

Tyrconnell historic gold mine tourism attraction in FNQ listed for auction

A historic gold mine tourism attraction 140 kilometres west of Cairns has been listed for auction.

The Tyrconnell gold mine (pictured below) commenced operation in 1876 producing large quantities of gold.

l_goldmineapril15breakout.jpg

The mine helped launch the development of Far North Queensland with the establishment of port towns Cairns and Port Douglas.

It was only 16 years ago that the owner shifted their focus from mining to developing a tourist attraction. Andrew Bell and Cate Harley and their family mined for gold at Tyrconnell since the 1980s, but the focus has been on restoring the heritage assets on site and sharing it with visitors since 1997.

goldmineapril15one.jpg

Tyrconnell mine is held under mining leases covering 40 hectares with campsite and four heritage style cottages. Some 120 years ago Tyrconnell was the most famous mine on the Hodgkinson goldfield with several original buildings and machines remnants from the bustling era.

goldmineapril15three.jpg

Colliers International marketing agent, Dan Brown says that rarely do opportunities like this come along.

Its up for May 2 2013 auction.

T.O said:

Hey TO
I believe the station is now back in the hands of the Djungan people via a renewed deed of lease via the efforts the NQ land council, so NOT being sold off as has been suggested. I know the area and it would be great hear back from you.

Latest posts